Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scalp no longer produces ...sebum?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Scalp no longer produces ...sebum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreams_in_Pink View Post
    yeah it's pretty awesome that hair doesn't get dirty but, i'm concerned it might cause some problems in the long run.
    Look, it's been this way for me for years now. I can't say I experience problems of any kind. My hair is on the dry side, but all curlies prone to dryness. And yes, I am 37" despite years of chem dye abuse.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Look, it's been this way for me for years now. I can't say I experience problems of any kind. My hair is on the dry side, but all curlies prone to dryness. And yes, I am 37" despite years of chem dye abuse.
    great to hear that; i know i'm too paranoid about my new haircare routine but, everything i'm doing right now is the first time i've done in my life (like acv rinse, washing with only conditioner etc.) and they're pretty unusual stuff it'll take some time for me and my hair to get used to "healthy living".

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Dreams_in_Pink, I don't have any advice, but I do want to say you have beautiful hair. Gorgeous, shiny, brown waves! Very pretty!!

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

umm, they're not half as shiny as it looks in my siggy, but thank you so much!

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

The only problem I had when my scalp was too...sebumless , was that my scalp would get itchy, I'm assuming because it was too "dry" in a sense. If you don't get that itchyness, then it's probably fine.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

I've noticed this too, recently! My scalp like, produces NO oil. When I massage it, I can just hear my roots moving around. I don't see any oil on my fingertips or anything. It's as if it just doesn't exist anymore.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

My scalp is really dry too and hardly produces any oil.
    Did you ever try Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner? I love it so much ... it's the only conditioner I've found that actually leaves some oil in my hair when I rinse it (and my hair really wants that oil so this is a good thing). I also use it as a leave-in conditioner when my hair looks dry. It is so useful. Without it my hair would be a dry frizzy puffball.

Type
    3a/M/ii

No, i'm not on any medications, but recently i used two bottles of antibiotics (for flu and a cut on my hand) maybe that's a side effect?
    Antibiotics for flu don't make sense. Antibiotics kill bacteria, including good ones in the gut. A flu is a viral infection.
    my mom's very sensitive about a healthy diet;
    Could you explain this?

I agree about sufficient fat. Not just omega-3, but also olive, coconut, and others. My main source of fat is avocados, but I include others in small amounts.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    23/23/35
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
    My theory :

Wash too much = stripes oil away = scalp produces more and more oil

Oil the scalp = scalp stops producing oil = dry hair

This is why I try avoiding oil on my scalp, I put it on my length

(may not be true, but it's my current hypothesis)
    Hmm...

It makes sense within normal ranges of oil, but sebum is a weird excretion in that whole cells die off and get excreted along with the oils they held while alive, instead of just secreting oil. So, as the cells die off and get replaced, they *need* to be excreted as sebum.

This is why stripping oils makes the scalp over produce it, the rate of cell death and replacement amps up, almost like inflammation.

In the case of a majorly under-secreting scalp, adding oil is unlikely to reduce that secretion more.

OP: what is your haircare routine?

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

those anti-dandruff shampoos are no good. I used head & shoulders for years and seen no improvement. I don't think it's dandruff-related though, when i had greasy hair, i had oily dandruff and now i have dry dandruff that's another problem i'm trying to cure.
    Oily dandruff and dry dandruff are usually 2 very different things. If you haven't tried Head and Shoulders with the dry dandruff, it may help.

Also, there is usually a balance between good bacteria and yeast on the skin. Antibiotics don't discriminate, and kill the good with the bad. The result can be more yeast/fungus on the skin. Yeast usually thrives in oil, though, so if anything, dryness is opposite of what I would have expected. ...?

Are you on a low-fat diet?

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights