Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - How to make my own hair shampoo/conditioner bar, without lye ?

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default - How to make my own hair shampoo/conditioner bar, without lye ?

- Hi,
    So I skipped a bunch of lard and butters and margarines and I didn't know what to do with them, then it hit me, I could make soap.
    I don't want to make Soap but I am open to make schampoo bars, but my hair hates schampoo, so is there such a thing like conditioner bar ?
    I CO and my hair Loves it, turns into a birds nest with schampoo.

I quickly read online and it said you need lye but I don't want to use any and I only want to use products I feel safe with, like a bunch of oils that I have such as coconut oil, jojoba, mineral, etc.
    And some nice smelly things!

Is this possible ?

I've never made anything like this before, closest I have gotten is making my own conditioner, but I have never done a bar with lard . . but I do want to use up the lard . .

My idea (off the top of my head) is to heat up the lard, melt it, add oils, essential smelly ones too, maybe a bit of lemon, maybe some honey . . then putting it in a mold .

Then trying it out after a day, in the shower . o.o

Let me know what You think !!
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: - How to make my own hair schampoo/conditioner bar, without lye ?

Making home made soap is all basically the same deal.
    The only thing that makes shampoo bars different from normal bars from what I understand, is that you just use different oils that are more moisturizing. My mom and I made some a few months ago..we used oils like Sweet almond oil, castor oil, coconut oil, shea butter...
    My mom has been making soap for 16 years so I have a little knowledge I have picked up on.

You need to use lye though to make soap (or shampoo bars) plain and simple...

I am only curious..why the aversion to lye? After the soap is cured it is not caustic or harmful. The lye is part of the whole soap making action. Without it you wont have soap.

I think a bunch of oils melted together would hardly stay solid...it would just turn into a big soppy globby melty mess once you started using it. Especially if left in the shower. I guess you could do this and put all your oils together into a bottle but I would not call that soap or conditioner. If it solidified just soak the bottle in hot water for a few.It would just be your own little mix of oils and EOs. Using it like a conditioner would be just like using any normal oil and may be hard to rinse out.
    Taking an LHC break.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akilina View Post
    Making home made soap is all basically the same deal.
    The only thing that makes shampoo bars different from normal bars from what I understand, is that you just use different oils that are more moisturizing. My mom and I made some a few months ago..we used oils like Sweet almond oil, castor oil, coconut oil, shea butter...
    My mom has been making soap for 16 years so I have a little knowledge I have picked up on.
    A quick correction. There are shampoo bars that are made like soap and there are shampoo bars made with the same ingredients as liquid shampoo but no water. The latter are often referred to as "solid shampoo" or "solid conditioner".

To comment on the OP's question: to make a shampoo bar you need some kind of cleanser. This forms during the saponification process (the process in which the acids in the oils and the alkali in the lye react to each other) in a soap-type shampoo bar or is one of the ingredients in a solid shampoo type bar.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    A quick correction. There are shampoo bars that are made like soap and there are shampoo bars made with the same ingredients as liquid shampoo but no water. The latter are often referred to as "solid shampoo" or "solid conditioner".

To comment on the OP's question: to make a shampoo bar you need some kind of cleanser. This forms during the saponification process (the process in which the acids in the oils and the alkali in the lye react to each other) in a soap-type shampoo bar or is one of the ingredients in a solid shampoo type bar.
    Hmm thanks for clearing that one up. See, I did say "from what I understand" I am not a diehard soap maker or anything so There are some things I don't know/and are not sure of. So the other soaps you are talking about...are they made like normal soap would be made (and they solidify?) but they are made without using any water?
    I am intrigued now. What kinds of ingredients are included in making "solid shampoo/or conditioner" ??

Is that right, at least, that the only difference in making shampoo bars from soap (In the typical oil+lye fashion) is using more luscious/moisturizing oils? (Im talking aside from the different form of soap you mentioned)

Edit: on another thought, I guess I did assume that there were no "conditioner bars" just very moisturizing shampoo like soap bars. Do conditioner bars offer any sort of cleansing whatsoever?
    Lol...sorry for the hijack, I am too intrigued now, and apparently my reading comprehension sucks.
    Last edited by akilina; December 12th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Taking an LHC break.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Hmm thanks for clearing that one up. See, I did say "from what I understand" I am not a diehard soap maker or anything so There are some things I don't know/and are not sure of. So the other soaps you are talking about...are they made like normal soap would be made (and they solidify?) but they are made without using any water?
    I am intrigued now. What kinds of ingredients are included in making "solid shampoo/or conditioner" ??

Is that right, at least, that the only difference in making shampoo bars from soap (In the typical oil+lye fashion) is using more luscious/moisturizing oils? (Im talking aside from the different form of soap you mentioned)

Edit: on another thought, I guess I did assume that there were no "conditioner bars" just very moisturizing shampoo like soap bars. Do conditioner bars offer any sort of cleansing whatsoever?
    Lol...sorry for the hijack, I am too intrigued now, and apparently my reading comprehension sucks.
    You are correct about the saponified shampoo bars. They are made the same as soap but use oils that are more hair friendly.

As far as the solid shampoo and conditioners, they are made with ingredients that can melt and solidify as they cool. Conditioner bars can be cleansing, depending on the ingredients. Certain conditioning/detangling ingredients like BTMS are also mild surfactants so they cleanse while they condition.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Cool, thanks for clearing all that up
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

What kinds of ingredients are included in making "solid shampoo/or conditioner" ??
    For syndet types which are soap free, you use bout 50% powdered surfacants like SCI flakes, 25% liquid surfacants, a hardener like stearic acid, a little emusifier....

Hit send too soon, LOL

And for conditioner bars, it's mostly BTMS with some cetyl alcohol, oil and butters (other stuff too of course, but I can't remember off the top if my head).
    Last edited by Sillage; December 12th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

akalina: thank you !
    I can't afford to buy lye and I'd rather use household stuff, or things I find, like the lard !

in2wishin: aha solid conditioner, that's what I want to make ! Didnt know the name for it . . I dont like schampoos but I wanted a conditioning kind of bar, to make . . without lye. Possibility ?
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadMistress View Post
    akalina: thank you !

in2wishin: aha solid conditioner, that's what I want to make ! Didnt know the name for it . . I dont like schampoos but I wanted a conditioning kind of bar, to make . . without lye. Possibility ?
    Sure. You're going to have to buy a lot of other stuff tho.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.co...ar-recipe.html
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Wow, now I am really cleared up on all of this, so either way, if OP were to make the other form of conditioner bar she would still have to buy extra stuff. Nothing would work from just melting oils together and putting them into a mold, correct?
    I just want at least that part cleared up so I don't sound like a complete arse
    Taking an LHC break.