Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urge to CUT!

Length
    ear/BSL29/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Urge to CUT!

Cute hair style but it will need lots of 'styling' and products and probably straightening... so you will probably end up damaging your hair a bit.
    But in saying that you should enjoy your hair so if you are sure that its what you want to do then think about it for a bit and go for it!

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Every time I have the urge to cut, which isn't often, I remind myself how much I regretted it the last time. By all means, do what you like, but I'm never getting a serious cut again... Trims only!

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I can't say I ever regretted my cuts. I've done two major ones.

I did this one years before the other one I posted. I think the important thing is that after you cut it, you can't regret it. Love it. Once you start second guessing, it's over. If you want long hair again, just remember there are so many styles you can do in the meantime that you might not be able to do with long hair. I had a lot of fun trying new styles that I can't do anymore. It was fun. They were nice phases.

ETA: Also, I swear I lose ten pounds when I cut my hair.

Pixie::Shoulder::APL

I've had that cut and it was a pain to style. I have 2c hair, though, which requires blow-drying and ironing to attain that look. Which I did, and which I suffered the consequences of for years to come while trying to grow the cut out.

If you like styling your hair, go for it, but even with 1c/2a hair, you will probably have to use heat to make it look good, so really long hair is not in your future if you do this cut.

The usual recommendation around here is to wait for 2 weeks before having a haircut. If you still feel like cutting, go for it. And then, pics or it didn't happen

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebums View Post
    If you like styling your hair, go for it, but even with 1c/2a hair, you will probably have to use heat to make it look good, so really long hair is not in your future if you do this cut.
    I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Plenty of people, myself included have grown out heatstyled short hair. Just grow it out to a length where you can put it up or start doing heat-free styles and start trimming from there. Shorter heatstyled hair shows less damage, so even if you grow it out to an acceptable length, the heatstyling in the interim shouldn't be too bad.

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Plenty of people, myself included have grown out heatstyled short hair. Just grow it out to a length where you can put it up or start doing heat-free styles and start trimming from there. Shorter heatstyled hair shows less damage, so even if you grow it out to an acceptable length, the heatstyling in the interim shouldn't be too bad.
    I agree with you. Heat styling *long* hair can be problematic for some people, because long hair is old hair, and more fragile. Also heat styling regularly for the years it takes to *get* long - also problematic.

Heat styling for, oh, a year on relatively young (short) hair, using caution and until it's long enough to put back? Unlikely to be an issue for most hair types, I'd think.

But I'm also the woman who bleached, heat-styled daily, dyed, bleached some more - before growing out, and still bleaches, dyes, and heatstyles on a regular basic. Now, I grant you my goal length is waist, maybe hip, but I've yet to see anything that makes me think my hair will fall apart. Need a trim, maybe, but not break off at my ears.

(In summation: Antique lace? Not my hair, anyway. Not by a long shot, at least not when it's relatively short. Hell, relatively short my hair is freaking kevlar.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyAH View Post
    I agree with you. Heat styling *long* hair can be problematic for some people, because long hair is old hair, and more fragile. Also heat styling regularly for the years it takes to *get* long - also problematic.

Heat styling for, oh, a year on relatively young (short) hair, using caution and until it's long enough to put back? Unlikely to be an issue for most hair types, I'd think.

But I'm also the woman who bleached, heat-styled daily, dyed, bleached some more - before growing out, and still bleaches, dyes, and heatstyles on a regular basic. Now, I grant you my goal length is waist, maybe hip, but I've yet to see anything that makes me think my hair will fall apart. Need a trim, maybe, but not break off at my ears.

(In summation: Antique lace? Not my hair, anyway. Not by a long shot, at least not when it's relatively short. Hell, relatively short my hair is freaking kevlar.
    I am one of the people who can torture my hair endlessly and grow it long without visible damage. I didn't stop doing all that "bad" stuff while growing either. When my hair was at TBL it had been colored, highlighted, colored some more, heat styled...... And it looked beautiful. Not everyone ends up with fragile hair in bad shape. Some of us do just fine.

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    I am one of the people who can torture my hair endlessly and grow it long without visible damage. I didn't stop doing all that "bad" stuff while growing either. When my hair was at TBL it had been colored, highlighted, colored some more, heat styled...... And it looked beautiful. Not everyone ends up with fragile hair in bad shape. Some of us do just fine.
    I have discovered, over years of playing with my hair, that it can handle coloring and heat just fine. Mechanical damage will get me, but otherwise? It does what it's going to do. Feels about the same, has about the same number of split ends (a few, admittedly), if it's 2 inches long, waist length, treated like antique lace, or bleached, dyed, and then blow dried.

Hair 'rules': Never, ever, universal, and best determined by the person wearing the hair.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

here is what i have now

玲弁花

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

IF you decide to get that particular cut, just make sure you let the hairdresser know you don't want her to use the razor for the cut. Looking at the style appears to me it's be razor cut, which although they tell you is no different from a scissor cut...it is! It can cause splits. It can still be achieved with scissors, a good stylist can do amazing things with just his/her shears! It's a really awesome hair cut and if you can see yourself styling it and having fun then why not go for it, but ONLY after you've given it major thought and be sure to go to a trusted hair dresser who doesn't see the picture and take 5 more inches off making it darn near a pixie...which they do depending on how scissor happy the hairdresser can be. I know we are all here with the common goal of growing long hair, but that's because it's what we've chosen...so feel free to choose the hair you want!! As long as it's not done on impulse or to cover up some emotional stress (some times we whack off our hair after a break-up, job loss...) than you shouldn't end up regretting it. If all else fails...hair grows back eventually Keep us updated!
    Last edited by Mrsbaybeegurl; May 4th, 2012 at 10:39 AM.