Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should coconut oil smell like?

Length
    29mbl/WL/hip+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Question What should coconut oil smell like?

I have bought two different coconut oils and they both smell different! Both are supposed to be 100% virgin coconut oil.

The first one is organic and smells very strong and not really like coconut. The second one I bought it at the Indian store and it is almost odorless.

My sister just brought back one that she bought in India it smells sooo good, you can recognize it's coconut and it smells delicious..

Are the oils that I bought bad quality?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/26/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: What should coconut oil smell like?

If unrefined, it ought to smell like delicious coconut, unless it's rancid. Unrefined oil will smell like nothing. If it smells bad or off, then return it, it should never smell unpleasant.

Length
    ?/39.5/knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I use this and it smells just like coconuts, but before I had a cheap one, it had more like a yellowy colour (good quality coconut oil is pure white) and no smell, that was probably refined.
    2b/2c M ii/iii
    40.1"
    goal: knee

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Mine is refined expeller pressed organic coconut oil and has no smell at all. I wish it did, I soooo love the smell of coconut! I guess I need to find me some unrefined.
    Working on longer, healthier hair!

Length
    29mbl/WL/hip+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thanks! The one that my sister brought is called meera coconut oil. My hair smells so nice (and hands too lol)!!

I always hear about Vatika oil, does it smell good?

Length
    BSL/26.5"/HIP
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Mine is white, so I guess it's the good stuff. There's a subtle coconut scent to it - very buttery, if that makes sense. When it's on my hair the sweetness goes away, though there is still a slight scent I can't quite describe.

Length
    bsl/chin/tlb
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I've heard vatika smells amazing! I'd love to get my hands on some, but I've also heard there's too kinds and that one is better than the other. I'm sorry I don't know much about it but I'm sure there's a thread here with way more detail on the vatika.

Also I use organic unrefined expeller pressed coconut oil (what a mouth full!) and mine smells like fresh coconut every time I buy it. I wouldn't use oil that smelled funny, there's probably something up with it

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Refined coconut oil typically is about odorless. Might smell a little oily, but that's all.

Virgin coconut oil smells awesomely coconutty and delicious.

Copra coconut oils (such as Parachute) tend to have a smoky smell to them. They're made by pressing coconut after it's been dried/smoked. I tend to think they can smell a bit like bacon, which is weird.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Jaw/SL/BSL!
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthe13 View Post
    Mine is white, so I guess it's the good stuff. There's a subtle coconut scent to it - very buttery, if that makes sense. When it's on my hair the sweetness goes away, though there is still a slight scent I can't quite describe.
    It smells buttery to me too. Good for when I use it on my popcorn which is also delicious I might add. Not so great for my hair or skin. I think I'm just more sensitive to it. My mom thinks it has no smell at all.
    On the road to BSL or beyond.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Refined coconut oil typically is about odorless. Might smell a little oily, but that's all.

Virgin coconut oil smells awesomely coconutty and delicious.

Copra coconut oils (such as Parachute) tend to have a smoky smell to them. They're made by pressing coconut after it's been dried/smoked. I tend to think they can smell a bit like bacon, which is weird.
    My Parachute smells like... Oh... My fiance always says "Mmm, bacon?? " when I use it, so there you go.
    I'll never buy it again.