Thread: Oils to make hair thicker/stronger/stop shedding?

Default Oils to make hair thicker/stronger/stop shedding?

So I've been using this coconut/castor/essence oil combination on my hair for about two months now, and while my hair is noticeabely healthier, it seems to be shedding a lot more, and I also feel like my hair is quite thin.
    I've recently (past 3-4 months-ish) stopped using blowdryers and straighteners, have been massaging/oiling frequently, use CO method, wash once a week, braid every night and do many S&D's, yet I'm still shedding a lot, hair seems thin and it breaks very very easily. I just want to know if there's anything that will improve the condition of my hair, especially to combat these things in particular. My hair is 3a (I think) if that helps at all!
    sorry I'm such a newbie, and thanks in advance!

~luvs faerie tale endings SilvraShadows's Avatar
    Length
    shldr/wst/hps
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Oils to make hair thicker/stronger/stop shedding?

It sounds as if you are taking very good care of your hair!

Everyone has their own results with oils. I have read where some do shed more when using an oil, then there are others who believe the essential oil blends have helped with increased growth and decreased shedding.

I began using oils and blends a few years back in hopes of finding something to stop my extra shedding and hopefully help my hair grow faster. Like you great results as far as my hair went but I did tend to shed a bit more when I oiled my scalp. But I persisted because it takes time to see results or for things to adjust. I was trying out various essential oil blends. There were a couple that seemed to help but I really cannot testify to it. I also was taking a good amount of supplements, msm, and then switched to spring horsetail (silica). So all of this might be a factor as to why my hair was doing so well. And honestly I believe the msm helped to keep my shedding at a normal rate.

Yet, even so, oiling my scalp usually resulted in extra shedding. So I no longer oil my scalp unless it is just before I am washing it... the first C in the CWC.

The oil mix you are using is a very good blend. Perhaps try just oiling the length as needed, from the nape of your neck down or just the ends. My hair responds to moisture far better than any oil I have used, especially if I use the oil over a long period of time. For some reason my strands start to feel dryer. So I balance the moisture with the oil and usually oil after I have moisturize.

Like you I have very delicate hair...
    ~ elvea rose ~

...whimsical wisps

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieleigh View Post
    So I've been using this coconut/castor/essence oil combination on my hair for about two months now, and while my hair is noticeabely healthier, it seems to be shedding a lot more, and I also feel like my hair is quite thin.
    I've recently (past 3-4 months-ish) stopped using blowdryers and straighteners, have been massaging/oiling frequently, use CO method, wash once a week, braid every night and do many S&D's, yet I'm still shedding a lot, hair seems thin and it breaks very very easily. I just want to know if there's anything that will improve the condition of my hair, especially to combat these things in particular. My hair is 3a (I think) if that helps at all!
    sorry I'm such a newbie, and thanks in advance!
    All of these things are happening to me too. I am beginning to think it's scalp health with the added oil, but I would like to hear what others think.

I also would agree with Silvra- supplements are the way I am turning next.

growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    18"/35"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Each person's hair differs. Castor oil doesn't agree with me at all. I have tried it many times with bad results: shedding. But coconut oil and sesame oil (gingelly oil) are my favorites. Experiment for a while and you will know what suits you best!

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Hey, new at this too, also a 3a. I would recommend what was previously stated, not adding oil to the scalp. I've been adding oils to my ends without any extra shedding. Maybe those oils aren't reacting well with the natural oils already in your scalp? wish i could help more, good luck

Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

I experience more shedding when I oil my scalp as well. I also shed when my scalp gets too greasy from sebum. I think when there is too much oil the pores start to get clogged and hairs just start to pop out at the root. When my hair is clean I can feel when my hair is being pulled from the root but not so much when my hair is oily.

Length
    tba/tba/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I notice more shedding when I oil at times, too. Quite puzzling! Unfortunately for me, unless I only oil every once in a while, my ends seem to get dryer. :[ Highly disappointing, since I would just love to replace most of the conditioners I use with oils.

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Mint View Post
    I notice more shedding when I oil at times, too. Quite puzzling! Unfortunately for me, unless I only oil every once in a while, my ends seem to get dryer. :[ Highly disappointing, since I would just love to replace most of the conditioners I use with oils.

Yeah, while oils seal moisture in, they also seal it out, hence the drying.

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

What I have noticed when using oil on my scalp, is not that I shed more, but just that loose hairs are easier to brush out, While they normally stick in somewhere in my big bush of hair.
    Maybe that could be it, but I don't know if that would be the same with thin hair?

Insta: @giftedcursed