Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil - solid or liquid???

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Red face Coconut oil - solid or liquid???

Okay, I've been trawling through the many and varied threads on coconut oil and my head is spinning!

I want to try coconut oil again but I'm not sure about what type to look for. The last time I had any it was a solid (until those scorching few weeks we had in the UK last August when it melted and gave me a nasty surprise when I went to open the tub!) and I got it from Neal's Yard. I used it as a pre-wash treatment, but never as a leave-in; I wondered if the fact that it was a solid at room temperature meant that it would do something waxy/weird to my hair.

Am I making any sense so far?!

I want to try it again but the solid thing still worries me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there coconut oils available that are liquid even at cooler temperatures? Is that what fractionated/refined coconut oil is? Will I ever stop feeling like a clueless LHC noob?!

TIA

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Coconut oil - solid or liquid???

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    Okay, I've been trawling through the many and varied threads on coconut oil and my head is spinning!

I want to try coconut oil again but I'm not sure about what type to look for. The last time I had any it was a solid (until those scorching few weeks we had in the UK last August when it melted and gave me a nasty surprise when I went to open the tub!) and I got it from Neal's Yard. I used it as a pre-wash treatment, but never as a leave-in; I wondered if the fact that it was a solid at room temperature meant that it would do something waxy/weird to my hair.

Am I making any sense so far?!

I want to try it again but the solid thing still worries me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there coconut oils available that are liquid even at cooler temperatures? Is that what fractionated/refined coconut oil is? Will I ever stop feeling like a clueless LHC noob?!

TIA
    Fractionated coconut oil is treated to be liquid at room temperature.....i have used it in the past and liked it. Refined can be solid at room temperature....it usually means it's made from copra which is coconut meat dried often by leaving it in the sun, then the oil extracted from that is bleached, deoderised and refined.

I use either virgin coconut oil which is where the oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat with no refining processes.....or i use a specific hair oil like dabur vatika coconut oil. I really wouldn't worry about it being solid at room temperature....i've never noticed it trying to resolidify in my hair....though i think some members find that happens if they live in very cold climates.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    12/42/term

I'm new to coconut oil. I melt it in my palms and rub it through the length of my hair after it's washed. I will reapply small amounts to the ends if they feel dry. No gloopy or sticky feel. It just feels a slick if I get overly generous with it.

Length
    24/26/Hips
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Coconut oil, melts with the heat of your body. Put a bit in your hands and it melts away to an oil.

Melting point of coconut oil is between 21 -25 C.

I bought two jars at the same time:

One said coconut oil on it: 100% coconut oil, it did not taste or smell like coconut oil. Less expensive.

The other jar said, organic extra virgin coconut oil, cold-pressed & pure white: (not refined, decoodorized or bleached). It tasted and smelled like coconut oil. More expensive.

From now on, I will always buy coconut oil that says not refined, extra virgin coconut oil. They do not smell the same, look the same or taste the same.

I usaully store my coconut in the cupboard, when it got warm I started storing it in the fridge. It is not harder to use if stored in the fridge, the only difference is that I scrape it with a spoon instead of digging in when in the cupboard.

I still need to learn to put small amounts on my hair, so they do not look oily.

Length
    17"/38.5/45
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My hair responds better when I put the coconut oil in while my hair is still damp. This way, I don't get the greasies... I think it depends on your hair type.

I have used cheap & expensive brands of coconut oil--not much difference in results. The medium-heat coconut oil seems to be a little lighter on the hair & is good for fine hair--but other than that--if the cheaper stuff is working--keep with it!
    You grow girl!

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

I remember when I went to the store to get some Coconut oil and all they had was the kind in the tub... I thought I had made a mistake or something, I guess it's not odd for it to be solid

Maybe next time I won't feel afraid to purchase a solid oil now that I know that it's common.
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

I did a light coconut oiling this morning, using the tiniest smear of oil. My hair does feel lovely I'm still using jojoba and avocado in my AGO mix, but I think I'll probably stick to coconut for pure oiling, instead of jojoba or avocado. They work well in my AGO mix but my hair feels better with the C than it did when I used J or A for oiling.

Length
    shldr/shldr/shldr

I went to some stores yesterday and the only place I found coconut oil was at Walmart. It was in the vitamin section. The label says "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil" and nothing else. I put a tiny amount on my ends and my hair feels very nice.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

It can be either depending on the temperature with the virgin stuff. I have noticed no difference in using it as a solid or a liquid and would really expect to since I rub it between my hands to liquefy it anyhow!

Length
    CL/CL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tap Dancer View Post
    I went to some stores yesterday and the only place I found coconut oil was at Walmart. It was in the vitamin section. The label says "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil" and nothing else. I put a tiny amount on my ends and my hair feels very nice.

Thats good to know. I'm going to Walmart today, and I've been wanting to try coconut oil. Thanks for the info!
    ~Renegray Gang Member~