Page 77 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Yes mine were from an Indian store. But not all the Indian store sells them so people who are thinking about making a special trip to an indiain store please call ahead. The one close to my house doesnt sell them. They only sell powder so i will have to soapnut powder for now as it is very cheap. i paid 1.79 for 100 gm and i think powder lasts a lot longer then the whole sopanut.

I was thinking about ordering the whole soapnuts directly from india. i just need to find out how much shipping costs and will have my mom call my cousin

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

So, for those interested, here is what it costs me personally to wash with soapnuts....

FYI I don't have a scale, unfortunately, so I can't say for sure how many ounces 22 soapnuts comes to!

I wash every day (except for the weekends), with the 22 soapnuts recipe:

-22 soapnuts (which Tina said is 100g [Thanks Tina!], which is approx. 3.5 oz.) makes 8 oz finished liquid
    -I use roughly 1 oz. of finished liquid per wash

so, 3.5 oz. unused soapnuts makes 8 washes for me, and 3.5 oz. soapnuts at roughly $1 per ounce = $3.50, so divided into 8 washes = $.43 per wash

Since I wash every day (except for the weekends, so 20 days per month), that comes to $.43 per wash x 20 washes = $8.60 per month. However, some folks can re-use soapnuts effectively one time, getting double the amount, so then the cost per month is $4.30. A lot of people don't wash every day though, so they can save more money that way too. Also, I don't need to use conditioner, so there's that savings there too!

ETA 8/1/09: After almost a year now of soapnut washing, I've started to use just a half ounce per washing (every day still). Also the Cellande Midlands soapnuts are very powerful, so I only use about half of the amount of soapnuts in the recipe. So my cost is now just approx. $2.15 a month! (without the lime/lemon included)
    Last edited by mellie; April 27th, 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Has anyone used the Maggie's or NaturOli with success?

Here's a cost comparison for each of them on Amazon:

Maggie's 1 kilo bag: $35 (free shipping)/35 oz. = $1.00 per ounce
    NaturOli 4 lb. bag: $67/64 oz = $1.05 per ounce
    My sample pack, shich is my only experience so far, was from Maggies. So far, so good. Last night I did a heavy oiling, and it felt like I had to wash with the Soapnuts 2 times this morning. I'm still drying and it looks like there still may be some oil left, but we'll see.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

I am sorry i paid $1.99 for 100gm (22 soapnuts) from an indian store. I just checked the pic on my page and the price tag said $1.99.

That store is located in a mini Indian bazaar (and the area is heavily populated with Indian community) and thats prob why mine was very cheap.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Wow, so your cost per ounce (of unused soapnuts) is only $.56! That's great!

That would mean if I could find them that price here, my cost per wash would only be $.40! And if I reused them, then only $.20 per wash!
    Last edited by mellie; January 10th, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Neoma, in my recipe I use 22 soapnuts, and it makes 8 oz of liquid, but I only use 1.5 ounces per wash. So, depending on how many times you shampoo per week, that gives you an idea how many shampoos you'd get per batch.

Also some people (who are not as oily as me) have been successful re-using the nuts another time too!
    Thank you, mellie.

Those are from the Indian grocery right? I like those ones - although you have to crack them to get the seed out, which is no big deal.
    I'm sorry... I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread, but I forgot... If they have seeds in them, you have tocrack them and remove the seed? Do the ones that folks are selling for laundry have seeds in them?

Quote Originally Posted by tina1025 View Post
    Yes mine were from an Indian store. But not all the Indian store sells them so people who are thinking about making a special trip to an indiain store please call ahead. The one close to my house doesnt sell them. They only sell powder so i will have to soapnut powder for now as it is very cheap. i paid 1.79 for 100 gm and i think powder lasts a lot longer then the whole sopanut.
    Ha! Tina, this afternoon, I went to a local Indian shop, which carries just about every herb and spice on the planet. They had the boxed aritha, but no whole soapnuts. I tried another store... No whole soapnuts. There is a huge Indian store in mid-town that I may try, but it really is a trip for me. Maybe I'll just order them online.

In the meantime, I do have some powdered aritha. I am not new to the world of Indian herbs for hair but, in the past, I have always made a "sludge" out of them.

Last night, I mixed three heaping tablespoons of aritha powder with approximately three cups of warm water. I let this sit in a jar overnight.

This a.m., I poured 3+ ounces of the liquid, which was very foamy, into a small bottle through a strainer. The particles are very fine, so not all of them were strained out, but most were.

I wet my hair with warm water, then poured some of the alma liquid over my scalp, massaging gently as I poured. I repeated this procedure on my scalp, then gently massaged the remaining liquid through my length. After a minute or two, I rinsed well, finger combing the tangles.

After towel drying, my hair was tangly. I took great care while combing.

While wet, my hair felt very clean and moisturized, but not slippery or coated.

Dry, my hair is extremely managable. It may be a tad bit dry. I noticed when I came in from the cold that the crown was a little staticky.

I'm posting a couple of pics of my hair after using amla today. I'm going to post more in a photo journal later, in case anyone is interested.

Without combing, after I took my bun down.

After combing, after I took my bun down.

In a Lazy Wrap Bun.

Needless to say, I consider today's experiment a success. Now I've got to get some whole soapnuts and see how they work in comparison to the powder. At the very least, they will save me the step of straining out the powder.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

If they have seeds in them, you have tocrack them and remove the seed? Do the ones that folks are selling for laundry have seeds in them?
    Yes, if they have seeds, just use a nutcracker to crack them open and throw out the black seed inside. They are easy to open (as long as they're not the S. trifoliatus, smaller, ones...those were harder to open).

If they are selling them for laundry they shouldn't have the seeds in them.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

P.S Your hair looks so pretty!! I love the waves!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Yes, if they have seeds, just use a nutcracker to crack them open and throw out the black seed inside. They are easy to open (as long as they're not the S. trifoliatus, smaller, ones...those were harder to open).

If they are selling them for laundry they shouldn't have the seeds in them.
    P.S Your hair looks so pretty!! I love the waves!
    Thank you, mellie.

I think I'm going to order some today. I am blown away by how good my hair looks today, and by how manageable it is.

In case anyone is interested, here's a link to my other post-aritha shots.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Looks beautiful! Thick, shiny and gorgeous! :-)