Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Rough hairdressers?

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Rough hairdressers?

Also adding - I have had a lot of nice hairdressers too. But its your horrible experiences that really stick out in your mind and make you scared for your next appointment if it is someone you are unfamiliar with. My husband is an example... he had his hair trimmed for the majority of his life, but the last time he went he had this woman who was cutting his hair and announced to the whole salon how horrible his psoriasis was. That is something he was very embarrassed about, and for the whole salon to hear about it and then turn around to look at him and his "worst psoriasis they have ever seen".... that was extremely embarrassing. He never went back to a salon. Went out the next day and bought a home-trimming kit, and I have cut his hair for him ever since.

His psoriasis is no longer bad, in fact, it is almost gone. But I still don't think he would ever go back to a salon.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I am sorry to hear about your husband's experience, how embarrassing indeed. I have heard stylists do this when I've been to other salons with friends, thankfully the lady that does my hair works in a smaller salon with no other cackling hens around. If your hubby ever wanted to get someone else to do his hair you could probably help him check for a smaller salon like the one I go to. I know the bigger "snazzier" places are really popular but every now and again you get lucky enough to find that "diamond in the rough". I have never been able to grow my hair out past shoulder length with any stylist I've ever been to except the one that I've been seeing for 8 years now. She's always gentle with my hair and knows it in and out, I really honestly can not say enough good things about her and if anyone is in the Louisville, KY area and needs a good calm stylist that will be gentle and not ruin your tresses PM me. Not meaning to advertise, but I know that long hair friendly stylists are few and far between!
    *Chin* - *Shoulder* - *APL* - *BSL* - *Waist*

Length
    BSL/Thigh/Knee

I'm really lucky. My Sister-in-law is the daughter of a hair dresser and does everyone's hair in our family. She is really good about only taking enough to keep my hemline clean and has done the trim dry the last few times because my hair is so thick and she takes so little that it is truly pointless. She also let's me detangle. My brother picked well!
    Hanging out at mid-thigh
    Lady Randiriel, Protectress of Testudines, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

The hair dressers in my life know the naughty mess is the sacred naughty mess when it comes to them touching it. And all contact with my hair is a privilege that is bestowed upon them after years of building trust. They treat my hair accordingly, because they know I am obviously crazy.

Length
    Pixie/Ear/N/A
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

My hair dresser had a problem with catching my earrings so I finally told her last time I was there 'please watch the earrings because it hurts when you hit them'. You know what she said? 'Oh that's right I've caught them on accident a few times, I'm so sorry, I will make sure to stay away from them this time!' Easy as that. I go to a Great Clips so its definitely not a big fancy salon. Maybe its just that she is a nice, middle aged woman and really values me and DH's patronage though I would tell her nicely or ask her nicely to be gentler. Maybe you should tell/show her a few tips and tricks on how to treat your hair?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
    Lady Aoibheall, Protector of Penguins, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I used to hate getting my hair done - I had multiple pircings in my ears and they never failed to pull them.
    ~ Something witty this way comes ~

Length
    24/30/44in
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

I NEVER go to the salons anymore because they tear out alot of hair during the washing and brushing afterward..They tried to vigorously brush my wet hair! I was like no, stop! I insisted on having my hair washed with my own shampoo/conditioner, and No brushing or blow drying of it afterward. They sat there and argued with me in front of customers! I stood my ground though..If you do ever go to the salon you HAVE to be stern when asking what you want. Otherwise they'll try to tell you what they thinks best, and have you leave with only half a head of hair that you came in there with. I seriously took a good look around.. no one visiting that salon had long hair, thick hair or healthy looking hair.

Length
    14"/-/-
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I am already encountering this problem, and I have a pixie cut. Not that I see professionals - only other students - but I feel like my hair is yanked out with a round brush. And don't get me started on those metal jaw clips.

Length
    16"/30"/33"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Burn my head with the bow dryer too close. Never again!

My previous hairdresser flat ironed my hair for the very first time and was pulling so hard I heard my hair snapping. I was *very* angry, and she knew it. I had all these broken hairs sticking straight up from my scalp. Grrrrr....