Thread: Asians and red/light brown hair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    S/BSL/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Asians and red/light brown hair?

I think they can look lovely with a warm brown or a reddy colour.

I'm not fond of the blonde (which generally goes yellow) colour though.

Of course each to their own and everybody suits different things
    grow hair grow!

follow my blog here

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by caiti42 View Post
    I think they can look lovely with a warm brown or a reddy colour.

I'm not fond of the blonde (which generally goes yellow) colour though.

Of course each to their own and everybody suits different things
    My thoughts, exactly!
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL

I think lighter colors and darker colors can both look very flattering. But I understand where seanymph is coming from. I think she was put off by someone getting "complimented" for looking more European. Race, skin tone and hair is a part of the black community too and I think she sees some parallels. Certainly not exactly the same, but it makes me think. Thousands of years where the ideal is a round face, jet black hair, pale skin and almond eyes and then there is a shift where much of what is admired is the opposite? Hmmm. What changes happened in those years? Cultures change on their own, but such a shift?

And the thing about skin tone: Yes, Japanese Chinese and others have, for thousands of years, admired pale skin. But not all Asians have very pale skin or are capable of pale skin (by avoiding the sun). I hear a lot of praise for skin lightening soaps and creams from some of my south east Asian friends and coworkers. It's not exactly coming from the same place as an admiration of a pale Asian noble. A group of brown people fawning over the "progress" that a papaya soap has given one of their own for her wedding, doesn't sit right with me. I know it's not exactly the same situation in Japan, but they are Asian after all.

And there is something stronger than admiration in many instances. Just look at the popular surgeries. I admire the hair shown in old prints and paintings of Japan. Long, black and seemingly endless. When I straighten my hair, I like it to look a bit like that. But then I wash my hair and the curls come back. I admire the epicanthic folds that many Asian eyes have (I know, not all Asians have them and they aren't exclusive to Asians, my blond SO has them too ), but I'm not going to get surgery to imitate it.

While I think media and European "influence" often plays a part, sometimes we dye our hair, because we want a change, not because we're rejecting our culture. I can't wait for the day when we are all one grey color and can do what ever we want with our hair!