Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSM- Does it make hair grow longer?

Default MSM- Does it make hair grow longer?

I have fairly thick hair on my head and I have thick dark eyebrows, generally quite hairy on other body parts like the arms, legs too.

I read up on MSM that it makes hair grow faster and longer. This is what my goal is. I am okay with the thickness of my hair and I am not concentrating on that, I just want long hair, at the moment I have medium length hair. ( e.g, same length as Leighton Meester hair)

I want to try MSM but I have these questions. How long would it take for my hair to reach my waist?, does MSM really work?

And will MSM make me more hairier?

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: MSM- Does it make hair grow longer?

I have been taking MSM for a few months now, and while I am not yet sure whether my head hair is growing faster, my body hair surely is

Well I am hairy, I could do without the body hair. Infact I am trying to reduce my body hair so that could be a bad thing for me.

But I am willing to take on this side effect if it means I could get longer hair.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane)
    MSM is promoted as a natural source of sulphur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulphur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulphur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. The efficacy of MSM has been questioned and clinical research on the medical use of the chemical is limited to a few pilot studies that have suggested beneficial effects. The biochemical effects of supplemental methylsulfonylmethane are poorly understood. Some researchers have suggested that MSM has anti-inflammatory effects. The published clinical trials of MSM did not report any serious side-effects of treatment, but there are no peer-reviewed data on the effects of long-term use in humans
    People on longhair forums have reported that it helps to decrease hair fall out. It is claimed that MSM does this by making the growth stage of the hair longer and the shedding cycle shorter. The growth faze is genetically determined though but it is possible that it makes the shedding cycle shorter. It is true that sulphur is a main component in hair's structure so taking it as a supplement can’t hurt.
    You may take up to 2000mg/day.
    Warnings: Some people have linked MSM to depression! You should be aware of this when taking this supplement.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

MSM has improved my hair growth a lot. I stopped taking it awhile back and my growth slowed down tremendously. So I started taking it again and my hair started growing great again. I figured it had to be the MSM supplement because that was the only thing I had changed. It has also helped clear my complexion. My face was breaking out pretty badly when I wasn't taking it but now my skin looks great.

btw: MSM also helps keep my seasonal allergies in check. Love the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    MSM has improved my hair growth a lot. I stopped taking it awhile back and my growth slowed down tremendously. So I started taking it again and my hair started growing great again. I figured it had to be the MSM supplement because that was the only thing I had changed. It has also helped clear my complexion. My face was breaking out pretty badly when I wasn't taking it but now my skin looks great.

btw: MSM also helps keep my seasonal allergies in check. Love the stuff!

I want to try it out now! glad it worked for you. How long did it take to see the results for longer hair? and did you consult your doctor before taking them? how much pills did you take a day?

And did it make your hair thicker?

Sorry for too many questions but im so damn curious and I need to research it carefully before taking this thing into my body.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamkitty View Post
    I want to try it out now! glad it worked for you. How long did it take to see the results for longer hair? and did you consult your doctor before taking them? how much pills did you take a day?

And did it make your hair thicker?

Sorry for too many questions but im so damn curious and I need to research it carefully before taking this thing into my body.

No problem, I researched it quite thoroughly before I started taking it, too. I didn't consult a doctor before starting but my SO had been taking it for years on the advice of one his doctors for inflammation and for boosting his immune system. Initially, I started taking it for health benefits, the hair growth was a bonus. For me, it took a month or so to notice any real difference. Unfortunately, I have not noticed any difference in the thickness of my hair.

I don't take it in pill form. I take 1/2 tsp (2.6g) powder (Source Naturals) mixed in a glass of orange juice. I have read somewhere that Vitamin C helps your body absorb it better and plus the powder is very bitter but the OJ masks the taste. I started out at a lower dosage and worked my way up as I have read that MSM helps detox the body and you don't want to do that too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    No problem, I researched it quite thoroughly before I started taking it, too. I didn't consult a doctor before starting but my SO had been taking it for years on the advice of one his doctors for inflammation and for boosting his immune system. Initially, I started taking it for health benefits, the hair growth was a bonus. For me, it took a month or so to notice any real difference. Unfortunately, I have not noticed any difference in the thickness of my hair.

I don't take it in pill form. I take 1/2 tsp (2.6g) powder (Source Naturals) mixed in a glass of orange juice. I have read somewhere that Vitamin C helps your body absorb it better and plus the powder is very bitter but the OJ masks the taste. I started out at a lower dosage and worked my way up as I have read that MSM helps detox the body and you don't want to do that too quickly.
    Seems interesting!. I might buy the pill form and share it with my younger sister, she has thinning of her hair in her temples/forehead.

I want to try for length.

So we will half the money and just buy it together, so it will be interesting to see what effect it has on us both.

I just hope there is no sideffects.

What does SO stand for by the way?