Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-talk as Growth Enhancer?

Length
    22/38.5/42
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Lightbulb Self-talk as Growth Enhancer?

I've always wanted classic-or-longer hair, but, for some reason, my hair seemed to grow really slowly, and capped out just around BSL.

In sophomore year of college, a girl in my Japanese class had waist-length hair, and I decided again that I was going to have long hair (hadn't had a serious cut since 7th grade, when it was cut to BSL again, but I only lost like 3 inches. Hadn't gotten very far, had I?)

I started a routine that went like this: the same benign neglect I'd previously done, but, remembering how my little brother once had to do something called "tapping" every night (it's a way to calm down), I added a little chant to convince myself that it COULD grow. My chant went like this:

MY hair will grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My HAIR will grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair WILL grow longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair will GROW longer (repeat that 10 times). My hair will grow LONGER (repeat that 10 times).

I just mumbled it fast, changing the emphasis as I've shown after 10 repetitions of the phrase, and counted it off on my fingers to keep track of where I was while I was in the shower. It's a fast thing if you race through it, it only took me about a minute to do the whole thing, and just saying it, not thinking about it really, does the trick. (When I felt like getting elaborate, I'd do another set of 100 for "My hair will grow faster," and "my hair will be shiny" and whatever else I felt like throwing in.)

Crazily, my hair, which seemed to be just about terminal at BSL (I still can't figure out why it wouldn't grow!) just TOOK OFF and grew like a weeeed! It raced down to waist, then tbl, and I'm at classic now. I'm thrilled!

Hair growth takes a while even with this, but it makes you feel like you're DOING something to help, and it couldn't hurt, right? Does anyone do this, or feel like trying it out? Let me know your results!

(By the way, I don't think it was just growth spurt doing its thing, because when I stopped doing it once in a while [whenever you think of it works, although nightly got better results for me], my hair growth slowed back to a crawl. When I saw it inching along, I started again, and my hair took off once more.)
    Beware, the Lipstickless Bandit rides again, roaming the period-correct countryside and absconding with the kisses of all those who take her fancy!

Length
    12/28/45
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Default Re: Self-talk as Growth Enhancer?

I've tried affirmations before for better health with mixed results. I'll have to try yours for my hair. We'll see what happens.

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I am going to try this out immediately. Will let you know how it works!

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I was wondering do you "tap" your scalp when you say it also?

Sounds interesting!

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

i believe in this. it can be used with anything really. Ive experienced it with weight loss and seeing yourself as being thinner than you really are. eventually i physically appeared how i imagined. i think this would work with hair growth too :]...something to try...
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

its all about positive thinking!! i always visualize that my hair is growing!
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Length
    22/38.5/42
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Actually, I squeeze the tip of my finger. With the "tapping" method my mom used on my little brother, there were various pressure points on the forehead, chest, and hand that she tapped or squeezed while he repeated an affirming statement.

The front/back of his fingers at the last joint (squeeze nail and pad of finger) was one of the stops in the process, so that's what I squeezed as I counted. It's like ticking it off on your fingers, but with a slight squeeze (not hard, just gently, so you can feel it).

I imagine it's something related to the brain's learning of something when you do it two ways at once, such as writing and saying aloud something you're trying to learn.

Does that explain it better?
    Beware, the Lipstickless Bandit rides again, roaming the period-correct countryside and absconding with the kisses of all those who take her fancy!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Hmm, that's interesting. Something to think about. My friends and I were talking about obsessively tracking your hair growth and thinking about hair. I said "That's probably no good for hair growth. It won't grow if all you do is think about it! Just like a watched phone never rings."
    My friend countered, saying that "If you concentrate hard enough on something, it will probably happen. A lot of things are psychological"

Definitely something to try!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I think of my self as a long haired person but I don't chant about it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    18"/26"/36"

Interesting. I've never heard of this before. I'll shall give this a try and see if I get any noticeable results.