Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your method for applying henna to roots only

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Share your method for applying henna to roots only

I'm curious how everyone applies henna to their roots?

Lately I've been sectioning my hair into like 14-16 little ponytails and applying the mud with an applicator brush to each section, while keeping the other ponytails clipped away. It takes me at least 45 minutes and it's not a good time, but I can't seem to figure out another method that's foolproof and thorough.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist - Hip

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: Share your method for applying henna to roots only

Messily. Lol.

I do the braid thing. I’m not very accurate at getting only roots. I only do maybe 6-8 braids and squish the henna in with my fingers. I’d heard a dye applicator plastic bottle with the pointy tip works to help get it in there, but I bought a couple and lost them before I ever got to use them so I just use my fingers.

I’ll do 9:1 cassia:henna on the lengths

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Mine is too short to braid, but I was thinking I might try making less ponytails and squirting the henna into each section with a bottle and rubbing it around. That sounds far less painful.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I just squish the henna into my scalp with my fingers and ignore the length. It isn’t super precise but it’s easy. Since I have the length henndigoed, I’m not worrying about overlapping previously colored hair.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Man that sounds awesome. I wish I didn't have to worry about overlap, otherwise I would just do that. Also you have such beautiful hair! Just stunning.

I take a squeeze bottle with a long tip, squeeze the henna down to my roots, and then smash it onto my scalp/hair and massage it in to make sure I got it everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Man that sounds awesome. I wish I didn't have to worry about overlap, otherwise I would just do that. Also you have such beautiful hair! Just stunning.
    I used to worry about overlap, but have heard from people here that there isn't really an obvious demarcation line. I suppose it might depend on how often you do your roots, though. I procrastinate so long that my roots are usually 2-3 inches long, so it's not like the overlap happens that often.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Thank you so much!
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I take a squeeze bottle with a long tip, squeeze the henna down to my roots, and then smash it onto my scalp/hair and massage it in to make sure I got it everywhere...

I used to worry about overlap, but have heard from people here that there isn't really an obvious demarcation line. I suppose it might depend on how often you do your roots, though. I procrastinate so long that my roots are usually 2-3 inches long, so it's not like the overlap happens that often.
    I end up getting henna all over random, previously dyed sections anyways so I should stop being so meticulous, since I'm failing at it anyways lol.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My mother's method is to section her hair into perhaps a dozen little front-to-back sections, secure them with those teensy rubber-band-type hair ties, hold each section up by the hair tie, and squoosh the henna in against the scalp with a little spatula. Her hair is only chin-length, so this might be a good option for others whose hair is too short for the braid method.

I end up getting henna all over random, previously dyed sections anyways so I should stop being so meticulous, since I'm failing at it anyways lol.
    I would have noooo idea how to tell what has henna vs. what is undyed roots, on darkish hair, with my glasses off... so smush-and-pray it is! (That is, pray I don't miss any spots. I frequently/almost always miss my "sideburns".... sometimes even when I make an effort to try to smush henna in front of my ears.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.