Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toning down the orange from henna

Length
    17/28/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Red face Toning down the orange from henna

I need opinions please!

My cousin's wedding is this weekend and I am in the bridal party.

The problem: my hair is hennaed with about an inch and a half of dark blonde/light brown roots and looks fiery orange in the sun. The wedding photos are going to be taken outside and this is not going to look pretty!

I was going to not mess with the color and let my virgin hair grow out, but I am now worried about how these photos will look. I was going to experiment with buxus and henna, but after pouring over that thread I am not sure about how successful this will be.

After more research on the LHC I am now thinking about trying (and desperately need advice about!):

1.) Using buxus only

2.) Using some kind of blue toner

3.) Using a chemical dye

4.) Blue Kool Aid rinse (different I know but it was mentioned in another thread and I'm open to anything!)

I am planning on strand testing before commiting to doing my whole head, but I was wondering if anyone has had success with any of the above methods OR if anyone had a different technique that worked for them.

Advice, opinions, and personal experience greatly needed and appreciated!

P.S.-I have the Chai and Cinnamon bundles from Catherine's site and am going to be strand testing tonight to see how those come out. I know it's a long shot as my hair is a medium brownish red right now (lighter and different from in my avatar), but I figured I would go for it anyway. Plus if it doesn't work I still have the buxus to experiment with!
    Last edited by AmselJoey; September 16th, 2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
    Amsel Joey
    The doggie love of my life

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Toning down the orange from henna

I would not spend this time experimenting with new things. If something goes terribly wrong, you don't have much time to fix it. I would just go ahead and henna the roots and go back to letting it grow out after the wedding. An inch and a half isn't a lot.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17/28/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I know that's what I'm thinking...even though I'm not crazy about the red color I have henna DOES make my hair look shiny and feel healthy.

I still think I will experiment on the hair I have collected over the last few weeks though...why not?
    Amsel Joey
    The doggie love of my life

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    I would not spend this time experimenting with new things. If something goes terribly wrong, you don't have much time to fix it. I would just go ahead and henna the roots and go back to letting it grow out after the wedding. An inch and a half isn't a lot.
    How long does it take to oxidize? I'm concerned that if you henna now, it won't have oxidized in time for the weekend, so you'll be just as bad off.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    :(/:(/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    How long does it take to oxidize? I'm concerned that if you henna now, it won't have oxidized in time for the weekend, so you'll be just as bad off.
    A couple of days.
    Lady Chalchihuitlicue of the Flowing Waters in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Something I did recently that helped darken and drab my length was using chemical dye without mixing with the peroxide developer. I bought Colorsilk brand (cheap and ammonia free) med. brown, and mixed just the bottle of colorant (aka toner) with an equal part of conditioner. Based on strand testing results, I left it on about 1 1/2 hrs. (just on the lower length), but YMMV. It turned out a bit dark, but that was intentional so that the fade would be less of an issue. It worked well, didn't seem to be damaging, and has faded to about the level I want (2 wks. later).

Of course toner can be purchased separately at beauty supply shops, but I don't know if they have any that are ammonia-free.

I still henna my roots, but my previously lightened lower length was too light and too red compared to my virgin hennaed, and I didn't want to henna the length anymore, as I didn't want it deep red or burgundy, but rather browner.
    Last edited by Velouria; September 16th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Something I did recently that helped darken and drab my length was using chemical dye without mixing with the peroxide developer. I bought Colorsilk brand (cheap and ammonia free) med. brown, and mixed just the bottle of colorant (aka toner) with an equal part of conditioner. Based on strand testing results, I left it on about 1 1/2 hrs. (just on the lower length), but YMMV. It turned out a bit dark, but that was intentional so that the fade would be less of an issue. It worked well, didn't seem to be damaging, and has faded to about the level I want (2 wks. later).

Of course toner can be purchased separately at beauty supply shops, but I don't know if they have any that are ammonia-free.

I still henna my roots, but my previously lightened lower length was too light and too red compared to my virgin hennaed, and I didn't want to henna the length anymore, as I didn't want it deep red or burgundy, but rather browner.
    I did not know you can color with just the little color one. Does it do any damages to hair? Did you do the color first or henna?

Type
    2a/M/ii

Just wanted to contribute that based on my few experiments, oxidation time isn't as much of an issue with buxus mixes, because the buxus tones down the orange of the henna from the start.

Length
    14.5/16.75/32
    Type
    2b/F/ii

AmselJoey, I just buxus/hennaed last night after going too orangy from henna. If you want to check out my journal I have pics and my recipe that I used there, if it can help any.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I would buy a box of temporary wash out dye (without any peroxide or ammonia) in a light ashy shade and do a strand test. If it comes out nice, do your whole head.