Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry ends - cut or condition?

Length
    pixie/shoul/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Default dry ends - cut or condition?

A few months back I tried to lighten my hair to red. Since it was previously dyed dark brown, I had to lighten it a lot, and bleached it multiple times. Now I'm back to dark brown, letting my natural color grow out (and considering henna down the line). My ends are super dry. If I pinch them between my fingers I can hear *crunch crunch*. But if I look at them, I can't seen any split ends. I really want to grow my hair to BSL, but should I cut the damage out completely first? I had planned to just trim a bit at a time. Or is there a really good conditioner that would help repair the ends?
    Right now my hair is just past shoulder length, taking out the damage would put me around chin length. My hair grows pretty fast I think, though I've never measured. I'm planning to measure Saturday (sept 1st) and then keep measuring on the first of the month, from now on.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: dry ends - cut or condition?

Since you bleached, some protein might be in order. You can do this homemade (eggs) or buy these treatments (Joico).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/shoul/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Thanks, I'll try out an egg treatment and see if it helps!

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I have ends "issues"...I was so happy after my last trim that I recommend it to everyone. Just make sure that when you tell them one inch you mean ONE INCH. Like srsly, bring a ruler. Then you can baby them and promise never to do anything bad to your hair again.

Length
    10/22/39
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I lightened my ends a while back and it took several bleachings. in the end it was better to trim little by little for my hair. otherwise it would have kept breaking. I'm never using bleach again!

abob13"//CBL18"//APL21"//BSL24 1/2"//WL28"//HL32"//TBL39"//CL or bust 44 1/2"

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

What are you using on your hair? I bleached my hair a few months ago and had dry ends and ended up trimming only to have my ends still be dry. I was like, what gives? Turns out the leave-in conditioner I was using was actually the culprit and my ends were probably fine.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

With bleached hair, I'd say you should:
    (1) Clarify.
    (2) Protein/reconstructor treatment followed immediately with a moisture treatment.
    (3) Try oiling the ends.
    (4) Trim if none of these improves your hair.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    pixie/shoul/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I have trust issues, so I cut my own hair. It's never perfect, but I'd rather have not perfect for free than spend $60+ (salons are pricey around here) for something that isn't at all what I ask for. I've only been happy with a salon visit once, and that hair stylist was gone by the time I went for my next hair cut.

I'm going to trim about an inch on Friday regardless, I'm just wondering if I should chop it all or just trim it gradually. I just did the egg yolk treatment, so hopefully that will help.

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

If it's actually crunching audibly, then you need a trim. My friend's ends were like that (the silly goose bleached the last 3 inches of her hair in order to achieve an ombré effect), and nothing helps in that situation. Sure, you can deep condition your hair a ton, but when you're on your second or third day after washing, it will feel like all of that moisture has escaped your hair and you'll need to repeat the process in order to have manageable hair. I recommend getting a 1 inch trim.

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Coarse hair, by itself, tends to sound a little crunchy, so don't let that alarm you too much. Mine does too. I too have bleach damage. What I did was cut layers in to the very damaged portions to rid of the split ends and then use lots of oil and conditioner on the dry parts. Since you don't have any splits I don't see the need for trimming. Dryness can be corrected :-) never fear, m'dear!!!
    "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." -Mother Teresa Buy some of my hand carved hair sticks in my Etsy shop! And be sure to watch my hair in action on my youtube