Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to do about sideburns? (women)

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default what to do about sideburns? (women)

My sideburns are making me crazy.

They are oddly curly. They are not long enough to stay neatly tucked behind my ears, and experience tells me that they never will be.

They come untucked and stick out and make my updos look imperfect. No, they don't make my updos look "softer." They just look stupid and wrong.

I have tried using gel, hairspray, aloe gel...

A few months ago, I hated them so much that I shaved them off. That looked rather odd. It was one of those things that probably would have made people say, "There's something off about that woman's appearance, but I don't know what."

If you have the same problem, please tell me how you handle it. I am ready to take the sissors to them.

Please help me.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    20"/23"/52"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default Re: what to do about sideburns? (women)

I wish i was help, i just wanted to add i have the same problem, sideburns and the back of my neck. Shaving just makes it look odd on me. Maybe trimming and bleach? its worth a try.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I have absolutely no advice because I have the same problem. Sometimes gel works. Sometimes I use bobby pins or barrettes or combs. Sometimes I just pretend it doesn't exist. It's a condition I've learned to live with. I don't think shaving is a good solution.

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Get some face-framing layering.

Length
    23/29/BSL
    Type
    3b/3c/F/M/ii

When I try to pull my hair back in a slick updo, those dreaded baby hairs poke out and I just about want to kill myself.

I find that these are few tricks that really help with this:

1. After a hot shower, slick back those hairs in the direction that you want them to go. I recommend using a brush with the most bristles your hair with stand, or a fine tooth comb. (A BBB would probably work for your hair, but I can't use them in mine... haha)

2. Gel, cream, fix in some way that will make them stay after you've set them back.

3. Lastly, wait for your hair to dry like this and then take it down, style... do whatever! If I let the hair dry in that direction, it'll lay pretty much flat like that until I wash it again.

I really hope this works for you! I wouldn't recommend shaving or bleaching. I think that they both look too unnatural.

If all else fails... just go with it! You never know... it might work!
    ~ Sofoulee ~
    ...the curly girl...

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    Sometimes I just pretend it doesn't exist. It's a condition I've learned to live with. I don't think shaving is a good solution.
    Denial is my favorite coping mechanism, Xandergrammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofoulee View Post
    I find that these are few tricks that really help with this:

1. After a hot shower, slick back those hairs in the direction that you want them to go. I recommend using a brush with the most bristles your hair with stand, or a fine tooth comb. (A BBB would probably work for your hair, but I can't use them in mine... haha)

2. Gel, cream, fix in some way that will make them stay after you've set them back.

3. Lastly, wait for your hair to dry like this and then take it down, style... do whatever! If I let the hair dry in that direction, it'll lay pretty much flat like that until I wash it again.
    Sofoulee, maybe that's the solution. I have been gelling, spraying and setting after my hair is dry, not before. Tomorrow, I'll try that. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you, everyone.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Sofoulee's idea of starting from washed hair works for me. A little aloe after and it really will lie in that direction for a while. I get the baby hairs near my temples and when left to their own devices start wandering around in the breeze making my head look just a little odd. Haha. That's the definite perk of the first day or two after washing. Other than that I'm just used to it happening so as much as it might frustrate me I try not to pay it too much negative mind.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I actually used that tiny electric razor meant for the bikini line (I think it's sold for like $10 at Walgreens) on the hairs, and that has thinned them out quite a bit.

Up to you whether you want to cut, but they have definitely gotten better in my case
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have a thick sideburn on ONE side of my face, its really weird. I just trim it once a week and that keeps it looking normal.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I took Sofoulee's suggestion this morning. After I towel dried, I misted my sideburns with rosewater to get them really damp, then I applied some aloe gel and combed them behind my ears.

I'm happy to report that they stayed almost completely in place all day.