View Poll Results: How old was your last INDOOR kitty who died?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-3 yrs

4 5.48%
  • 3-6 yrs

2 2.74%
  • 6-9 yrs

4 5.48%
  • 9-12 yrs

6 8.22%
  • 12-15 yrs

15 20.55%
  • 15-18 yrs

18 24.66%
  • 18-21 yrs

17 23.29%
  • 21-24 yrs

6 8.22%
  • 24-27 yrs

1 1.37%
  • 27 & up

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old was your last INDOOR kitty who died?

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: How old was your last INDOOR kitty who died?

My last kitty wasn't always indoors... but when she went out she never wandered far (all my kitties are now indoors though) and she lived till she was 18. She was a purebred Scottish Fold and had always had some health/mobility issues (part of her genetic heritage, I'm afraid) so we were quite surprised and happy at how long she stayed with us! In the end I had her put down because she could no longer walk (I found her sitting in a pool of urine). I don't know how much longer she'd have lived if we hadn't made that decision (but I did so because I didn't feel her quality of life was good anymore).

Mostly my cats (and my parents' cats) get to around 17-18 years. They've been indoor/outdoor cats, but haven't met any premature outdoor cat type fates (honestly my cats would never be outdoors in an area that had a lot of traffic etc.).

So on average, I'd say a "normal" lifespan for a healthy indoor cat is more like 17-18 years (I had one old boy who we suspect was about 20 when he died, but we didn't actually know how old he was).
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

My baby just died at 16. He was technically an indoor cat, but he convinced people to let him out sometimes. He had cancer. (Though he stuck around for nearly a year after they told me he probably had less than two months to live, so there's that.)

My Other's mom's cat just died at 18. Not sure of the cause, she wasn't feeling so good and died in mom's arms at the vet. That cat's brother passed away a couple years ago at 16.

Jeno86

We had to put my little one Kitty (my very first cat) to sleep last October due to a blood clot in her spine that paralyzed her and put her in a lot of pain. She was 15 going on 16. Miss my little familiar so much.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Our last one was a couple months ago, she was 16. We have one here now still living that is 19.
    Working on longer, healthier hair!

Length
    chin/waist/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

My cats hate puzzles, they help far too much! My last cat lived till 18, the one before him lived till 19, but she was indoor/outdoor till 15. I think that sometimes we just get lucky!

Length
    Chin/TBL/44+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

One of the cats I grew up with died at 21, he was an indoor/outdoor kitty though and was killed by a neighbors dog

About half of my mums cats were between 16 and 19 when they died, but she never kept them indoors exclusively, which I'm sad about since many of them met earlier ends thanks to cars and dogs.

My beautiful kitty is indoor only, I have learnt from her mistakes.
    <--Growing wavy virgin TBL hair, with long compact cut layers to Classic. 2b/M/C/ii low porosity.

Length
    29mbl/WL/hip+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My cat died at 19 years old. She was skinny at the end but still looking young and she could still jump to the bed or sofa. But suddenly she stopped eating and drinking and died. I was abroad so I could not say goodbye I had her since I was little kid so it takes time to realize she is gone

Length
    20/waist/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/C/iii

My mom's cat lived till he was 24years old, he kind of adopted us when he was a kitten. He wasn't the healthy type, also had allergies and never cleaned himself so he was matted with furballs all over his body.
    Last edited by ~honeyflower~; September 16th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Type
    1b/M/ii

Chloe was the first completely indoor cat. (well, 2 sisters before that, but they were when I was a baby. ) Unfortunately Chloe passed from kidney disease at age 9.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

We lost a very young cat. He was about two when he passed. When we found him as a kitten, he was quite ill. He was a wee, little thing, so sick that he had diarrhea dried on his fur, and had a raging eye infection to boot. Someone had dumped him out in the snow, and he probably would have died right then if we hadn't grabbed him and gotten him to the vet. It turned out that he had Girardia. He seemed okay for a long time, but then got very ill, dropped a lot of weight and died within a few weeks. From what I have heard from other cat owners, it is not uncommon for cats who have had Girardia to die young. We still miss him!

Our remaining kitties are one middle-aged, malevolent orange thing, probably seven or eight years old, and a little girl kitty who has be be going on 16 or 17. The only one who was an outdoor kitty is the female, but she has been strictly indoors since we moved here seven years ago. There are too many icky wild things around that would love to make a meal of her.
    Change is the only constant.