Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question I thought of today..

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Default A question I thought of today..

How do you guys prevent the smell of smoke from staying in your hair? I have trouble getting the smell out even after I shampoo.

I shoot pool on a team and we play in bars or pool halls every week. The city where I live hasn't banned smoking in public places yet and I'm not sure when/if they will.

Any suggestions?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: A question I thought of today..

Maybe pin it up and wear a bandana/scarf over it? I was never so glad as when they banned smoking in bars up here. Except that DH and I used to go out dancing and now we don't (DH is a smoker). I thought it was going to be so great to get out there and dance without getting short of breath from all the smoke.

I second the scarf over the hair.
    Vodka is supposed to be good for removing smoke smell (at least for laundry) and I think I remember reading that it helps hair shine (diluted), but I've never tried it myself.

Account Closed by Member Request

I hadn't thought of the scarf, but I was going to suggest that the days you go to the pool hall would be a no-wash day until after you shoot pool.

My mom and sissy are big smokers (and some other family members); I plan my outfits and my hair around my visits...I make sure I don't wear any "dry clean only" when I visit with my mom/sissy...I make sure I don't wear big thick sweaters, or my winter wool coat, and I most certainly make sure my hair is bunned up, oiled and not freshly washed...My hair is like a sponge and soaks up the smoke...I absolutely hate the smell of smoke on any part of me, especially my hair...

I'm surprised shampoo is not working... I've never had a problem cleaning smoke from my hair with everyday shampoo.

Length
    BSL/BSL/Class
    Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

CO- washing helps. The more moisturized my hair is, the smoke doesn't seem to penetrate it as much.

I use to have problems washing the smell of smoke out of my hair when I used really heavy mineral oil-based styling products.
    RedButterfly
    Lady Melete of the Heart Hearkened Tales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I used to have a friend who was not just a chain smoker, but his dad smoked cigars constantly, and they had several dogs they didn't really take care of. Even if I was there 5 minutes, I had to detox as soon as I got home. Couldn't even leave the dirty clothes in my hamper in my room.

I just had to lather several times. Putting my hair up didn't work, and even after 2-3 lathers sometimes it stayed in until the day after.

You know, baking soda is really good at absorbing odors. Maybe you should put baking soda on your hair dry, let it kindof sit for a bit, THEN shampoo. I bet that would help!

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

A post-shampoo rinse with AVC, lemon juice, or lime juice might be helpful.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

or maybe putting a few drops of EO in your shampoo, ipersonally love ylang ylang
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    12/?/WL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yes to the lemon juice suggestion. I recall women who worked in bars or in fish factories using lemon anything to get rid of the smell.

If you live near a natural products store like Whole Foods perhaps, you could try asking them. I know there's a product out now - completely natural and effective - at eliminating cat urine odor by attacking enzymes in the air. It's something you leave out like a bowl of baking soda so you wouldn't put it in or on your hair. May be worth a try.