Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Does anyone ever try to discourage you?

I can't say anyone has ever tried to discourage me. I think it's a combination of two things.

1) I don't talk about it. I don't flaunt it. I don't turn my hair into a conversation piece. It's on my head and that's it. I don't draw attention to it. I've seen people who do. Blatant hair flipping, stiff necked movements, extensive preening... I don't do that stuff.

2) My friends are really supportive. On the rare occasions that anyone has ever talked about it, I've only received positive comments about my hair. I'm close to tailbone, and I've yet to hear any "It's too long" nonsense. I've heard "Oooooh, grow some for me!" or "Man, I wish I had that kind of patience" but never anything discouraging or negative.

I guess I'm lucky
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    27,5/38/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

I´m happy to know my DBF loves long hair (his ex-girlfriend had classic+ and perfect hair so I have a hard time living up to that. and NO I had the same hair goal before I met him so thats not why i´m growing it!)

I have a friend though who dislike long hair. Like I care! Most of my friends are metalheads and among them long hair is status.
    TBL->Classic
    Goal length: Below Classic

Length
    15.75/22/25
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

My mom - who would NEVER do or say anything to hurt me even the slightest bit.
    It's not so much discouragement as truth when she tells me my hair is too thin to look good at anything other than short lengths.
    These pics were about 10 years ago... Trying again from similar to that short pic.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by InTheCity View Post
    My mom - who would NEVER do or say anything to hurt me even the slightest bit.
    It's not so much discouragement as truth when she tells me my hair is too thin to look good at anything other than short lengths.
    I'll bet your hair ISN'T too thin to look GREAT at longer lengths! I see your siggy pics, it looks awsome! Keep it up!
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kitten91 View Post
    yes! in fact, i just got my butt over here to find this thread real quick. i was showing my hair stylist friend a picture of the red hair color i was wanting to try (semi permanently, mind you) and she was all 'no no it'll make you red it'll look bad.' so apparently i looked bad when i was in high school and had a red tint to my hair? THEN she said 'we can do red highlights if you want red'. that'll just kill my hair, it can't take bleach, it can barely take permanent hair color going darker. AND she is constantly saying i should let her mess with it, when the last time i did she hairsprayed and back combed it and pulled it so tight, i literally had a headache after only 15 minutes. then when i tried to wash it out nearly half my hair fell off. she is always wanting to cut it super short (like hers, she has a pixie cut) and dye it blond (i hate blond on myself). i've told her i'm trying to grow it out and she says 'oh but i want to cut it shorter, it'll look nice with layers in it, i'll only cut it to neck length'. NO. i have layers now and i'm trying to get rid of them! it's like she wants my hair to be multi color, short, fried, and crappy like hers. *not saying you can't have nice multi color short hair, i'm sure there are people who do that and treat it very well* it just makes me so mad. don't even get me started on how she never has to do anything, then gets mad that i can't go out and party with her until 3 am in a bar. i'm sorry, i'm in school working towards pharmacy school. i have a job in a pharmacy. i don't get to sit around and bleach and dye and cut my hair every week and complain that no one likes me then say all the cute guys hit on me on facebook. this girl has been workin on my nerves every since she got out of cosmetology school because she thinks that gives her license to be able to persuade me to do what she wants to my head. i'm planning on not bringing up hair with her again. really sorry guys, i just really needed to rant.
    Hugs to you! I say maybe find a new stylist? You would looke GREAT red, just saying and she has NO idea what she is talking about! No one should discourage you! Your hair is beautiful and will be so beautiful long! Gosh, it makes me angry when stylists do that, I'm sorry it happened to you, you don't deserve it or need it, I say just let it roll off your backa dn carry on with your gorgeous, soon to be red and super long hair!
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

My mother doesn't like my henna and tells me so. She believes that older ladies should have lighter colored hair because it makes a person look younger. She may be right but I just love my dark red henna-smooth hair. I look my age which is fine with me...I've earned it!
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    13"/21"/34"
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Wow.. I'm shocked to read some of the discouraging stories! I must admit, I've been lucky, my mother has waist length hair & they hate when I cut my hair & my boyfriend loves when my hair is longer, he says its silky & soft, I have good support.. thought my bf thinks I'm a bit wack-o with my slight obsession with keeping my hair as healthy as I can & using all natural products, learning/reading new ways to treat my locks.

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    Hugs to you! I say maybe find a new stylist? You would looke GREAT red, just saying and she has NO idea what she is talking about! No one should discourage you! Your hair is beautiful and will be so beautiful long! Gosh, it makes me angry when stylists do that, I'm sorry it happened to you, you don't deserve it or need it, I say just let it roll off your backa dn carry on with your gorgeous, soon to be red and super long hair!
    daww i just saw this! *hug* thanks hollyfire
    fortunately i haven't let her touch my hair since halloween, and i don't plan on anyone messin with it for a while! and yes, it'll be red by this time next week!

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
    My personal favorite, "Just keep in mind, women over 40 look silly and desperate with long girlish hair." - my EX-stylist replying to me a couple of years back on me telling her I was 35.
    Translation: we're bad for business.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    SL/wst+/Hip
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Mine is not about the length, but about my natural hair!
    A friend of mine used to tell me that my dark, stick-straight hair was dull and boring. Well, she had dark blonde wavy hair that was beautiful, so I'd get a bit... self-counscious, I guess.
    That until she started straightening her hair and said she wanted to dye it black. Hey, wasn't it boring...? hahaha! So I just brushed off everything she said.
    Plus, everyone else around me is quite supportive, so I don't mind such comments anymore.