Thread: Detangle long, wet hair correctly (ladyshep youtube)

Default Detangle long, wet hair correctly (ladyshep youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM_3zmEAjTY

I thought I'd make one more video (while I'm on a role on youtube) on how to properly detangle wet hair. (Especially when you are in a hurry like I am.)

I'm sorry about all of my "ummms." The video is 12 minutes but you really don't have to watch all of it. Just get the gist on how to work wet hair correctly.

If you don't want to watch the video, here are some steps to use to detangle your wet hair.

1. Detangle hair with a wide tooth comb before entering shower. Section hair in two or three, depending how much hair you have, in the shower. If you want to skip step two, that's fine.

2. Put on conditioner, (if you use that) and take a wide tooth comb(I use one meant to use on wet hair) and start from the botttom and work your way up. You may use fingers as weill. Be careful to not rip through your hair. You're working with delicate hair here. The conditioner buffers the friction between your wet hair and comb. Hair stretches if you yank and rip on wet hair.

3. Rinse. Towel dry your hair. If you are in a hurry, take your wide tooth comb and gently work your WIDE tooth comb (no brush) and start GENTLY detangling from your bottom and work your way up on each section of hair. There is a lot of friction that occurs between comb and wet hair. You can avoid combing your very ends for now. Work out tangles with your fingers. If you find knots, and you just can't get it out, you will have to gently pull loose strands and finally release the knot out of your hair and throw in garbage. Don't rip it out of hair, work it out. Once you got everything detangled, comb all of your hair straight down. You also don't want to be ripping through your hair like I saw this lady on youtube doing to her VERY long hair.

4. Blend all together nicely from the back on down. Towel dry. Now you have nice, detangled hair which is important when you are growing your hair out and also to keep your long hair managable. More often than other days, I wait till my hair is more dry before I start to detangle. (I comb my natural layers, however, to prevent frizz as you can see in video.) But If I'm in a hurry one day, and just need to detangle my soaked hair, I go for it.

I use Biolage Detalngling solution, and it works wonders. (It has amidimethicone (sp?) in it, mind you) Sometimes I will put my hair in a ponytail and by the end of the day, I still have detangled, managable hair. You may use oil as well. That is a wonderful detangleer. (Too bad I'm alergic to cocunut oil. That stuff is great.)

I hope this helps someone. Thanks.
    Last edited by ladyshep; April 26th, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Hair history: 2014 cut knee length hair to bra strap length. June 2015- cut to shoulder length. April 2016 past APL growing to hip for goal and then maintain.

Length
    12/13.5/18
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default Re: Detangle long, wet hair correctly (ladyshep youtube)

Great video! Thanks for the info.

Length
    14"/21"/28"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ladyshep View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM_3zmEAjTY

I thought I'd make one more video (while I'm on a role on youtube) on how to properly detangle wet hair. (Especially when you are in a hurry like I am.)

I'm sorry about all of my "ummms." The video is 12 minutes but you really don't have to watch all of it. Just get the gist on how to work wet hair correctly.
    Thanks for making this! Very helpful to see the physical manifestation of what everyone keeps talking about.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thanks. Very good to know how to detangle properly!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16"/TBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Very nice! Thank you.
    Lady Rose of the Angels in the Order Of The Long Haired Knights