Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Honey turn "natural black hair" grey?

Default Will Honey turn "natural black hair" grey?

Ok so today is my washing day for my hair!. I have the honey at home, as well as lemon and Cinnamon. (My mum uses these ingredients alot in her cooking lol)

I have natural black hair. Honey lightens hair. I can understand blonde or brown hair getting a few shades lighter.

But what colour would natural black hair be when its lightened?

Im worried that either my hairs might turn out grey or light black. Because if thats the case I would much rather leave my hair natural dark black hair as it is.

The results I want is for my hair, to simply turn Brown.. I want my hair colour to change.

Will the Honey be able to do this?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Will Honey turn "natural black hair" grey?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamkitty View Post
    Ok so today is my washing day for my hair!. I have the honey at home, as well as lemon and Cinnamon. (My mum uses these ingredients alot in her cooking lol)

I have natural black hair. Honey lightens hair. I can understand blonde or brown hair getting a few shades lighter.

But what colour would natural black hair be when its lightened?

Im worried that either my hairs might turn out grey or light black. Because if thats the case I would much rather leave my hair natural dark black hair as it is.

The results I want is for my hair, to simply turn Brown.. I want my hair colour to change.

Will the Honey be able to do this?
    Honey has not been reported on these boards to turn any shade of hair grey.

Thanks for the reply. So when honey lightens natural black hair, what colour would it turn out?

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Your hair will not turn grey or a light, washed out black from lightening it. Grey and white hair lacks melanin, the substance in hair that gives it color. Black hair has a lot of melanin, which is what makes it so dark. Not even a few rounds of bleach will safely get black hair to turn grey or white very easily.

When dark hair is lightened it has many stages to go through, your first step being a dark warm brown. If that is what you're going for, give it a try. It may take a while with honey lightening though as it is very gradual.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Thanks for your reply kwaniesiam. Dark brown is most definetly the colour I am going for. I would be very happy if this is the colour my hair turned out, even if it takes a long time & is a sticky mess its worth every penny if I get the results I desire. I was just worried that I would end up getting light black hair (which I definetly don't want). I had this theory that the peroxide would turn my black hair grey and make my hair look like its fading in colour.
    How does the honey turn black hair a different colour anyway? very interesting, would love to know the biology behind this since I come from a science background.

Thanks for the reply. So when honey lightens natural black hair, what colour would it turn out?
    It depends on your hair's natural undertones. Hair typically, naturally (sunslight or weathering) and conventionally through peroxide/bleach, lightens from

black to brown to red to gold to blonde.

Sometimes if there is no red undertone none is seen in lightening colour.

Here is a more technical explanation, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2342.
    Last edited by ktani; November 27th, 2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added link and text

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Thanks for your reply kwaniesiam. Dark brown is most definetly the colour I am going for. I would be very happy if this is the colour my hair turned out, even if it takes a long time & is a sticky mess its worth every penny if I get the results I desire. I was just worried that I would end up getting light black hair (which I definetly don't want). I had this theory that the peroxide would turn my black hair white lol.

How does the honey turn black hair a different colour anyway? very interesting, would love to know the biology behind this since I come from a science background.
    Check out ktani's honey thread, all your questions will be answered there.

Trust me, it takes a LOT of effort to get any shade of hair unnaturally white. Look at my albums, I'm naturally a medium to light brown and I totally destroyed my hair bleaching it white. I loved the color but I eventually shaved my head from all of the damage. In most cases it is chemically impossible to bleach black hair to the point of where it turns completely white without being totally destroyed in the process.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    It depends on your hair's natural undertones. Hair typically, naturally (sunslight or weathering) and conventionally through peroxide/bleach, lightens from

black to brown to red to gold to blonde.

Sometimes if there is no red undertone none is seen in lightening colour.
    Interesting, that makes sense. I told my mum what my hair is colour is, she says that there is shades of brown and when I look at my hair close up in the sunlight or when light is reflecting on my hair, it does look like dark reddy brown. I hope that I have natural brown highlights in my hair but I guess the only real way to find this out is to test honey on a bit of hair. Ok im definetly trying, if I don't I will be curious and thinking about it for the rest of my life lol

Thanks for the reply.
    You are most welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    You are most welcome!
    Sorry to bother you again but I have mixed the honey right now with water, its in a jar (lid closed) sitting in the bathroom.

What I want to do today is test the honey in the front part of the strands in my hair. Im going to do this honey treatment reguarly when I wash my hair, just a few strands so I can look in the mirror easily to see if the color has changed.

A few things im curious about.

1. I have Amla oil left on my hair few days ago, will it cause a problem with the honey mixture?

2. How long should I leave it on my hair for and can I just leave my hair out in the open, since its just a few strands, also should I wet the hair strands and then apply the honey?