Thread: Silly question about DTs...

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Silly question about DTs...

I don't DT my hair nearly as often as I should, so I was inspired this morning to throw some olive oil on my hair for a few hours because I have to wash my hair this weekend anyway. That's when I've always done DTs - the day of/before wash day - and how I've thought everyone else does them too.

Then I realized....I've put a number of leave-in conditioners and serums in my hair over the past week, as I always do. Those have cones in them that I'm sure have built up on my hair. With all those cones in the way, how could the EVOO really penetrate the hair?

Would it be better to clarify my hair, then DT, then wash it again? That would mean washing it twice in a day, which I try to avoid. (I wash my hair every 5 or 6 days.)

I know this is an incredibly basic quandary but somehow I just thought of it. Thoughts?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Silly question about DTs...

The majority of hairs are going to benefit in spite of the cones, I think, unless you dunked your hair into coney serum so that it coated every single strand. But a deep treatment after you clarify would also be a good idea.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

All right, good to know I'm not sitting around with a tuque on for no good reason! Thanks.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I hope you like the results.

Length
    APL+/BSL+/thick
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by allnight avenue View Post
    I don't DT my hair nearly as often as I should, so I was inspired this morning to throw some olive oil on my hair for a few hours because I have to wash my hair this weekend anyway. That's when I've always done DTs - the day of/before wash day - and how I've thought everyone else does them too.

Then I realized....I've put a number of leave-in conditioners and serums in my hair over the past week, as I always do. Those have cones in them that I'm sure have built up on my hair. With all those cones in the way, how could the EVOO really penetrate the hair?

Would it be better to clarify my hair, then DT, then wash it again? That would mean washing it twice in a day, which I try to avoid. (I wash my hair every 5 or 6 days.)

I know this is an incredibly basic quandary but somehow I just thought of it. Thoughts?
    I have no useful advice, but thanks for asking this question! I actually have the same doubt sometimes about pre-wash treatments

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Because of the build-up I have pretty much gotten away from cones and leave ins that are not pure oils. It seems to me that my DTs are more effective, but it may be that the cumulative effects of weekly treatments are kicking in.

Join us on the weekly DT challenge thread! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=73320

ETA: You could clarify, do your DT, and use conditioner to wash the DT out.
    Last edited by julierockhead; September 17th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights