Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Multi-racial With Multi-textured Hair Thread

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Default Re: The Official Multi-racial With Multi-textured Hair Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Copasetic View Post
    I'm glad you made this thread I am black, First Nations, and French. My hair is definitely full of different textures and curl patterns. Some parts, especially near my next are quite loose, others are tightly curled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kina View Post
    I'm mixed as well, African / Spanish / Taino

My hair has at the nape tight spiral curls, not buckshot, but not far off either, the crown is probably 1c and the layers in between 2a-2c.

Biggest problem I have with hair is the incessant tangling. I can comb my hair and completely detangle it, starting section by section, but by the time I'm done, the first section is tangled.

I have yet to find any way whatsoever to keep it from tangling. sigh.

Most people guess my ethnicity as North African, which except for the Taino bit, makes sense.
    I have the same problem with "incessant tangling" especially with the really coarse areas of my hair. Have you tried the tangle teezer? It works really well on my difficult areas. I have to admit the sound it makes sounds bad, but I don't feel like it is eating my hair because of its multi layered lengths of teeth.

I also find it interesting what people think my ethnicity is. sigh, but I guess that's what makes being multi-racial nice. I just don't like the idea of being attached to multiple stereo types. Le sigh!

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Copasetic, I'm so glad you are on here. I love your textures on your avatar. How do you care for your hair or what works best for you?

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagecoilylocks View Post
    Irish. Scotish, Native American, African american here.

For years I was stuck in trying to find the right product for my entire head. I realized after a huge 5 year shed that I had such a combination of textures. The shed let them emerge in distinctive parts of my head. So I began to try and make a one product to suit all. Did not happen. I had to except that I needed several products and routines for the different types. I have just finalized the three different regimines and product applications. It seems to be working. But who knows now that the shedding has stopped I may end up with a greater blend again and have to start from scratch.

My types are in my signature. I took this photo last year. You can clearly see how the change goes from the nape to the crown. The crown was an enemy to the lower hairs because they coiled and curled around the others causing massive tangles. It was dryer and the nape is cottony, wispy and soft.

My nape was always just gone due to knotting. My crown is slow growing and broke off. A few years ago I just told them since you can not get along then you will be separated and have worn it like that ever since. The nape grew longer then I have ever had. Now I have finally came up with the products to tend to each. So tangles are at bay and hopefully it will be able to grow with little stress and damage. We shall see.

OMG! Your tips are so useful to me! Thanks a million! I know now to "accept having to use multiple products" to work for my hair. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous along with all the people in this thread. So far I've been using a combination of coconut oil, and olive oil for my ends. On really humid days I would add some biosilk serum to the coarsest parts of my hair since they are so fragile to breakage. Shampoo products I like that are working for me is:

Tresseme soft and breakage control ( both shampoos and conditioners)
    Mane N' Tail
    Biosilk
    coconut oil
    EVOO

Hair utensils that work for me:
    Hair claws
    little black barrets
    Tangle tezer for after detangling with a wooden comb, and before I use my wooden comb I finger comb my hair everywhere.

Im multi-racial too. Father's got afro and mother's got fine blonde european hair. I got the black colour but very straight hair.
    As the saying goes, it pays to be patient!

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbrumby View Post
    Following this tread with interest. My soon to be 13 year old son has hair which drives me nuts. His father is french/islander and my sons is.becoming as thick and wiry as his and he wants to keep it long.
    Follow along. I hope you can learn a lot from this thread, just like i'm learning as well. You'll definitely be able to give good advice to your son. Good Luck!

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by MissHair View Post
    Im multi-racial too. Father's got afro and mother's got fine blonde european hair. I got the black colour but very straight hair.
    Interesting combination of nationalities, and to inherit the recessive genes of straight hair, wow. What works best for your hair care?

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Cherokee, Scottish, Black. My hair at the crown is finger-width wavy. At the nape and sides, silky straight. Oil and henna flatten my hair. Humidity, SMT and Nexxus products give me a wilted Afro.

People ask if I am Filipino, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Italian, Greek, from the Seychelles, Creole, from India, First Nations or just tan.

I love my hair though -- it's like sculpture.

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Sister13 View Post
    Cherokee, Scottish, Black. My hair at the crown is finger-width wavy. At the nape and sides, silky straight. Oil and henna flatten my hair. Humidity, SMT and Nexxus products give me a wilted Afro.

People ask if I am Filipino, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Italian, Greek, from the Seychelles, Creole, from India, First Nations or just tan.

I love my hair though -- it's like sculpture.
    I'll definitely stay away from Nexxus products. I have to agree with you about your hair like "sculpture," in a way I have so many hairs that are pliable and I can style it easily. However, I find that the maintenance of having multi-textured hair difficult because I have to use multiple products that work for each area around my head. I have to take really good care of the coarsest areas because they are more susceptible to breakage rather than underneath nape of my crown where it is straight. Oils definitely flatten my hair, except coconut oil which make it super curly on my coarsest areas.

Length
    ????/35.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I find it so interesting that the different textures need different products, even though it feels very much like "d'oh! why didn't I think of that!?"

And the imagery of the different textures fighting with each other makes such perfect sense to me!

I'm also interested in the fact that the textures are reversed, my nape hair is the tightest, curliest, and for y'all it's the straightest.

Genetics are amazing.

this is a picture of my nape hair behaving very nicely for a change: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4917084&type=3

and this is a good shot of the canopy: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Last edited by Kina; February 20th, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: pics didn't show
    'And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair' Khalil Gibran.
    ⌣⌢ (ˆ◡ˆ) ⌢⌣

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by Kina View Post
    I find it so interesting that the different textures need different products, even though it feels very much like "d'oh! why didn't I think of that!?"

And the imagery of the different textures fighting with each other makes such perfect sense to me!

I'm also interested in the fact that the textures are reversed, my nape hair is the tightest, curliest, and for y'all it's the straightest.

Genetics are amazing.

this is a picture of my nape hair behaving very nicely for a change: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4917084&type=3

and this is a good shot of the canopy: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Oooh girl I like your metaphor "of the different textures fighting with each other." You have hair that I envy. I've always been fascinated at how genetics really surprises me. Here's more exhibits for you all!

Exhibit B Degree of Hair textures when wet:

Exhibit C Air dried after being clarified
    Notice the degree of kinky coarse hairs to waves, hard to see the straight hairs, and yes whenever I clarify, I get dry flakes. I did not put my EVOO and Coconut oil combinations because I wanted to capture the natural state of all my textures for you all.

Exhibit D Hair half up to show more degrees of my multi hair textures

This thread has been such a joy. It makes me realize that all of us in this thread transcend the notion of hair typing because we have them all in each of our individual heads, from kinky to straight. I've finally accepted that there will never be a universal product for my hair (except Tangle Teezer which claims to be universally for all hairtypes), and that I just need to continue to use multiple products that work for different parts or areas of my head.