Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

Default 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

I've been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin a day for a couple years and I have to say I don't notice much improvement. I spoke with a woman today who takes 10,000 mg (5000 twice a day) and has gotten results. I'm considering doing this, but it does seem a bit excessive and I'm worried about toxicity. This is especially because I have a history of breast cancer and I'm just extra cautious. But has anyone here taken such a large dose of biotin and if so, has it made a difference?

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: 10,000 mcg of Biotin a day?

I have been taking 10,000 mcg per day for several months now, and it has made a big difference in my growth rate and in new re-growth. I have had no ill effects. Biotin is supposed to be water-soluble, so it doesn't build up in your body as some vitamins can.

Lady Maniai of the Unquenched Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Biotin is actually produced as a bi-product of bacteria living in the intestines and the recommended dose is no higher than 225 mcg because “we” produce a lot of what our bodies need and there isn’t a need to take a lot extra in. In some countries they don’t even recommend taking extra biotin for that reason
    Even though a vitamin is water soluble, it does not mean that it’s okay to pile a mega dose of it in your body. It will probably result in expensive urine since your body can’t absorb it
    Just because it doesn’t store in your body doesn’t mean its problem free to excrete for your system
    Instead of mega-dosing on a single vitamin you should take a look at your entire supplement routine and see if you are getting enough of all the vitamins and minerals that helps hair growth

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

oh my i can feel the pimples already.. i took a similar dose.. and i got pimples EVERYWHERE.. really painful ones.. even on my ankle.. ANKLE! heehee isnt it weird how all caps can make you read something in a screaming voice.. lol.. back to the subject.. i didnt notice anything good coming of it.. just extremely painful huge pimples that left scars all over my shoulders (im the only one who notices it though).. my skin has not been the same since..
    can i call this classic length

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    Instead of mega-dosing on a single vitamin you should take a look at your entire supplement routine and see if you are getting enough of all the vitamins and minerals that helps hair growth
    Would that it were so easy! I have had bad hair my whole life, and have examined EVERYTHING. One thing I know it's not is genetic. My sister had beautiful waist-length hair.

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

It's one that I take more of than you are asking about. As long as your dr gives the ok, no problems.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Hm... I don't mean to offend but you say you have been taking this dose for years now. Maybe the change has been so slow and gradual that you have not noticed it?
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Well I doubt it has made an appreciable change. My hair is so bad that people do not hesitate to tell me that I would look really good with a short haircut. But I just keep hanging onto my locks. I haven't used a blow dryer in 5 years, haven't used cones in 5 years, use shampoo maybe once or twice a week max, do everything I can, and still el crappo hair. When they told me I might need chemotherapy I actually thought, hmm, maybe this is an opportunity for me to start over with a bald head and things will be better?

Thats waaaaaaaaaay too much. Im not sure the exact amount, but I don't think your body is able to absorb that much per day. You might be flushing out what could be saved for another day.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by marla View Post
    Would that it were so easy! I have had bad hair my whole life, and have examined EVERYTHING. One thing I know it's not is genetic. My sister had beautiful waist-length hair.
    Unless your sister is your identical twin, there could still be a genetic factor. I have three sisters, we all have very different hair (colour, type, thickness, growth rate).