Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get the red tones out of hair ?

Default How to get the red tones out of hair ?

Wondering if anyone can help me. I dyed my hair a golden brown which gave me alot of red tones....I dont like it. I prefer a flat chocolate brown color. Is there something they can do at the salon to get the red out or can I buy a color that will counter act it next time ? something ashy ?
    Thanks ladies.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How to get the red tones out of hair ?

I had this happen to me last summer. I used a medium ash brown (5) to get rid of the really red tone. (I have a lot of red naturally, this went a nasty coppery colour.) Anything with the ash should help tone it down.

Length
    S/BSL/Hips
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hi

It depends what colour you were originally. If you were blonde or light brown you need a red filler. You need to dye red and then brown.

Anything with golden/goldy/carmael ect is going to through red, particularly if you have red undertones.

If you want a more ashy colour and are using packets you need something with a name like flat, ash or natural.

I suggest going to a salon if you dont want goldy colours so they can fil it with the appropriate shades.
    grow hair grow!

follow my blog here

Length
    ears/34"/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Aveda has a "blue malva" line that *supposedly* minimizes red tones. I love the shampoo, but haven't been using it now that I henna-what would be the point of that? If you're looking for something immediate though, like others said, you need some sort of "ash" color. I used to use a boxed "ash brown" that minimized the reds in my hair.

I've used hibiscus tea rinses when I dyed my blond hair auburn, didn't like it and decided to bleach it twice (myself) to get rid of the color. Yeah, the auburn was gone, but I ended up with mushy, light-orange hair
    Anyway, my hairdresser, after laughing her butt off when she saw me enter the salon, recommended at least 2 weeks of intensive protein/moisture treatments before applying another dye. She was the one who told me about the hibiscus. Don't fret that it's red, it turns blue when it dries. It should cut down the brass. Unfortunately, it last only until the next wash.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Head and shoulders shampoo helps fade dyes or a colour oops (i think there called in USA) may help. Ashy colours will help tone down a red but id try and fade it as much as you can first.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    25.2/30.7/47.2
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Are there any natural ingredients that tone the red colour done?

Length
    44"/60"/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Skjønnhår View Post
    Are there any natural ingredients that tone the red colour done?
    You could try amla in your mix when you dye with natural ingredients, but if your hair is a light color it may make it darker.
    Last edited by Yosha; May 20th, 2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: adding something to make myself a bit more clear

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Red and gold tones are REALLY HARD to get out.

I've been trying to neutralize the red out of my hair since juanary and now I'm giving up. I did to demi and one semi permanent hair dye with a blue based ash in it (I have orange tones).

It depends how red your hair is.

The blue-purple shampoo and conditionners are for light hair colors. It doesn't do much on darker tones. You need to cover it with a ashy-natural color at least has dark as your base. That's why I waited so long between my neutralizing. I'm waiting for it to fade and then I do it again.

I had it twice professionnaly done and one by myself.

Length
    25.2/30.7/47.2
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thx yosha.
    30,7 inch of golden blond hair.
    Goal: Classic length.