Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimising the Search Function

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Optimising the Search Function

The search function can be a great tool, but it takes most of us ages to learn how to use it effectively.

Share all your search function tips so I can add them here to make a helpful reference thread!

General Search Help
    • The regular search only works for words with four or more letters, but there are work-arounds, such as searching tags.
    • Using quotes and a space before and after your search term, or *s around the words are seen as characters so will give results eg *SMT* and " SMT " will, SMT is too short
    • By default, the search goes to "show threads"; I find it more helpful to use the "show posts" option to bring up results that contain that word.
    • Each individual forum and thread has it's own search option, so you can narrow it down that way. For example, searching for "breakage" in the Tangle Teezer thread will produce more specific results than searching "tangle teezer breakage" across the whole forum
    • When you are trying to get to a specific post in the search result, click Re: Title in italic, not Title in bold
    • Double check your spelling before clicking "search" as there is a 30 second wait between searches
    • If you'd rather use a search engine, e.g. if you want to search for a three letter word in a title, and the tag system doesn't bring results, then you can seach the following on a search engine: your keyword site:longhaircommunity.com. It will only bring results from this site
    • Quotation marks are your friend! If you put "" around a phrase, you can search for that entire phrase instead of the individual words
    • For a further limit put spaces around the word. " smiley " will give you results having only the word "smiley" on its own. While a search for "smiley" can give you results for "smiley-riffic" and so on.
    • To expand search results use the wildcard *. For example you want to search for "smilies" but people can type it as "smiley", "smilie", etc. So to find all relevant posts you would put "smil*" in the search and it will give results for all words that start with "smil".

Advanced Search
    • Clicking on the "advanced search" option gives you more choices, including to search for posts by a single member containing keywords.
    • In advanced search, you can choose to search either posts or titles only when you're typing your keywords. I find the titles option useful when I'm looking for a dedicated thread on a brand, product or accessory

Tags
    • In advanced search, use the tag search function! It really helps, especially when you're searching for shorter words(under four letters), or words that are too common.
    • Since the tags are created by users, not automatically, please tag threads if you think there is a keyword that would be useful. You can add tags by scrolling down to the point between the posts and the Quick Reply box, and clicking "Edit Tags" on the right hand side of the screen.
    What are your best tips?
    Last edited by enfys; January 28th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Swedish-Italian Anglophile lost in Florida
    Length
    shldr/APL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Optimising the Search Function

In advanced search, use the tag function! It really helps, especially when you're searching for shorter words, or words that are too common.
    Madame Bovary's Basement * ~ * ~ * ~ Transatlantic Impressions * ~ * ~ * ~ My facebook

Shoulder - APL - BSL - waist - hip - tailbone

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by emmabovary View Post
    In advanced search, use the tag function! It really helps, especially when you're searching for shorter words, or words that are too common.
    Thanks I've added that. So three letter tags can be searched?

ETA: Just tried it and yes! Good to know. I knew I'd learn something!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

The tagging system is really a great way to go. If you see a thread, and notice it has only a few, or even no, tags, go ahead and add a relevant one. That way we add even more to that tag list. That way later down the road it's easy enough to not need to search for specific titles, since you could also search for a specific tag for what you want. I love tags.

Also, if you want to search for a three letter word in a title, but the tag system either isn't for you, doesn't have what you want, or a thread isn't tagged, then head over to a search engine like Google. Let's say I wanted to look up "oil" on here, using that. Search for the following:

oil site:longhaircommunity.com

What that does is searches for oil, but it has a specific reference point in its catalog to search from. Specifically our site!

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I just wanted to say thanks for making this thread.

Length
    Clsc/61/More!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

This is true for searches everywhere, not just here on LHC, but quotation marks are your friend! If you put "" around a phrase, you can search for that entire phrase instead of the individual words.

You can also se the search functions to find threads that you're participating in. Unlike the "Statistics" tab in your profile, a search will show threads that include your name sorted by most recent first so that you can see if a thread that you've posted in or started is still active.

Thanks for starting this thread-- the search function is an awesome thing!

"I met a lady in the meads / full beautiful, a faery's child / her hair was long, her foot was light / And her eyes were wild."
    61" (Mid-calf) | 1c/2a | F | iii

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thanks Gumball; I condensed what you said a little so I hope it still makes sense

You're welcome ddiana1979

Eternallyverdan
    , before I post the username search, I just want to clarify something.

It only includes posts that say your name in the body of the text doesn't it? So not the posts you're made but the posts you've been quoted in? Finding the original posts is through a member's profile isn't it? I hope that made sense

Can anyone help me out with the wildcard "*" inclusion please? I never really understood it so I'm not happy explaining it even though I know it exists

I hope people are finding this useful.
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post

Can anyone help me out with the wildcard "*" inclusion please? I never really understood it so I'm not happy explaining it even though I know it exists
    The wildcard helps expand the search, for example you want to search for "smilies" but people can type it as "smiley", "smilie", etc. So to find all relevant posts you would put "smil*" in the search and it will give results for all words that start with "smil".

On another note if you want to limit your search to an exact word put it in quotes. Example: "Smiley" will give results only for "smiley" containing words.

For a further limit put spaces around the word. " smiley " will give you results having only the word "smiley" on its own. While a search for "smiley" can give you results for "smiley-riffic" and so on.

Hope that helps.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    The wildcard helps expand the search, for example you want to search for "smilies" but people can type it as "smiley", "smilie", etc. So to find all relevant posts you would put "smil*" in the search and it will give results for all words that start with "smil".

On another note if you want to limit your search to an exact word put it in quotes. Example: "Smiley" will give results only for "smiley" containing words.

For a further limit put spaces around the word. " smiley " will give you results having only the word "smiley" on its own. While a search for "smiley" can give you results for "smiley-riffic" and so on.

Hope that helps.
    Very helpful, and smiley-riffic is a wonderful, underused word

Thank you
    📸 Hairstagram

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

My tip: If you want to search "SMT" but the search tells you the word is too short, use "*SMT*". The asterisk (*) is a wildcard and by using it you increase the search to over three characters, thereby circumventing the four-letter minimum.
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!