Page 84 of 2498 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586941341845841084 ... LastLast

Thread: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: The Salt & Pepper Thread!

Thanks for the link to the Going Grey, Looking Great Gallery, Linda. I looked at that before but didn't remember most of the pictures so it was like a new parade of attractive, silvering women. Just this morning I had a jury summons (glad I wasn't chosen) and the woman down the bench from me had beautiful silver hair. I complimented her on it during a break. She was pleased but said it had been hard for her to grey so early. (I think she may be somewhere in her 50s.) Here in the South it is easier to strike up conversations with strangers like I did, but if you don't mind complimenting people whom you don't know, it makes them and you feel really good about the encounter.
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

Length
    17/40/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akka naeda View Post
    Can you not just tell people to take a jump if they comment negatively on you growing out gray hair? I mean, it seems people on here'd do that if they're told that their hair is too long - the "I'm not here to decorate your world" response. It's your hair, you have it whatever colour you want. If you want it gray, have it gray.

Before anyone gets offended, please remember that I don't seem to have the problems other people are having, so I don't understand this stuff about gray hair being scary and the constant need to dye/cut it. My hair is kneelength, and having hennaed it I'm going to have a very obvious demarcation line, but I don't care. Anyone telling me teh gray makes me look old, that the colour difference is too obvous etc etc can just f off. (I'm actually so fond of the henna I may well rehenna it regularly so that the demarcation line stays at the nape of my neck while the hair above gets whiter, but I'm not sure about that yet.)

And now, at the weekend I say a girl (16 at most) who had that natural gray streak. It really looked amazing - dead straight black hair and then the gray streak. It was totally natural, not dyed, not extensions.
    Complete strangers or co-workers even, yeah, give them the attitude! I'm with you there. But with friends or family, who wants to argue. It's just not worth it. When it's grown out, then possibly admit to the ruse. hee hee

Length
    17?/23?/tb???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR=Red
    MemSahib[/color];457969]Thanks for the link to the Going Grey, Looking Great Gallery, Linda. I looked at that before but didn't remember most of the pictures so it was like a new parade of attractive, silvering women. Just this morning I had a jury summons (glad I wasn't chosen) and the woman down the bench from me had beautiful silver hair. I complimented her on it during a break. She was pleased but said it had been hard for her to grey so early. (I think she may be somewhere in her 50s.) Here in the South it is easier to strike up conversations with strangers like I did, but if you don't mind complimenting people whom you don't know, it makes them and you feel really good about the encounter.
    Oh good for you!
    I think as women we all need to encourage one another - no matter what the issue. I think that's what's so wonderful about forums like this one! Not long ago I was in a Menards - a mom was really getting frustrated & embarrassed with her 4-5 yr old DD who wasn't going to leave w/o a treat she spied near the check-out. I just leaned and whispered "I don't mean to interrupt but - hang in there, this too shall pass." I hope she took it as empathy. Something I happen to re-call from a workshop.

I'm thinking of clipping pics of silver hairs just to remind myself with a little patience, trial and error I'll find the right care to get mine looking healthy like theirs!

WinterSun: That's along the lines of what I thought the colorist was going to do! Just a bit with the foils so everything would pretty much blend - get rid of the 'golden' and that would be it for the color! Maybe I'll have to print out the article and take it with me. Drat! I want to get a couple Flexi's! How did I miss that? I thought I'd read about every link over there!

"Embracing all that *Sparkles*!"
    ~ Renegray Gang Member~

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MemSahib View Post
    Thanks for the link to the Going Grey, Looking Great Gallery, Linda. I looked at that before but didn't remember most of the pictures so it was like a new parade of attractive, silvering women. Just this morning I had a jury summons (glad I wasn't chosen) and the woman down the bench from me had beautiful silver hair. I complimented her on it during a break. She was pleased but said it had been hard for her to grey so early. (I think she may be somewhere in her 50s.) Here in the South it is easier to strike up conversations with strangers like I did, but if you don't mind complimenting people whom you don't know, it makes them and you feel really good about the encounter.

You just reminded me, MemSahib! I complemented a woman on her way to an AA meeting at work on Sunday. Her hair was long, snow white and in a ponytail. I told her how beautiful it was and that her look was what I was shooting for. She seemed delighted.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Linda K View Post
    Again, I totally ditto Xandergrammy. You can ALWAYS color it.
    XG: After reading the ingredient list on the Ojon Glossing Mist, I was waivering (sp) about it having too many 'cones - but I saw in the Going Gray recommendation on care that Dinana recommends it. The key being keeping it moist and therefore healthy looking. I'm seriously thinking of going back to the Ojon Ultra Hydrating 'poo & conditioner. That had been working the best last summer. H-m-m maybe hubby will spring for that instead going out ...

