Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lush Caca Henna: how much do I need?

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Question Lush Caca Henna: how much do I need?

Hi y'all

I know not many here use Lush Caca to henna, but I'm intrigued and would like to try it out - especially as my main interest in hennaing is the conditioning properties, not the colour. The ingredients they add in there sound appealing.

I am wondering whether the required quantity is the same as regular henna - or do I need more due to the presence of butters &c?
    I usually use a little over 300g of henna on my mid-bum length hair - would a 325g block therefore be ideal, or do I need more?

I'm asking because I was browsing the US Lush forum yesterday (their "happy Caca Heads" thread) and realized that most participants had shoulder-length hair, yet used half a block to henna.

Thanks
    Last edited by Isa-belle; February 6th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Lush Caca Henna: how much do I need?

I used lush and I think a whole block should be good for your hair. I would only use 1/4-1/2 a block for my BSL hair. Personally Lush gives nice color but little to no conditioning for my hair. I only noticed conditioning from henna when I used the powdered regular henna. Not to mention the Lush smells really badly compared to regular henna and it's ALOT of work to get it mixable.

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hi! I used Lush Cacas Henna for a couple of years. I also wasn't too worried about the henna color stain and used it for conditioning and the very slight sheen I would get. My hair is too dark for much else to happen with henna.

I used two squares from the bar every time I henna'd with it. My hair soaked it up but you might not need two full blocks.

If you have a blender just drop the blocks in there and give them a whirl until they are nice and finely powdered. (LHC tip that was insanely helpful!)

Then mix the powered stuff with your liquid of choice and it's done. Not difficult or messier than regular henna at all. (I've used regular henna as well, for hair and for bodyart.)

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks so much for the advice EvaSimone and Gabriel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Hi! I used Lush Cacas Henna for a couple of years. I also wasn't too worried about the henna color stain and used it for conditioning and the very slight sheen I would get. My hair is too dark for much else to happen with henna.
    That's exactly what I'm after, too.

The blender sounds like a great idea.
    How did you find the Caca compared to regular henna, Gabriel?

EvaSimone, it must have been disappointing to find the Caca gave you so little conditioning. I thought that was the whole point of having so many ingredients in it. Thanks for the warning about the smell. I'll definitely be sniffing it in the local Lush shop before I decide whether to get some!

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Lush stuff really doesn't compare to regular henna ( I find, personally) unless you add a lot of additives to your regular henna. There's definitely a "heaviness" to the Lush stuff when it is finally rinsed from your hair as oppossed to how henna seems to rinse "cleaner". If that makes sense. I mean, there's an obvious feel of something like a deep conditioning treatment feel to it.

That said, it is more difficult to rinse out with all the additives in it but nothing too crazy. I like it better a wash or two later even more.

The colors aren't spectacular for me either way because my starting color is so dark so colorwise I really can't say. Well, actually my hands get stained more from regular henna than the Lush hennas.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I used to use 3 blocks for my APL hair, so I'd say 1 block would be sufficient for your hair. I liked the color, as it built up over time and gave me reddish tints before the red completely took over my hair
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I used it for several years (caca marron and caca rouge), I used to use 2 squares out of a 6 square brick for my waist-length hair but my hair is very fine. Because of the cocoa butter and other stuff in it, I found it much more difficult to wash out, and you won't need to have it sit for more than an hour (keep it warm the whole time or the butters will start to solidify), to achieve dye release. It doesn't give a very dark stain, but it is very predictable. I now prefer BAQ, yemeni henna.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks everyone for the helfpul feedback. That's all very interesting to read.

Quote Originally Posted by amaiaisabella View Post
    I used to use 3 blocks for my APL hair, so I'd say 1 block would be sufficient for your hair. I liked the color, as it built up over time and gave me reddish tints before the red completely took over my hair
    There must be some misundestanding here. My hair is a little past tailbone length. It seems you're suggesting I use a third of what you use at APL? Or did block mean "square" the first time (it seems there are 6 squares in a Caca block), and 6-square block the second time?

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Isa-belle View Post
    Thanks everyone for the helfpul feedback. That's all very interesting to read.

There must be some misundestanding here. My hair is a little past tailbone length. It seems you're suggesting I use a third of what you use at APL? Or did block mean "square" the first time (it seems there are 6 squares in a Caca block), and 6-square block the second time?
    Aha! Yes, I meant one whole... square thing
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    Chin/40"/43
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thank you for clarifying! That makes more sense. Yes, this whole blocks/squares system is confusing