Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often should I S&D?

Length
    29/28/36

Talking How often should I S&D?

I just got a 1 inch trim two days ago, and don't want to cut again for another year or so, but do want to keep the split ends at bay. How often do you all S&D?

Length
    29/28/36

Default Re: How often should I S&D?

Also is it best to cut straight across the hair or at an angle?

Type
    2a/F/ii

Always cut the hair straight across, imagine it as a T where the horizontal line is the scissor and the vertical line is the hair. Habioku has a very cool S&D technique tutorial with pics here: Self trimming.

About how often that's up to you. You can check your hair whenever you have the time and if you see any split ends you can just trim them off. It really depends on your particular hair and how often/easy it splits.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I only S&D thoroughly twice a year or so. At this point my hair is so long that doing it more often would drive me insane. That said, when I brush it I'll do a quick check and snip off any split ends I spot easily. I also check the hair sticking out from the sides of my braid and get rid of any split ends I find there. I find this is enough to keep the damage from getting too bad, and allows me to only trim my hair once a year.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I S&D almost every time I brush my hair- if I spot a split I snip it.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

When I see a split I cut it and then look for more - I guess I look at the ends of my hair at least once a week but its kind of a random thing that just seems to happen - one minute Im watching TV, then I suddenly find Im staring at a handful of hair!

As much as you desire. I just s&d when I notice a lot.

ON MY WAY TO WAIST

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I s&d once each month. I do it very throughly, so it takes me about 3-4 hour to finish, and makes my neck hurt, but it's worth it. I just take tiny sections twist them clockwise and snip off everything that sticks out and looks damaged. I use a mirror and do it in sunlight, so I can get the splits close to my scalp aswell. I then twist the section counter-clockwise, and do it again. I sometimes even snip off a couple mm-ers from the end of each small section.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I try to S & D at least once a week, but it depends on how busy I am. I usually do it while (sort of) watching TV, because we have a ceiling lamp that I can hold my ends up to and see the splits easily. How much you do it is really up to you. I find that if I keep up with it, my ends don't tend to tangle as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritza View Post
    How often do you all S&D?
    Never. It would make me crazy. I do self-trims with Feye's method instead, which takes almost no time, causes me no eye-strain, and doesn't make me feel like I'm getting obsessive. I trim on an as-needed basis, once or twice a year.