Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Can sulfates be good for some hair?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should go back to using sulfates on my scalp or not. My hair gets greasy and oily very fast. I'm wondering if sulfates on the scalp only will help with that or if it's too stripping and not worth it? I've been sulfate free for a long time now, but my scalp just doesn't feel as clean (I shampoo every day with a sulfate-, protein-, and cone-free shampoo), and feels worse with CO.

Anyone here use sulfates still even though they are pretty looked down upon here on LHC?

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Can sulfates be good for some hair?

It is quite possible for sulfates to work better for some people - we have a handful of pro-sulfate people around here, though I am not one of them as I actually have a skin-reaction to sulfates.

I had two questions for you, though - 1) how long have you been sulfate free and 2) have you tried going longer between your washes?

If you haven't been sulfate free for very long, your scalp may not have adjusted to not being stripped yet. For some people it's a couple of weeks, for others, it takes up to 6 months, and some people never adjust and need the sulfates.

The other thing is that even without sulfates, your scalp may not like being washed every day and is overproducing oils as a result.

There are a number of things you can use to soak up oils without washing them out in the meanwhile, including corn starch and (if your hair is dark) cocoa powder. Just apply to the scalp, let sit for 5-20 minutes, and then brush out.

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I don't think sulfates are good or bad; it just depends on what appeals to your personal philosophy and agrees with your skin. I can use pretty much any shampoo available to me because my scalp is not picky. I dilute most of them. I don't know if my current shampoo is sulfate-free or not. I don't pay much attention. Price and scent are more important to me.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingHeart View Post
    It is quite possible for sulfates to work better for some people - we have a handful of pro-sulfate people around here, though I am not one of them as I actually have a skin-reaction to sulfates.

I had two questions for you, though - 1) how long have you been sulfate free and 2) have you tried going longer between your washes?

If you haven't been sulfate free for very long, your scalp may not have adjusted to not being stripped yet. For some people it's a couple of weeks, for others, it takes up to 6 months, and some people never adjust and need the sulfates.

The other thing is that even without sulfates, your scalp may not like being washed every day and is overproducing oils as a result.

There are a number of things you can use to soak up oils without washing them out in the meanwhile, including corn starch and (if your hair is dark) cocoa powder. Just apply to the scalp, let sit for 5-20 minutes, and then brush out.

~Blaze
    I've been sulfate free for the better part of a year (even before joining LHC).

I have tried stretching washes, and I hate it. I know there is usually a transition period for that too, but I just can't handle it. I hate how I look in updos, and it's exacerbated by my bangs. I'm growing out my bangs and they are at an awkward, stringy length. If they are greasy, they affect the whole look of my hair. I feel really bad about myself when I look like crap and also I need to look clean and presentable at work, and I just DON'T if my hair isn't washed. So stretching washes isn't an option for me, at least at the moment.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I use sulfates! Not going to lie, I love shampoo. When I tried COing, I hated the feeling of a not freshly-scrubbed scalp! I used Tresseme Naturals Moisturizing Shampoo+Conditioner, which is supposed to have lower sulfates, and whether it does or not I like it.

APL+//BSL//MBL//Waist

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I am a proud cone-and-sulfate head!!! I use Aussie or Garnier products. I like 'em! I also wash my hair every day (my job is messy. I'll get oil on my head and I do NOT want my bed to smell like Motorex! lol)

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've recently gone back to shampooing with sulfate shampoos every other day. Sometimes I shampoo every day. I still CO wash some of the time. I'm not struggling to find a sulfate free shampoo anymore. My hair and my scalp are very happy now. I still use a ton of moisturizing condition each wash. That hasn't changed. My hair is clean and nice all the time now. I don't have to have so many days where I can barely tolerate my hair any more due to the unwashed, sebum coated-ness. I was growing to hate my hair when I was stretching washes. Well no more! I'm washing it 3-4 times a week and I am happy and enjoying it again. I have no scalp issues other than a little occasional itching but I had that with CO and I really itched when I stretched washes. I think enjoying your hair and liking the way it looks are important parts of being a long haired person.
    Last edited by Carolyn; July 31st, 2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: edit for clarity

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    SL+/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

It depends on whether you use cones or not. If you use cones you will find that you may need to use an SLS shampoo or have some other methods of getting rid of buildup (that generally needs to be stronger than just an ACV rinse). If you don't use cones then it's likely an SLS shampoo can be avoided. I am personally on a cones kick right now so am using SLS shampoo often. I still have non SLS shampoo but it doesn't work well in combo with cone condish. I like to CO with no cone condish, in which case I only need to use a sulfate shampoo once a month or so.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Going sulfate free made me shed like the dickens. My scalp is much better with it. I CWC with cone free conditioners, so the sulfates don't touch the ends of my hair.

Length
    shldr/APL/APL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I use SLS free shampoo and no conditioner, my hair seems to be enjoying this...
    However if i've overdone the coconut oil/ blackseed oil, i have used ammonium LS shampoo to clarify, though find sodium bicarb diluted in a jug of water works pretty well too! I find SLS irritates my skin and also i feel it makes my hair shed like mad. The ammonium LS doesnt cause a skin reaction on me. But different skin and hair tolerates varying handling and treatment, so it depends on trialing things and seeing what works for you