Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clarifying shampoo?

Default Re: Clarifying shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by MissAlida View Post
    You don't need to buy a special clarifying shampoo. You could use any shampoo you've got, put about 2 tbs into a bowl and add some baking soda to it. I'm sure you have some home. You can add 1-2 tbs. After you clarified with this, and washed it out of your hair, I advice you to dilute 1 tbs white vinegar/lemon juice/ apple cider vinegar (either one) in 2 cups of water, and rinse with it. This will restore the optimal pH of your hair. You can rinse it out or leave it in. I usually rinse it out with cold water. It gives great shine.
    One other point, I would not recommend using equal parts shampoo or water and baking soda. There should be a lot more shampoo compared to the amount of baking soda put in.

And it's Baking Soda, not Baking Powder. Given we have a language translation, I want to be sure if you choose this idea, you use the right Baking.....(Soda).

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    13/30,7/30
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Maiken View Post
    In danish clarifying shampoo is called "dybderensende shampoo". I guess it must be something familiar to that in swedish..
    You should be able to buy clariying shampoo at a hairdresser or in a shop mainly selling beautyproducts.
    Yeah I would think so too, but I've actually never seen that labeled on a bottle. And the ones from hairdressers tend to be superexpensive, and that's one thing I try to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    This is a homemade recipe and fails to mention the importance of conditioning in the wake of clarifying with a homemade recipe that uses Baking Soda. That is very important to replace what has been removed from the hair. If you strip out the oils and the moisture, then you must replace it. Otherwise, you can end up with really dry hair that behaves funny. That would not mean that clarifying did not work; it may mean in actuality that it did work, but one needs to condition as part of this kind of hair wash. Not everyone's hair responds well to ACV rinse as kind of moisturizing the hair. ACV is mostly for re-setting the pH of the acid mantle (scalp skin). If you have light colored hair, do not use ACV; instead, use white vinegar or lemon juice diluted the same as ACV--around 2-3 Tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice in an 8 oz cup of water.

heidi w.
    Am I just tired or are you saying that ACV rinses actually are moisturizing? Or that you have to replace the moisture after an ACV rinse?

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post

And it's Baking Soda, not Baking Powder. Given we have a language translation, I want to be sure if you choose this idea, you use the right Baking.....(Soda).

heidi w.
    I don't know the difference between baking soda and baking powder I thought it was the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shermie Girl View Post
    Any clear or semi clear shampoo with sulphates and no silicone will clarify your hair just fine. The label doesn't have to say "clarifying" to do the job.
    I've kind of realized that thanks to this thread That seems like the easiest way to go

Length
    chin/APL/knee
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I'm leaving KTM for Sweden tomorrow, as soon as I recover from jetlag and reach a store I'll start searching for clarifying shampoos. I'll report back about what I find

On a totally different note, speaking of shampoos in Sweden: Urtekram is a natural shampoo with only natural ingredients, no chemicals and it smells great and cleans my hair very nicely! I always use it when I'm home. I don't know if it's at all clarifying, just thought I'd mention it since I love it so much.

I left by request
    Length
    Left/Left/Left
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I agree with Shermie Girl. You don't need any special claifying shampoo. Any clear non silicone shampoo will do the job. I use Superdrugs apple and lime shampoo.

Look out for shampoos that are

Clear
    For greasy/oily hair. These kind of shampoos are lightweight and will claify well
    Have a sulfate in.
    Say they are deep cleansing/refreshing/lightweight or for oily hair
    HTH

I left by request
    Length
    Left/Left/Left
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Double post sorry
    Last edited by janeytilllie; April 24th, 2012 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Double post

Length
    13/30,7/30
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nellon View Post
    On a totally different note, speaking of shampoos in Sweden: Urtekram is a natural shampoo with only natural ingredients, no chemicals and it smells great and cleans my hair very nicely! I always use it when I'm home. I don't know if it's at all clarifying, just thought I'd mention it since I love it so much.
    I'll see if I can find any of that brand you're talking about

I'm happy to have learned lots of new things