Linda, I think you should use whatever makes you and your hair look and feel fabulous! Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd be using that if I had the kind of results you say you get from it.

I forgot to post earlier about my oiling method. Basically, I don't have one. I use vanilla monoi oil and apply at least a dab most every day- to my braid tassel or my wispies. When I do a heavier oiling, I mist my hair first with water (not too much though) and then slop on the oil. My hair sucks it up.

Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post

I put down "people" instead of ladies because my brother dyes his hair and I'm not anymore. Kind of a funny difference between siblings. He's trying a lot harder to maintain his illusions. Surely, there is a dye market for graying men.

Call me old fashioned, but I always think it looks strange when men dye their hair. It never ever looks natural to me.

Length
    17?/23?/tb???
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    Linda, I think you should use whatever makes you and your hair look and feel fabulous! Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd be using that if I had the kind of results you say you get from it.

I forgot to post earlier about my oiling method. Basically, I don't have one. I use vanilla monoi oil and apply at least a dab most every day- to my braid tassel or my wispies. When I do a heavier oiling, I mist my hair first with water (not too much though) and then slop on the oil. My hair sucks it up.
    Thanks ... Just wish I'd thought of it before my 'allotment' was used up! I've been working on changing my cookware and a pot I thought wouldn't be back in stock til April showed up unexpectantly. Then I deleted a pair of hair sticks deciding flexi's would be best, but forgot to remove the sniper bid ... I won. So, I'm broke til ... payday - but which month!
    Next month we'll be gone to workshops for a week so that expense shoots March, then of course the usual April tax time and May taxes! Sheesh! Summer is upon us!
    I must say, if I explain it to him, he's usually pretty understanding about $20. I've been messing with Sweet Allmond Oil, Emu (Sticky stuff - yuck!) and coconut oil. Trying not to 'poo everyday doesn't always work. When I'm out in public, I would like my hair to look good - to encourage others to get of the color-wheel. (knock head against desk).

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I always think it looks strange when men dye their hair. It never ever looks natural to me.
    I don't believe I've ever seen a man with colored hair! But,
    I've always wondered why the guys got by with 5 or 10 minute colors! I just saw a commercial for a shorter one for women last week - forgot the brand since it's no longer of interest!

ETA: Oh wait! I was going to try Beethoven's 'poo bar! Maybe I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens first!

"Embracing all that *Sparkles*!"
    ~ Renegray Gang Member~

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Linda K View Post

DEMETRUE: Where do you find the Rosewater? I don't know that I've EVER seen it anywhere. What does it do for your hair? Would your 'cocktail' work without that one ingredient? I misted last night and added a little more conditioner - today the finer stuff is a little oily looking and the gray is normal to slightly dry.
    The glycerin/rosewater was already blended in a bottle from the healthfood store. They also just had plain rosewater or plain glycerine. You can leave out the rosewater - it is a softener and smells really good, that's the only reason I use it - I love the smell!

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem

Length
    17/40/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    Thanks everyone who replied! Demetreu, I'm going to try that after I run out today and get some glycerin.

Rosa, I don't know even one person in my whole area below the age of sixty who is letting their gray come in naturally. Seriously, nobody does it. It is not done. Nods. I know this is true, because I have been told all about it!

You know what? I don't care. And especially with you in the arts, I would think people would be more accepting? You can always dye it again if you don't like it!

Actually, some (not all) of the rudest people I've met were artists. Or artsy. So, that's not a sure thing. On a sort of related note, there was an interview with reporter Helen Thomas and she said she hated to talk about age/aging because she didn't understand why people thought she should move along and let others take over (she's 81 or 82). She didn't understand why she should be put out to pasture. She also had a terrible dye job. Anyway, that's the news world, and even she runs into bias.

Length
    17/40/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    I actually am allergic to the chemicals. I dyed my hair for many years and then started having chemical sensitivity. For awhile I tried to push through it and use NutraTint and only leave it on as long as I could stand it but that even became too much. Then I switched to henna and I have been doing that about a year and a half and now I have the color build up which is really bugging me. So, now I am just over it! The grays are coming in softly and naturally now which is preferable. I dont have enough yet to have a line of demarcation so its a good time to do this. Its definately salt and peppery now in the new growth and I am quite happy with it! I will be a grandma this summer for the first time and I am going to look the part!
    Ouch, sorry that you had that allergic reaction! But, glad that you're loving your greys! And congratulations on the grandbaby!