Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil

Default Coconut Oil

I'm off to get some. How much do you generally apply and do you use it mostly on your ends? Leave it in or wash it out? If you wash it out, how long do you keep it in?

Length
    SL/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Coconut Oil

I dip my finger in the oil and then do my hair in about 6 section and finger comb the oil through my hair. I do this everyday and a ft maybe once a week for an hour. The oil seems to work better when my hair is wet.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Synnovea View Post
    I'm off to get some. How much do you generally apply and do you use it mostly on your ends? Leave it in or wash it out? If you wash it out, how long do you keep it in?
    Oooo you're going to love it! I started using it at the beginning of December, and if you want to see what an amazing difference it has made already, check out the side-by-side picture in my most recent blog post.

I don't apply very much--a little goes a long way. I apply a small amount when my hair is damp after I shower. I noticed that if I apply too much when my hair is wet, it dries stringy. And then I put a tiny amount in every night before I braid my hair for bed (or throw it up into a sock bun), and a tiny amount every morning after I take down my hair (unless I have sock bun curls, ).

I see that you have very similar hair to mine, and the same length, so you probably don't need too much either. I apply it from about my earlobes down, starting at my ends (because they're dry and damaged from too many years of heat styling). And it smells so yummy!!

I know some people use coconut oil as a DT overnight before they wash their hair, but I prefer to use olive oil for my DT because it's quite a bit heavier.

Best of luck!!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Like pretty much everything hair related it all depends on your hair and how it reacts to it. You can use it as a leave in, pre-wash treatment or whatever you like. You could use it on all of your length or just the ends, depending on where you feel you need it.

I personally use it as a pre-wash heavy oiling treatment on all of the length and leave it on from 1 hour to overnight. I tried it as a leave in but it just made my hair look oily and stringy, Extra Virgin Olive Oil works better for me as a leave-in. I hope that helps.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

I like to rub just a few drops in the ends after a wash (while my hair is still a little wet). Then I comb it through and braid it and in the morning I have shiny waves.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    sld/wst/cls
    Type
    3a/M/iii

i use it one time a week as a heavy oil treatment, and sleep with it and wash in the morning, i use in the end of my hair to prevent split ends everyday( very little bit) and and a leave-in after i wash....my hair loves it

Length
    APL/25"/32"
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by dili View Post
    i use it one time a week as a heavy oil treatment, and sleep with it and wash in the morning, i use in the end of my hair to prevent split ends everyday( very little bit) and and a leave-in after i wash....my hair loves it
    You know I've never tried it as a heavy oil treatment...my hair hates it just using it as a normal oil everyday so I use it on my daughters' hair and theirs does well with it but I might try it as a deep oiling now that you've mentioned it.
    Henna head. Goal of hip

Length
    Chin/TBL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I use it daily on my ends and bottom half of my length, I mix mine with a with a small amount of shea butter. I use about half a pea size of each. If I were going to use just coconut oil as a daily moisturizer, I would apply a pea sized amount of it. For a deep treatment, I would use maybe a half dollar sized amount, or enough to saturate your length. I would leave that on overnight then wash it out the next morning.
    Slowly creeping towards knee-length hair...

Great information here. Thanks to all for your replies. I'm armed with my new coconut oil and eager to give it a whirl.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I use mine as a DT the night before a wash. I spritz the bottom half of my length with water until it's damp. Then rub about 2-3 pea-sized portions throughout the bottom half of my hair until it feels thoroughly coated (but not totally slathered in) in the oil. Whatever is left on my hands after coating the length I use to smooth over the upper half of my hair. Then I put it up in one of those claw clips. I try to do this early enough in the evening so that my hair is mostly dry when I go to sleep (my hair dries fairly fast so YMMV). It looks kind of stringy at this point.

After washing the next day, my ends feel much softer and they get tangled much less from doing this. Hope that helps!