Thread: White dots on tips of hair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: White dots on tips of hair

White dots on the very tips are sometimes the result of cutting with dull scissors.
    Last edited by allycat; November 24th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    White dots on the very tips are sometimes the result of cutting with dull scissors.
    Yes, I think that might be the answer to the problem. Though my last trim wasn't pleasant though; the hairdresser used thinning shears to cut my hair when it was wet, I remember her pulling my hair and running the shears down my hair, it was so horrible.

Length
    APL/42/here!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Donyyful View Post
    Yes, I think that might be the answer to the problem. Though my last trim wasn't pleasant though; the hairdresser used thinning shears to cut my hair when it was wet, I remember her pulling my hair and running the shears down my hair, it was so horrible.
    It sounds like this was definitely the culprit, then. Cutting the hair at that sort of downward angle is like shaving the tips with a razor, leaving a taper instead of a perpendicular cut at the end of the hair shaft. I used to do this to the bits of hair that framed my face (I got the idea from my hairdresser, who would do this as a finishing touch to my haircuts!). It definitely leaves the hair susceptible to damage.

I think moisturizing a bit, as suggested, and foregoing the tough shears during your next haircut will be enough to curtail them. Also, although it sounds like they are damage of some sort, it doesn't sound like particularly bad damage. I used to have tons of splits, white dots, fairy knots, etc., but they were a result of dye and heat tools. I still have a fair amount of them, but I'm amazed at how much of a difference diligent oiling and moisturizing has made! Especially in the cold winter months. I'd say as long as your hair isn't splitting, the white dots aren't too worrisome.

Cat Lady, Yarn Maker, Trail Seeker

Post Re: White dots on tips of hair

Quote Originally Posted by eyesofsummer View Post
    It sounds like this was definitely the culprit, then. Cutting the hair at that sort of downward angle is like shaving the tips with a razor, leaving a taper instead of a perpendicular cut at the end of the hair shaft. I used to do this to the bits of hair that framed my face (I got the idea from my hairdresser, who would do this as a finishing touch to my haircuts!). It definitely leaves the hair susceptible to damage.

I think moisturizing a bit, as suggested, and foregoing the tough shears during your next haircut will be enough to curtail them. Also, although it sounds like they are damage of some sort, it doesn't sound like particularly bad damage. I used to have tons of splits, white dots, fairy knots, etc., but they were a result of dye and heat tools. I still have a fair amount of them, but I'm amazed at how much of a difference diligent oiling and moisturizing has made! Especially in the cold winter months. I'd say as long as your hair isn't splitting, the white dots aren't too worrisome.
    Yes, I think I shall return back to trimming my hair myself now.

I just got my ends dusted today actually by my big brother; he said the white dots were at every corner he could see - cringes - I guess my new goal is to grow out my hair and then have a good trim as from my previous haircut, I have very uneven layers and all different lengths so it is definitely hard to cut them all at once. I will continue with my normal routine and S&D very regularly to rid these little buggers. grr.

Thanks for the comment!