Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Older Women Growing Hair Long

Length
    14"/19"/40"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Wink Older Women Growing Hair Long

My winter project last year was growing my hair. It sounded easy enough! I got it past my shoulders, and then it seemed so
    long, and I developed an inferiority complex....
    so not too long after I took this picture~

I cut about 1 1/2" off. I am 61, and i wear it up most of the time, just from habit, and also because of hot flashes.

During the summer, I let it grow and decided to stop bleaching.
    Then last week I cut some long layers and about an inch off of the length.
    I love my hair, it is fine, but thick, and I like to be able to wear it in a lot of styles, but I can't french braid.
    I would love to hear from other women over 40 who have long hair and can possible help me to stop cutting!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Older Women Growing Hair Long

I'm 64 1/2 and have had long hair for over 40 years. It's currently about 40 inches and a little over.

You can do so much with long hair! I adore it!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Well I will be 42 this year and used to do the exact same, get bored and cut and then regret it!

My advice is write a blog on here, start a photo album and when you "think" your too old, look up the photos of some of the many beautiful mature ladies on here.

Long hair isnt about age, its about expressing yourself and personal preferences, looking at your photo you are not the stereo typical 61 year old and look much younger, life is for living and if you want long hair then go for it; were a long time dead!

I get the odd comment, normally from younger women that enquire as to why I have long hair.......well I grew it normally shuts them up, but I get more compliments and I put bitchy remarks down to jealousy!

Go for it, if you don't like it you can always cut it off! Set yourself a goal of not cutting until you can get it in a pony tail without bobby clips, this is what I did. I honestly cannot ever see me having short hair again! you can do......throw the scissors away!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

I am in my mid-50s and I had long hair at 40, then again at 50 for a big family event and now am growing to anywhere between BSL and waist. Haven't decided yet. I can't wait to feel it down my back. I should be there sometime this summer where I feel it down my back. Just in time for summer tanks.

When I have long hair I love it! LOL On the other hand, when I had it shorter, I loved that too.

Don't even think about your chronological age - it really has nothing to do with whether you "should" or "shouldn't" have long hair. If you want long hair, then you should have it! So -go for it and don't worry.

My Grandma passed away in her 90s with long hair. She always had long hair.

ETA - join us on the No Trims in 2011 thread. That'll give you plenty of support.
    Last edited by sanfen; January 11th, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding to post

Length
    14"/19"/40"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Arrow Re: Older Women Growing Hair Long

Thanks, ladies, good points!

I need to have my hubby take a photo of me from the back. It's been long enough for a pony tail wo bobby pins for a few years now. I usually wear it up with a claw clip. I know that
    went out of style, but I still like it.
    It gives it a bit of lift.
    A couple of months ago I stopped bleaching....is there a thread on here about that?
    Thanks for the input, each of you has beautiful hair, I love
    seeing it!
    PS(I look terrible in short hair)

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

Welcome to LHC

I'm 41 and my hair is inching towards BSL (bra strap length). There are quite a few of us 40+ here who have long hair.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Hi LindaCO - I am 50 and growing my hair long again. I had it very long when I was young and I feel more like "myself" with it longer. My grandmother had long hair till she passed at age 91. She wore it up and always looked lovely.

Lady Nereida of the Riptide Shores - LHK
    Renegray: Silver Hair is a Sparkling Diadem

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Claw clips haven't gone out of style around LHC!

It was easy for me. I wanted extra-long hair from grade school on, but I was too impulsive. I'd see someone's cute short haircut and run out and get it without thinking it through. I'd be disappointed and regret it within a couple of months, start growing it, see another cute style and repeat the cycle. I never had the patience to leave my hair alone and let it grow until I reached my mid-40s. It wasn't too late! Yay! (look to the left; see my age) I don't care what anybody else thinks. Their hair is for them, and my hair is for me. Nobody else gets a vote.

Stick around; you'll learn a lot of new style ideas and get all the support you could possibly need.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LindainCO View Post
    Thanks, ladies, good points!

A couple of months ago I stopped bleaching....is there a thread on here about that?
    Thanks for the input, each of you has beautiful hair, I love
    seeing it!
    PS(I look terrible in short hair)
    Welcome LindainCO

There are 2 good threads you might want to look at:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=16951
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=51155

Length
    chin/neck/bra
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

44 year old here Been growing my hair for 2 1/2 years now. Come grow with me