Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Hee hee! I should probably have added that it's really, really, REALLY easy to miscalculate the oil dosage when oiling wet hair. It feels as though the oil is just staying on your hands and not getting onto the hair at all -- and not until it's dry do you realise that, yup, it did get onto your hair and you are now a greaseball!

Might be safer to start with dry hair and observe how much oil you can use without greasing everything up, and only then starting to oil wet (and trying to use the same amount of oil that you needed when dry).
    Absolutely. I think I just need more practice with light oiling. I'm used to overdo everything and not just oilings I know less is more but it's a hard lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenputtel View Post
    I'm not a big fan of straight oil. I still use monoi from time to time because I love the smell so much. I usually mix my oils with leave in conditionner I use whatever oil I have nearby, but mostly coconut (monoi) or mineral oil.
    I like it in a conditioner too but I think it was Ktani who has said that a conditioner prevents coconut oil from penetrating hair??? I really can't remember, so I don't want to state that it's true. But maybe someone else can correct me. Anyhow... it is a great moisture treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBene View Post
    I use unrefined shea butter daily to condition my hair and smooth down fly aways.
    Always used it heavily too (loved it). Time to take it easy.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post
    I like it in a conditioner too but I think it was Ktani who has said that a conditioner prevents coconut oil from penetrating hair??? I really can't remember, so I don't want to state that it's true. But maybe someone else can correct me. Anyhow... it is a great moisture treatment.
    I remember that too. I wouldn't be surprised if applying coconut oil over a non-penetrating oil would cause the same effect. Something I'll have to test some day...
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post
    Also I know it's a wrong thread but has anyone slapped coconut treacle on their head? I can't find much online... Want to take it the next time. If it won't be great on my head it sure must be great in my belly
    I'd never heard of it before! But I looked it up and evidently it's basically a syrup, making it a humectant, so it would have similar properties of honey or glycerin. Humectants draw moisture from the air. Some people love them and some hate them. In very dry or humid weather, humectants can cause frizziness. It's worth a try!
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thanks piratejenny and othala! It was fun learning all about oils.

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    I remember that too. I wouldn't be surprised if applying coconut oil over a non-penetrating oil would cause the same effect. Something I'll have to test some day...
    I'm pretty sure she's said the same about combining shea butter with coconut oil(?) And again I can't say I remember that 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    I'd never heard of it before! But I looked it up and evidently it's basically a syrup, making it a humectant, so it would have similar properties of honey or glycerin. Humectants draw moisture from the air. Some people love them and some hate them. In very dry or humid weather, humectants can cause frizziness. It's worth a try!
    I use sugar beet syrup and I love it gives a lot of moisture and can be washed off fairly easily. Very different from honey but I love them both, seems like my cup of tea. I'm just very cautious when it comes to coconuts... Coconut oil can make me greasy in no time and it is veeeery difficult to get it out! But I'll get that treacle next month anyway (or whenever I'm in that area where it's sold).

I find this incredibly interesting! Wonderful information

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Hee hee! I should probably have added that it's really, really, REALLY easy to miscalculate the oil dosage when oiling wet hair. It feels as though the oil is just staying on your hands and not getting onto the hair at all -- and not until it's dry do you realise that, yup, it did get onto your hair and you are now a greaseball!

Might be safer to start with dry hair and observe how much oil you can use without greasing everything up, and only then starting to oil wet (and trying to use the same amount of oil that you needed when dry).
    This is such a good idea.. I woke up to an oil slick on my head today.luckily I have a job where what I look like doesn't much mAtter. Lol

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

I hope this isnt a stupid question but if I use coconut oil on my hair because its a penatrating oil than do I use another oil to seal in that moisturizer? And if so how would I do that? Right now Im using castor oil on my hair every other night-I massage my scalp and put it on the length of my hair and then sleep on it. Wash it off with organic shampoo. I also dont wet my hair first. I put the oil on dry hair. But castor oil isnt a penetrating oil is it?

What should I do if I want to oil my hair and make sure the oil gets into my hair and then I want to keep the moistureizer in so what else do i need to do?

Im so sorry if this has already been covered. Thanks!

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    I hope this isnt a stupid question but if I use coconut oil on my hair because its a penatrating oil than do I use another oil to seal in that moisturizer? And if so how would I do that? Right now Im using castor oil on my hair every other night-I massage my scalp and put it on the length of my hair and then sleep on it. Wash it off with organic shampoo. I also dont wet my hair first. I put the oil on dry hair. But castor oil isnt a penetrating oil is it?

What should I do if I want to oil my hair and make sure the oil gets into my hair and then I want to keep the moistureizer in so what else do i need to do?

Im so sorry if this has already been covered. Thanks!
    You don't necessarily need to do anything extra. The penetrating oils don't evaporate, they stay put and stay soft. They will have to be reapplied in time, but that's part of any hair routine.

The main fatty acid in castor oil is ricinoleic acid which is very similar to oleic acid, the main fatty acid in olive oil. So I would think castor oil would have similar penetration to olive oil. Penetrating, but not hugely so. I don't know of any study actually looking at the penetration of castor oil.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Mmm my hair loves coconut oil and olive oil! I prefer coconut oil though, because it's much more lighter. I use it as pre-poo or as a serum:

Since I'm using coconut oil as a daily face moisturizer, body lotion and eye makeup remover, I also like to apply it on my hair ends and slightly rub it into my scalp. However I only do this the day after washing my hair because it can give a somewhat greasy feeling which I don't want to have immediately after coming out the fresh shower.

I loved the serum Biosilk Silk Therapy which I was using every other day until I read articles about cones. I'm not anti cones, but I tried to avoid them for a while to see how my hair would react.
    My hair is like super healthy and not dry anymore.. it was a good experiment. I will keep my current hair routine. So now I use coconut oil as a serum instead of BioSilk and it works...