Thread: Henna fading after 3 months

Length
    19/23.5/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Henna fading after 3 months

Okay, so I know henna is supposed to be permanent, but it's been 3 months since my second (and most recent) henna application (yes, I've got serious roots) and my hair is clearly less red than it was (And I've double checked by looking at pictures taken in the same lighting over the past couple months). It's now just almost completely brown. Just for information, I've been doing CO washing 2-3 times per week, and used SLS shampoo only twice to clarify. I'm not terribly upset about the faded color, I'm just wondering that if I do a whole head application of henna will it turn my hair back to my original henna color or will it be more burgundy as often happens over several applications of henna? I don't want burgundy, I want auburn. And that's what I had after two hendigo's. And if, in y'all's opinion it would turn darker from henna building up, is there any way to get my auburn back?

Length
    Chin/WL/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: Henna fading after 3 months

I think a gloss on the length would suffice I'd just apply straight henna on my roots, a gloss seems to have revived my previous-application hair color without any noticeable burgundy tones.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Has it faded (as in, the henna has washed out), or has the henna darkened and become more brown? Fading is obviously easier to cope with. Darkening is usually caused by something -- heat styling is the first thing that comes to mind.

And yes, henna does fade on some people. Usually the ones who would rather it didn't... It's permanent, or permanent after the second application, on a large majority of people. But there are always exceptions.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    19/23.5/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Has it faded (as in, the henna has washed out), or has the henna darkened and become more brown? Fading is obviously easier to cope with. Darkening is usually caused by something -- heat styling is the first thing that comes to mind.

And yes, henna does fade on some people. Usually the ones who would rather it didn't... It's permanent, or permanent after the second application, on a large majority of people. But there are always exceptions.
    No heat styling here. It would be hard to tell if it just darkened to brown because that's my natural color...my hair just seems less red, but about the same shade of brown in always was, not darker.

I use a diluted henna mix in the first place (50% henna, the other 50% made up of coffee and indigo and spices). I think I'll take the advice of doing some sort of a gloss on my length, although I'm considering dropping the indigo from my mix and making it all coffee and henna...maybe a 30% henna to 70% coffee. hmmmm

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I'd touch up the roots and then make a light gloss for the length.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

My henna always fades too and I'm a once-a-week shampoo bar washer who also doesn't use heat. I've tried several brands of henna, some from very well-known and established companies and in varying mixtures including straight henna. I have never done a gloss, always full head.

I use henna for the scalp bennies and thickening and shine and such and don't actually like the red that much, so this is pretty great to me! Each time I henna, it goes back to bright red and then turns brown after a few months. I have faintly more reddish glow in the sun from doing henna a month apart to see if I could make the red brighter one Halloween, but it never seems to turn burgundy. Last time I used alma and cassia in the mix and it came out much browner to start with. I used to do two-step hendigo, but it is a lot of fuss. I liked the black....but it faded just like henna does.

It's always best to assume henna is permanent sure, but there are some of us who are anomalies!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    19/23.5/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Thanks guys for the advice. I've got the henna mixed up, waiting for dye release. I'm doing just a gloss on the length and mixed up my normal goop for my roots. Hopefully it works!

Length
    19/23.5/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Update: My hair is back to the color I got from my very first henna! I though my second henna was just a little bit too dark of a red, so the fading and subsequent gloss has worked out perfect for me!

Length
    13/35/40
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Mine doesn't fade away, but certainly looks duller after 2-3 months. I stopped regular heavy pre-wash oiling because of that. It has helped. And yes, roots tend to fade more. Still, my henna has built up quite dark over time.