Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I was a difficult customer today

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: I think I was a difficult customer today

Quote Originally Posted by hyettf16 View Post
    I wonder if hair dresseres see a pretty girl with long hair walk in and screw up your hair because they are jealous.
    I highly doubt it. I think many hairdressers actually find long hair to be fairly boring, I don't think the majority are envious of it. And they have "pretty girls" as clients daily, so that's nothing new.

A stylist who is professional will not mind any request you make with your hair and will accommodate you accordingly. It's never inappropriate to stop a stylist and ask them to do something differently if it fits your needs. Most would prefer you did instead of sitting and suffering in silence.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by littlenvy View Post
    Very high heat may to turn henna hair much darker.

Alvrodul, I think you did just fine. Not many hair stylists are used to such long hair, unless they are cutting it off.
    Somehow I doubt that oxidized henna would go really dark just by adding heat. I shower in very hot water and I have yet to see my henna going ultra dark from it?

Hm. Nightshade, you have done extensive research on henna - what is you input?
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Glad i am not the only one! and good for you, a brush indeed honestly!
    Tangle Teaser is a brush so......not all brushes are bad on wet hair. YMMV.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotica View Post
    Somehow I doubt that oxidized henna would go really dark just by adding heat. I shower in very hot water and I have yet to see my henna going ultra dark from it?

Hm. Nightshade, you have done extensive research on henna - what is you input?
    I don't think hot water hot will do it. While I've never experienced it first hand (as I don't use heat styling), I've seen some pretty credible pictures from people here and on other henna forums that curling irons or flat irons can cause darkening. I think it's tied in part to proteins and other things in the heat-protectant serums, but I've got nothing but conjecture on that one. I just remember someone doing a test where they did one bit with a flat iron and no protectant gel and there was a lot less darkening than with it.

Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I don't think hot water hot will do it. While I've never experienced it first hand (as I don't use heat styling), I've seen some pretty credible pictures from people here and on other henna forums that curling irons or flat irons can cause darkening. I think it's tied in part to proteins and other things in the heat-protectant serums, but I've got nothing but conjecture on that one. I just remember someone doing a test where they did one bit with a flat iron and no protectant gel and there was a lot less darkening than with it.
    Intresting - an area to research! I don't own a flat iron, otherwise I would totally investigate this.

But next question is - would a hair dryer really heat up the hair to the temperature a flat iron does?

Type
    1a/F/i

I love my stylist! But there would be a few things I would change: the heat styling. But she knows me pretty well now and will only trim a very little bit. Sometimes I wish she would take off more, but other than that, I'm happy. I like her because she listens, not a lot of stylists do that now adays and think they can treat everyones hair the same.
    My Little Roo~ "Sassy"~ AKA Sassafras, Sassaroo, Little Meese, Mimi, Leettlle, Keeeteeey, so cute, Mow Mow

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotica View Post
    Intresting - an area to research! I don't own a flat iron, otherwise I would totally investigate this.

But next question is - would a hair dryer really heat up the hair to the temperature a flat iron does?
    Uhm, if you're doing it right, no. But some people do belong to the Nuke It From Orbit school of hair care

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thank you for all the nice comments - and I am very pleased with my trim!
    Hypnotica, I don't know if the henna would have darkened on my hair if she had used heat on the blowfrier, but I had hennaed only 2 days ago, and I am of the "better safe than sorry" school. I love my present color, and would have been devastated if the heat had caused a significant darkening. And I also remember that when I did use a blowfrier after washing, I really did not like the way it looked and felt after it had been dried that way. Using the cold setting took longer, but gave me better results!
    CarpeDM, I hope that the next time you have a trim, you will take some inspiration from my story, and stand up for yourself. You are paying the stylist for her services, after all, and that means you have a right to expect a good result and good treatment at her hands. If you are unhappy with the results or your treatment, it really means you did not get what you paid for! I am sure the stylists here on LHC will agree! If it helps, you can rehearse certain requests beforehand. Personally, I was worried about what would happen when the stylist was going to detangle my hair, so I came prepared with my own comb and a polite but firm phrase. And as for not wanting to shampoo at the salon - if necessary you might claim allergies - a small white lie like that might be useful at times.
    And Hypnotica, I agree that not all brushes are bad - I also have a Tangle Teaser, and love it - but I was not going to let the stylist's hairbrush anywhere near my head!! Additionally, there was the way she was going about it. Starting from the top, indeed!

ETA: Nightshade: The Nuke It From Orbit school of haircare - I love that!
    Last edited by Alvrodul; June 24th, 2011 at 10:15 AM.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Good for you! Some of the worst hair stylist horror stories contain some version of the line "and the next thing I knew" and I always wonder "did you go to sleep or what?"

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Love this story!Luckily your stylist listened to you and your requests,I have very curly hair so need to have it cut dry,and when I used to go to the salon near me they've actually refused to cut my hair dry,insisting wet with a shampoo was the ONLY way they would cut it.They also detangle improperly and roughly and love the hot blowfryer and want to straighten my hair and always cut off way more than i want so it's a real hassle to argue with them as they have the I am the hairdresser and I know best attitude. Am sure not all salons are so stubborn but now I do everything at home as I'm tired of not having my requests honored and I don't have the energy to hunt down a salon that would be more accepting. If I could find a long hair forum friendly salon near me ,I'd definitely try again, but don't believe there is one.I live in Victoria B.C .Canada.If there is one please let me know,till then I'll continue to do everything at home.