Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Alternative to henna?

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

Question An Alternative to henna?

I have been growing out my henna for about two years now and I am happy to say it's almost gone.
    I LOVED my henna red hair and happily hennaed for about ten years. I am now about 20% gray and made the decision to let my hair grow in natural which I am very happy with.
    What I do miss is what henna did for my hair. Made it super shiny and strong, my hair held a curl for days and had virtually no frizz.

I really want those things back!!!
    Are there any alternatives that might be what I'm looking for?
    I don't want to use cassia as I have a very ashy color naturally and don't want any warm tones. I've read about ziziphus but know virtually nothing about it.

Any suggestions from our hair gurus?

Type
    1c/F/i

Default Re: An Alternative to henna?

Well, I have been researching on my own a little and am none the wiser.

I have been doing heavier than normal oilings and not letting my length get wet at all when washing so we will see if that makes a difference.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Have you looked into cassia (or even henna) before the dye is released? Maybe after the dye has demised?
    I don't know if the same benefits are there without the stain, but someone else here might.
    Also, I think there are packaged products, "henna and placenta" that have some benefits of henna without the stain?

I don't really know, just brainstorming with you!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    waist/TBL/??

Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    Have you looked into cassia (or even henna) before the dye is released? Maybe after the dye has demised?
    I don't know if the same benefits are there without the stain, but someone else here might.
    Also, I think there are packaged products, "henna and placenta" that have some benefits of henna without the stain?

I don't really know, just brainstorming with you!
    We sell henna at my old work and besides different shades of red / brown there was a neutral (no color) option. People used for the exact reasons you mentioned breezefaerie.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'd suggest that you look at zizyphus, but I don't know any more about it than that it's billed as having henna-like effects without any color.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Andeee View Post
    We sell henna at my old work and besides different shades of red / brown there was a neutral (no color) option. People used for the exact reasons you mentioned breezefaerie.
    That would be cassia, which the OP mentioned in her first post
    (Cassia is often called "neutral henna", though it's an entirely different plant.)

Length
    waist/TBL/??

Quote Originally Posted by Rosetta View Post
    That would be cassia, which the OP mentioned in her first post
    (Cassia is often called "neutral henna", though it's an entirely different plant.)
    OK, I didn't realize that.

Type
    1c/F/i

Thanks everyone

I have thought about trying cassia before any dye is released, to avoid any warm/gold tones in my hair. I suppose I had better start collecting shed hair for a strand test.

From what I have read about the ziziphus it seems to be more for cleansing than conditioning. It definitely won't change the color though so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try!

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by breezefaerie View Post
    Thanks everyone

I have thought about trying cassia before any dye is released, to avoid any warm/gold tones in my hair. I suppose I had better start collecting shed hair for a strand test.

From what I have read about the ziziphus it seems to be more for cleansing than conditioning. It definitely won't change the color though so it wouldn't hurt to give it a try!
    If you don't wait for dye release there's a very good chance it won't give you any color. Some people who actually want golden tones from cassia aren't able to get it even after leaving it on for hours.
    Just for conditioning, around 30 minutes is fine. I have blonde hair (at least the first 8" is, I'm also growing out henna) and 30 minutes of cassia makes no difference to my color. I leave it on for 3 or 4 hours for warmer tones.
    You should give it a try. Remember all the effects, both conditioning and color wash out pretty fast (on me, a couple of weeks, I wash every 3 days) so if by chance it did give you unwanted gold, it wouldn't last long!

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Have you thought of catnip, or is that too warm for you?
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins