Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brush vs Comb: I don't get it

~luvs faerie tale endings SilvraShadows's Avatar
    Length
    shldr/wst/hps
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Brush vs Comb: I don't get it

With hair such as yours, we should be asking *you* for advice... you clearly are doing the right thing!

BBB can and do skim the surface unless you find a higher quality one. Those that skim the surface caused more damage than good for me. So I saved my pennies and bought a Mason Pearson (back when I first joined the LHC because of all the hoopla over those brushes)... but not once have I regretted it. It is gentle and reaches the scalp. I brush my scalp, skip the middle section, and then brush my ends. My hair is very, very fine so I have to brush very, very gently.

Just about the only wooden combs I will ever use are the ones I got from ArtisTree. His combs are the most buttery smooth wooden combs and slip through my strands wonderfully. Then there are the Sierra Legacy combs... second runner up in my book, nice combs but not near as smooth from what I have heard... but mine are old and smooth. I just prefer wood over plastic.

As far as the 100 strokes a day... after seeing your tresses, I think I shall go back to 100 strokes a day!
    ~ elvea rose ~

...whimsical wisps

I tried a wide-toothed wooden comb, only to discover it's not good for detangling for me -- I end up with tangles slipping right between the teeth! I should put it up on the swap board or something. I've got a couple of medium plastic ones that I've had for ages that work much better, though I need some kind of brush or fine-toothed comb to style my scalp hair sometimes.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I think brushes are only considered "evil" if you've got quite curly hair as they can ruin the curl pattern.
    I use both combs and brushes as they're useful for different things. I use my wooden comb for detangling or my tangle teezer. I use my wooden quill brush to brush my hair smooth and sort out minor tangles, and I use my mason pearson to get it super smooth and shiney and help distribute oil if necessary. Though I certainly never use my MP BBB on wet or tangled hair, and the wooden quill brush I only use on practically non existent tangles and dry or nearly dry hair, never wet.

The only brushes I consider evil are those will knobbly little balls on the ends of the bristles. They always seem to rip my hair out and cause lots of breakage and static. Nasty nasty nasty.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Combs on dry hair are hell for me. I need a brush, with flexible bristles. Even though I start working from the ends, more minor tangles form as I go. A brush can bend out and skim them. A comb slams into them, tightens them, and breaks hair.

I say NO to combs (on dry hair)!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Maybe it comes down to individual technique. I have a much easier time working tangles free with a comb. With a brush, I hear too much POP! and know that I just broke another hair or 3.

Length
    22"/35"/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotica View Post
    I don't get it either, that is why I now own three combs and a much doted MP brush and I use all of them daily.
    I too was skeptical. I have since seen the light.

Detangle with a huge wide-toothed comb (wood for dry, plastic for wet) starting at the tips, slowly, ending at the scalp.

Buy a Mason Pearson BBB brush and you will thank me. People with thick hair usually need a nylon tuft in the boar bristles to reach the scalp.

Do the above and you should see a huge difference in your hair.

Type
    2a/M/iii

Thanks, guys. I feel better now - my hair's not curly, and I think it's better off brushed. I'll look into those Mason Pearson brushes, they sound good.
    Bellebot, why are brushes with balls on the ends worse than other brushes? Do the balls catch on the hair? Does that mean that my old brush whose knobs had all fallen off was better than my newer brush?

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Brushes with ball ends are not bad - IF they are of the highest quality. I use a Denman balled bristle vented brush, and I adore it. It cost me $15 US, though, so it is not cheap (like the typical Goody). The balls on the tips are molded at the same time as the rest of the brush, so they do not break off or catch in the hair.

Broad sweeping generalizations about any tool used for hair care are just that - generalizations. In my experience the most important thing is to always use the highest quality you can afford. And do what works best for you.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Length
    fried/WL35/48-tm
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heidihug View Post
    Brushes with ball ends are not bad - IF they are of the highest quality.
    I agree. I've used a paddle brush all my life with the little nubbies and had incredible hair when I was in my teens (before dyeing and straightening). I just recently bought a brush and found less damage from the hair whipping around and snapping through tangles, but the wear and tear damage isn't much different. However, my mom would bring me to Sally's and search high and low for a good brush--she's always known how important my hair is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by heidihug View Post
    Broad sweeping generalizations about any tool used for hair care are just that - generalizations. In my experience the most important thing is to always use the highest quality you can afford. And do what works best for you.
    I'd just like to add that technique matters a great amount, too. I think ripping a high quality brush/comb through your hair is worse than being gentle with a low quality one.

But of course, whatever your hair likes/works best for you is key. That's what matters, right? What makes YOUR hair better? Experiment! That's what I love about LHC!!
    Any time is a good time for coffee time!
    ++++++.++++++.++++++

Length
    24"/30"/45"
    Type
    1b/F/i

I think the reason brushes get a bad reputation is because many members of the Non-LHC general public tend to RIP brushes violently through their hair. With the way brushes are weighted and the long handle, it's a lot easier to do that kind of ripping strokes from top to bottom, breaking off hairs to remove tangles rather than working them out.

I think if you use an appropriately constructed brush and handle your hair gently, there is no problem. But the comment of "it takes too long" stands out. I think with hair as lovely as yours, it's definitely worth taking as long as needed to treat it preciously!

ETA: I don't use the standard "wide tooth comb". I agree it also does absolutely nothing for me. I use a fine tooth comb, made of Tibetan yak horn. I really love it, it's very strong and I even used it IN the shower with no negative effect.