Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: henna ruined my hair...help?

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default henna ruined my hair...help?

This isn't a 911...just looking for advice for the future!

About 12 years ago I hennaed my hair. A few months later it became so dry & brittle that when I brushed it, there would be dozens of little 1" pieces in the sink. At the time I think it was to the middle of my back, and eventually it seemed like every hair had a split end (sometimes with amazing multiple splits that looked like a Dr. Seuss feather) and/or little white dots where the hair would just snap off if I pulled it even very gently.

I cut it chin-length, and I had NEVER had short hair my whole life! This past year is the first time I've been able to get it to grow long (due to other problems like dryness & falling out).

Now maybe I should just leave my hair color alone but the ends get lighter as it gets longer and I just think it looks healthier & thicker when it's darker all the way to the ends. I have dark brown hair but I like to dye a dark auburn over that so I have red "glints" in the sun. I have become allergic to the brand of hair dye I was using.

Maybe I bought a crappy brand of henna. Do any of you have favorite brands? Or do you think henna reacts differently with certain types of hair? A friend told me that henna coats the hair shaft, thereby keeping moisture from penetrating, and it eventually flakes off, damaging the hair as it does. But henna has been used for so many centuries as a hair treatment, her theory seems odd. Is there something I can add to the henna to keep it from drying my hair? Or can I use beets or tea or something else? Thanks!

Length
    CHIN/APL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: henna ruined my hair...help?

You most likely did not buy Body Art Quality henna. You can try henna again from a reputable source such as: Henna for Hair or Henna Sooq.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My hair stylist told me the same thing - that henna coats the hair like shellac and doesn't allow moisture to penetrate. On the other hand, it doesn't allow moisture to evaporate, either, so if your hair is already well moisturized, henna won't hurt it. That's the theory. I do know that it gave me a horrible garish color 10 years ago and made my hair feel brittle and stiff. I let the henna grow out and cut it away. A lot of people, however, say that it saved their hair. So proceed with caution - strand test, etc.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

You probably used a poor quality henna.

I actually had the same experience about 30 years ago when I hennaed my hair for the first time. My hair got dry and brittle and nasty - not to mention all the little branches and leafy bits I had to pick out of my hair for days. Ultra conditioning stuff helped and fortunately my hair wasn't too long at the time.

I henna now to cover the gray stuff coming in at my temples and use BAQ henna from Henna 4 Hair and have never had an issue with dryness. I am careful to condition well after I henna, though - in fact I don't shampoo at all for a couple weeks, I only use coniditioner. No problems.

I second the suggestion to try BAQ henna from a reputable dealer like HennaSooq or Henna4Hair. Strand test first, just to make sure it's all good.

Good luck!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    20/27/30-35
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I mix my henna with conditioner. So it gives Strength to my hair. But i solely use high quality henna.

Length
    chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I mix my henna with chamomile tea, and I've never had an issue with dryness. Which is saying something as my the length of my hair is pretty damaged.
    2a/M/F/ii

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    My hair stylist told me the same thing - that henna coats the hair like shellac and doesn't allow moisture to penetrate. On the other hand, it doesn't allow moisture to evaporate, either, so if your hair is already well moisturized, henna won't hurt it. That's the theory. I do know that it gave me a horrible garish color 10 years ago and made my hair feel brittle and stiff. I let the henna grow out and cut it away. A lot of people, however, say that it saved their hair. So proceed with caution - strand test, etc.
    That's the common believe among hairstylists, and it just doesn't make any sense. If it was true, my hair would have dried out and broken off years ago. I personally think that henna does disturbs the protein-moisture balance, towards the protein side. So for some, that would mean including much more moisture in their routine. I know that my hair need tons of moisture but I haven't done 'proper' protein treatment in years.

Maybe that's exactly what happened to your hair, but you couldn't adjust your routine? Or maybe, my hair can be much less moisture craving without the henna, but I wouldn't know since keep on doing it?

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

well maybe that's just propaganda perpetuated by the chemical dye companies

people have been using this stuff for centuries so it doesn't make sense that it's horribly damaging!!!

as i recall, my hair felt fine for a while after the henna so a strand test doesn't really predict what's going to happen 6 months down the road!

if i henna/wreck my hair now it would take me 4 or 5 years to get it back to this length. so i'm nervous!

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

You know, you could always try a henna gloss and see how the results are. You use far less henna and mix it with heaps of conditioner.

Or you could do an SMT before you henna to add moisture to your hair.

If you do decide to henna, no matter what method you use, make sure you get excellent quality henna. It makes a huge difference.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by piratejenny23 View Post
    well maybe that's just propaganda perpetuated by the chemical dye companies

people have been using this stuff for centuries so it doesn't make sense that it's horribly damaging!!!

as i recall, my hair felt fine for a while after the henna so a strand test doesn't really predict what's going to happen 6 months down the road!

if i henna/wreck my hair now it would take me 4 or 5 years to get it back to this length. so i'm nervous!
    Well, seems like either you do all your hair or not at all. Why not a strand test that you'll monitor for few months then?

It makes some sense, that different people have different hair that reacts differently to the same treatments. As a person who deals which VERY dry hair and scalp, I understand less how henna results that amount of damage due to dryness. But I don't question your experience.

If you decide to strand test it, try to look for BAQ (body art quality) henna, not henna for hair and definitely not henna that comes in different colors, but henna that is sold for body art. Most known brand is Jamila, but there are others, which you can find in Indian shops, and online too.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!