Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CO washing transition period?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CO washing transition period?

Hi everyone. Still a bit of a newbie here, so apologies if this somehow winds up in the wrong place or something like that

I recently started conditioner-only washing. I'm aware that there is a "transition period", but I was just wondering

a) How long this period lasted for any other members when they started and
    b) your experience within this period (how your hair felt, etc).

My hair currently feels oily, even though I CO'd just yesterday . I'm really hoping this is normal, as I really want the CO method to work for me.

Any advice? TIA

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: CO washing transition period?

What kind of conditioner are you using? A too-heavy conditioner could be the culprit.
    "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." -Mother Teresa Buy some of my hand carved hair sticks in my Etsy shop! And be sure to watch my hair in action on my youtube

What kind of conditioner are you using? A too-heavy conditioner could be the culprit.
    I used the Garnier Sleek and Shine to do the actual wash, and then the Tresemme Naturals as a conditioner

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

I didn't have any transition period at all. I went from daily washing with S&C to CO only every second day, and now can stretch washes to 7-10 days.

My hair felt different - maybe heavier and less squeaky clean, but it wasn't oily.

Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly. Usually, CO washers use cone-free conditioners (though personally I use light cones when CO washing without a problem).
    See the evolution of my hair over the last two years.

Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly
    Hm, well, I have checked this one, and it hasn't got any cones that I can see. I'm in the UK, and I thought the Sleek and Shine was supposed to be the equivalent to the US Repair and Shine, which didn't have any cones in it

I did try to clarify, but I didn't actually have any shampoo specified for clarifying, I just shampooed twice with what I had. Maybe it didn't work then?

Sigh, I really want this to work

Type
    3a/M/ii

It's safe to keep on pushing it for a few weeks -- up to six, I'd say -- and see if it goes away. It may be the transition period, like you said. I can't say any more than that, because I personally didn't have a transition period, but I wouldn't give up after only a few washes.

Maybe the "conditioning" conditioner is too heavy for you, as someone said.

Funny, that. I never got the two-conditioners thing. I only use one conditioner for co-washing. Saves time.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

It's safe to keep on pushing it for a few weeks -- up to six, I'd say -- and see if it goes away. It may be the transition period, like you said. I can't say any more than that, because I personally didn't have a transition period, but I wouldn't give up after only a few washes.
    Gah, jealous, I seem to be the only one having this problem D: Oh well, its just my luck

I never got the two-conditioners thing. I only use one conditioner for co-washing.
    I'd like to do it that way, but my hair is so incredibly dry, it needs a moisturizing conditioner, no doubt about it. But I'm afraid that using a heavily moisturizing one might not actually clean my hair, so I thought I'd use the lighter one to do that.

But I guess I will just push it for the next couple of weeks. Thank you everyone

Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbs View Post
    Like DarkCurls, I don't get the 2 conditoner thing either. It seems like a massive waste of time and product to me.
    Yeah, that's exactly it.
    As for Garnier, well, I don't know the particular conditioner, but I co-wash with the Triple Nutrition (it's cone-free). It works great for me. I tried a heavier conditioner from them, one of the Ultra Doux with shea and avocado I think, and that really left my hair feeling oily. It was definitely a conditioning conditioner. I thought my hair was dry, but I found a conditioner that was too heavy for it.
    It might be the product, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by T.J View Post
    Gah, jealous, I seem to be the only one having this problem D: Oh well, its just my luck
    Nah, I'm sure it's not uncommon. It's mentioned in every co-washing guide out there. We're just the lucky ones.

Good luck.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by T.J View Post
    Hm, well, I have checked this one, and it hasn't got any cones that I can see. I'm in the UK, and I thought the Sleek and Shine was supposed to be the equivalent to the US Repair and Shine, which didn't have any cones in it

I did try to clarify, but I didn't actually have any shampoo specified for clarifying, I just shampooed twice with what I had. Maybe it didn't work then?

Sigh, I really want this to work
    Ah, maybe it is - I'm not a Garnier person myself because it leaves a shocking oily buildup on my hair all the time - almost like it's sticky.

Shampooing twice with a coney shampoo wouldn't have helped at all - it would have just stripped your hair and scalp, which could explain why you're suffering from oil now. I found my best results were using BS/ACV, then starting CO washing in the next wash.

Like DarkCurls, I don't get the 2 conditoner thing either. It seems like a massive waste of time and product to me.

Don't give up, but if I had to guess what your issue is, I'd pin it on the Garnier.
    See the evolution of my hair over the last two years.

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lmfbs View Post
    Did you clarify before you CO wash? I think Sleek and Shine has amodimethicone in it, which can build up very quickly. Usually, CO washers use cone-free conditioners (though personally I use light cones when CO washing without a problem).
    Amodimethicone is an amino silicone, thus it is polarised and cannot buil up more than one layer on the hair. Dimethicone and dimethiconol are the ones that majorly build up.
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy