Thread: Hibiscus substitutes?

Length
    buzz/pixie/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Hibiscus substitutes?

I'm having great results using hibiscus tea as a final rinse, but it's rather costly. I think it may be the high vitamin c content, not just the acidity. I've used ACV rinses for months. They are good, but I never got the sotfness from ACV that I'm getting from hibiscus. Does anyone know of alternatives to hibiscus, any success stories with other herbs? I was thinking maybe cranberry powder or rose hips or something else with high vitamin C levels. I'm not sure if it's the vit. c that gives great results or what. Any input would be great. Thanks

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: Hibiscus substitutes?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
    I'm having great results using hibiscus tea as a final rinse, but it's rather costly. I think it may be the high vitamin c content, not just the acidity. I've used ACV rinses for months. They are good, but I never got the sotfness from ACV that I'm getting from hibiscus. Does anyone know of alternatives to hibiscus, any success stories with other herbs? I was thinking maybe cranberry powder or rose hips or something else with high vitamin C levels. I'm not sure if it's the vit. c that gives great results or what. Any input would be great. Thanks
    I suggest trying conditioners that list citric acid in their ingredients, as I suspect that might be the thing that's helping. I noticed my hair is softer and shinier if I use products that include citric acid.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Here is some information that may prove useful, http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html.

It is not that high in Vitamin C.

It is high in mucilage, which can build-up on hair. http://www.naturalpedia.com/Roselle.html.

Searching for information under roselle will give you more results. I researched it some time ago.

Have you checked out hibiscus powder on ebay? It's much cheaper per pound than Hibiscus tea.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Wouldn't the lemon juice rinse (Ktani, can you help with the link?) work instead?

Quote Originally Posted by MandyBeth View Post
    Wouldn't the lemon juice rinse (Ktani, can you help with the link?) work instead?
    Sure, this is faster, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...vation-by.html

It is not the same thing though.

Length
    buzz/pixie/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Here is some information that may prove useful, http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html.

It is not that high in Vitamin C.

It is high in mucilage, which can build-up on hair. http://www.naturalpedia.com/Roselle.html.

Searching for information under roselle will give you more results. I researched it some time ago.
    So would something like flaxseed tea work like hibiscus? I've made flaxseed gel, but maybe something more watered down, to use as a final rinse? I don't know if flaxseed is acidic or alkaline, but I think it has lots of mucilage.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahBeth View Post
    So would something like flaxseed tea work like hibiscus? I've made flaxseed gel, but maybe something more watered down, to use as a final rinse? I don't know if flaxseed is acidic or alkaline, but I think it has lots of mucilage.
    It is still not going to be the same and it may build-up on your hair much more so over time.

You are happy with hibiscus. As expensive as it may be, I would stay with what works for you. Try finding a cheaper source for the same quality. It you buy it in bulk and if it can be frozen (I have not checked that out) that may be a way around this issue.

Not only different plants but different varieties of plants have different properties. This is really a financial issue. I think that you will have better luck working that out.

I don't know where you live but, if you have a hispanic community near by they should have dried hibiscus flowers at their grocery store. I can buy a huge tub of dried flowers for $3. Then I just boil it and make the tea that way. Of couse I love to drink it but, I mix it in my henna as well. I haven't tried a rinse with it...I will have to give that a shot. Good luck!

Length
    buzz/pixie/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Thanks everyone!