Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

Length
    15"/BSL/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hair cleavage, when is it too much?

From the looks of your picture your hair doesn't look thin at all. It looks normal to me. I think that you have beautiful hair!
    I have had the "hair cleavage" issue all of my life also. I think that as someone else said that it is easier to cover it up as your hair gets longer. I wear it in a half up a lot of the time so that it covers it up, then put what is hanging down in a bun or braid it. That is what works for me right now.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlight63 View Post
    From the looks of your picture your hair doesn't look thin at all. It looks normal to me. I think that you have beautiful hair!
    I have had the "hair cleavage" issue all of my life also. I think that as someone else said that it is easier to cover it up as your hair gets longer. I wear it in a half up a lot of the time so that it covers it up, then put what is hanging down in a bun or braid it. That is what works for me right now.
    Yes I totally agree that a half up does an amazing job at hiding hair cleavage!

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I have very fine, thin hair. My hair looks fuller in my pictures(such as my avatar).
    I do have a natural wave which helps some. I've been trying to go longer without wetting my hair down, which I do every day.
    This Sunday I sprayed my dry hair with a(home-made) hair mist and put it into a french twist for church. I didn't check all the sides/angles Like I always do(in such a hurry,just threw it up.), and when I got home after two hours I realized I had hair cleavage on my left side from the way the twist was pulled!!!!
    So anyone sitting on the left side of me could see this wonderful show of scalp!! right side looked good, though.
    I told my husband why didn't you tell me? I don't know-he says.
    With my fine hair I'm always checking for cleavage, and usually have to wet it down every day.

I think your hair looks very nice, BTW
    Last edited by Babyfine; March 1st, 2011 at 08:30 AM.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Quote Originally Posted by AgnesONutter View Post
    Well...let's look at this argument logically, shall we?

How much does one strand weigh? My kitchen scale will not register it. And when I hold my tailbone length hair in my hand, I would say it weighs no more than a kilo if even that much (again, hard to weigh it). We'll say a kilo. This kilo is distributed evenly across how many thousand strands, each anchored to your scalp? I think we can safely assume that what pressure there is on the roots is really so small that we can ignore it.

As for you feeling your hair grows thinner when it grows longer, this is not entirely true. When hair grows, it grows at different speeds. New hair grows in, old hair sheds. Most of the hair that sheds will be long strands, of the very reason that they are older. This is why when we braid our hair the thickest part is close to the scalp, and then it thins as we go. There's simply not as many strands of the longest sort as there is of the short. This does not mean your hair thins as it grows longer. The amount of hair strands will still be the same, even if the illusion will be of thinner hair because your hemline is thinner, due to not all strands having grown that long (yet).

So, don't worry about having long hair if you want it. It will not make a difference in the actual thickness of your hair (unless you catch it under things all the time).
    I'm following you, but I think the stylist implication was that you would lose more hair and your hair would thin in the scalp area as opposed to the thinning that happens as you grow your hair out longer. In other words, the weight of longer hair tends to make you lose your hair rather than the lighter weight of shorter hair which wouldn't make you lose your hair. It also makes a thinning area more obvious because it is heavier and sort of flattens out your hair more at the top. This is the general gist I think of what he was saying, which is why he wanted to "lighten up" my hair with layers and a shorter length cut. That somehow by lightening up the weight of the hair the thinning would be helped and better concealed. Now I am not a stylist or a hair expert by any means so I can't say whether there is any validity to this or not, but he isn't the first stylist that I have heard this from. Most of the stylists (if not all) that I have seen in my life always tell me to keep it no longer than shoulder length and to put in layers. After a while you have to start wondering right?

Quote Originally Posted by Babyfine View Post
    I have very fine, thin hair. My hair looks fuller in my pictures(such as my avatar).
    I do have a natural wave which helps some. I've been trying to go longer without wetting my hair down, which I do every day.
    This Sunday I sprayed my dry hair with a(home-made) hair mist and put it into a french twist for church. I didn't check all the sides/angles Like I always do(in such a hurry,just threw it up.), and when I got home after two hours I realized I had hair cleavage on my left side from the way the twist was pulled!!!!
    So anyone sitting on the left side of me could see this wonderful show of scalp!! right side looked good, though.
    I told my husband why didn't you tell me? I don't know-he says.
    With my fine hair I'm always checking for cleavage, and usually have to wet it down every day.

I think your hair looks very nice, BTW
    That made me smile, that has happened to me too! Every time I do an updo I have to look at it from every angle in the mirror to make sure all of my hair cleavage is conservatively covered up

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I've got this weird thing where my part at my crown really shows in a lot of my photos from the back. Once a boy told me I had a bald spot because of it.

Also, recently, when I tried out Feye's self-trim method, I noticed that the right side of my head has a thinner ponytail than my left. I think it's fairly natural for there to be variation in thickness around peoples' heads. So don't worry about it.

Length
    4/Tailb/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I have issues with my hair and over the years I have realized that what stylists think works does NOT! I have a major cowlick in the front of my hair. many times a stylist has cut shorter telling me it would helpcontrol it-nope doesnt work, it needs the weight of hair to pull it into line! Same thing with a cowlick at the back of my head! I find hairdressers will tell you what htye believe and face it quite often its an industry that wants to make people beleive that hair products are essential for healthy hair. Long or short hair will not prevent or stop thinning I have a balding hubby who can say it doesnt matter what you do, if it wants to leave it will!

Length
    15/28/29
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeDM View Post
    That is pretty interesting that you can control the hair cleavage more when it is long. In my case, I feel that the longer it gets the more pronounced the thinning, but this could all be in my head. I've heard it so many times from people, the longer your hair the more it thins and the heavier the hairs are which puts more pressure on the roots. Of course I don't really know if this is true at all, but I do wonder??
    Yes, I have heard that and wondered about it too. But what AgnesONutter says seems reasonable, and because it's fine, the weight of my hair even when a lot longer than now has never seemed to be be significant, though of course YMMV. My hair is super fine in places, and unless pulled down a bit, whether by an updo or a halfup, or even just by having a bit more length, it just springs out of my head leaving scalp on display at the front and around my parting. So the longer length works better and makes me feel happier about my appearance. (I should say that I almost never wear my hair completely loose.) In the end you go with what makes you feel comfortable, though I'll admit it has taken me years to make peace with my hair!

I do still do the obsessive checking from all angles. And Yozhik, I have the smaller ponytail on one side than the other thing as well!
    shoulder ~ apl ~ bsl ~ waist ~ ???
    Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea! How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!Revd Sydney Smith

Length
    bald/44/50in
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

My hair has thinned out over the years, I have been told the same, keep your hair layered and shorter so the weight of your hair won't flatten on top.....I haven't noticed any more thinning then when my hair was shorter, it is near tailbone now and hardly weighs a thing, I don't feel any pressure on my roots when its down lol and I'm pretty sure that my head can support even more length with out falling out cause of weight hehehe!
    If your hair is normally thin in front, meaning it's always been that way, then don't pay no mind to what this person said, really he should have known better to just jump to conclusions when it was your first time with him and he didn't know your hair

It's so hard to get my hair to lay straight

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

can somebody please explain me what is "hair cleavage"?
    Is it the parting?
    Thanks