Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being super fine will I be able to grow long pretty hair?

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Being super fine will I be able to grow long pretty hair?

It might sound like a weird question...but let me explain. I have thin, fine hair. The type of hair you can see through. I do nothing to damage it: no dye, straightening, blow drying, nothing. Though I have abused the heck out of it in the past I take very good care of it now and haven't abused it in quite a few years. I have always wanted waist length hair. My sister has waist length and all my other sisters have nice hair, just a little thicker than mine. My mother has VERRRY fine hair.

In my attempts to grow it waist I condition every day, wash every 2-3days and I would call my hair normal to dry. I S&D frequently and self trim maybe every 6 months. I do get split ends but nothing really bad that would call for a major cut.

I have not had hair much longer than my current length as it gets so hard to control and since its so fine it knots up so fast I have to comb through every few hours or else it looks a mess. (Just have to mention, I use nothing but a wide tooth comb while wet AND dry.)

Since it is so fine and prone to knotting do you think I am stuck at this length? I know the longer it gets the more thin it will look. It is very hard to maintain any kind of thickness as I grow since I don't have much of it to begin with! I have had stylists tell me layers will help and keep it shoulder length but I don't like it that way. I am very low maintenance, do not want to style my hair everyday and like a blunt hemline.

Also, from the pictures does it LOOK fine and thin or is it just me?

Any tips on how to keep thicker ends as I grow out? I am on prenatal vitamins since I am 3.5 months PP.

This is when I first cut my hair in May of 2011:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...ffb/June24.jpg

This is April 2012:
    (no major cuts, all s&d and a few small self trims)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...fb/4-18-12.jpg
    Last edited by ZeppHead; May 12th, 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: pictures

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Being super fine will I be able to grow long pretty hair?

I cant' see your pictures, but you can grow fine hair long.

I have very different hair from you, but I do several things to avoid knots and breakage. I avoid messing with my hair much at all when wet because wet hair is more fragile and prone to breakage. I keep my hair up at night and during the day as much as possible to protect the ends and prevent tangles. I've also found oils to help me tremendously in preventing tangles. You may want to experiment with different leave-ins to prevent knotting.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    20/27/36
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Absolutely you can grow very fine hair long! And it'll look so pretty when you do! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. With very fine hair you will face some challenges, but it can be done. It sounds to me like you've already got a good handle on what you need to do to keep it healthy, so all that remains is to be patient and get into some cute updos.

Length
    Chin/SL/CL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

It can definitely be done! There are lots of fine haired LHCers with amazing lengths. It will just take care and updos to protect it from tangles and damage, which I sounds like you have a good handle on, and time to grow!
    Lady Laur of the Dancing Veil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    CHIN - SL - APL - BSL - WAIST - HIP - TBL - CLASSIC

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

My hair is fine & thick. But I still use seasoned chopped onion in my shampoo. It makes your hair thicker. Add 1 0r 2 capfuls to your shampoo. Your hair will feel thicker. I hope it helps.

Length
    Chin/SL/CL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Also, check out the fine/thin hair thread in this forum for lots of other fine haired LHC folks!
    Lady Laur of the Dancing Veil in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    CHIN - SL - APL - BSL - WAIST - HIP - TBL - CLASSIC

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The only advice I can offer is that you might want to put your hair up during the day instead of combing through it every few hours. I find that the less I mess with mine, the better its condition. Putting it up very carefully protects it from mechanical damage, keeps it out of your way, and prevents tangling.

P.S. - the links you put in offer no pictures. I get a message saying they've been moved or deleted.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by catamonica View Post
    My hair is fine & thick. But I still use seasoned chopped onion in my shampoo. It makes your hair thicker. Add 1 0r 2 capfuls to your shampoo. Your hair will feel thicker. I hope it helps.
    I wonder how this works? Has it increased your ponytail at all? Very intresting and glad you found something that works!
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Type
    1c/F/ii

Can't see the picture, but as a fine-haired person I have to say yes you can definitely grow your hair longer than it is now! I started LHC at 22 inches in December. I had never paid much attention to the length of my hair because I always seemed to have APL or shorter hair. Once I hit BSL, I noticed it began knotting up like crazy. In order to control the knots, I ended up using a coney serum (careful since cone build up can give the illusion of dry ends, requires clarifying). The serum gives my hair plenty of slip. While it can still be unruly, this is just a necessary evil of getting through the BSL stage. I'm told once it hits about waist it tames down a little

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

As has been suggested already, I'd start wearing it up. There's nothing worse you can do than keep messing with it constantly, throughout the day.

And certainly yes, you can grow fine hair long. Check out the fine, thin hair thread!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)