Well let me start off by saying that when you live in a country where pretty much every citizen has naturally black hair, I can understand the urge to shake it up and try a different color.

But being from a European country where medium/dark ash blonde is pretty much the basic color, having glossy black hair sounds like a dream. Whenever I see a girl with jet black hair I can't help but watch her. I just love that color and how shiny it looks in the sun.

So I think it all depends on your point of reference. In the end it's all about what you want and what you think looks good on you. My honest opinion though is that I dread seeing that liquid shiny jet black hair dyed lighter. I don't know if it's the hair type or the amount of processing it needs to go through before reaching those lighter colors, but somehow it always seems to lose what made it appealing to me. So personally, asians with jet black hair is a winning combination for me. But that's just my opinion and obviously your bf disagrees with me