Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Question Am I being unreasonable?

I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Wait till your sister can do it for you.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Wait till your sister can do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by renia22 View Post
    I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't desperately need a trim, just the ends of my layers are a little dry and my hemline is getting a little thin since I haven't trimmed it in so long. I'm just not sure when I'll see my sister next :\

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by Neneka View Post
    I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp.
    Oh definitely! Plus I have a hard time trusting hairstylists. No matter how good they are, my hair never turns out the way I want it. I have a ton of layers I'm trying to grow out and stylists get scissor happy and like to thin and texturize the crap out of my hair I hate it when they do that.

Length
    27"/35"/38"
    Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?
    You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
    $20
    But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
    $20
    What if I bring my own shampoo?
    $20
    What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
    $20
    Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by samanthaj08 View Post
    You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
    $20
    But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
    $20
    What if I bring my own shampoo?
    $20
    What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
    $20
    Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks
    Haha that's so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.
    I have used Feye's method before, and my hair is long enough now to where I can do it myself, but I have layers that need to be trimmed and I'm not doing it myself! lol

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

It is someone's job, ya know? They often get paid in tips I think. How much of a tip can you expect on a $10 haircut? When I was a waitress I looked at it this way: If someone came and sat in my section and all they had was a soda and they read their book for an hour, they lost me money that I could have made if some people had come in to actually eat (and thus had a higher bill). So yeah ... they could either spend their time (which is worth money) giving you a $10 hair cut, or they could charge someone $20-$40 or do a big job like a dye or something and make a lot more. I've had really small trims before, and they sometimes took 30 minutes just because the person was being really careful since they knew how picky I was.

Pixie::Shoulder::APL