Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Up-Dos for people with ears that stick out

Second star to the right and then straight on till morning
    Length
    17.0/18.0/bsl

Default Up-Dos for people with ears that stick out

It's weird one to ask, but my 'wing-nut' ears have been one of the biggests reasons that I've never grown my hair out before, because all the gorgeous up-do's I would want to create would leave my ears prominently on display. They aren't disfiguringly bad, but Im still very self-consious about them. Does any one have any up-do suggestions that will keep my ears covered?

Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Up-Do's for people with ears that stick out

ya know..i used to have the same problem. I would never wear my hair up because of my ears. but then someone said something about them being just natural. Saying we need them. and i was like..yea.i should appreciate them! So i just started wearing up-dos in my room. Then around the house...then outside. Then to school.Sometimes i look in the mirror but my thoughts about my ears only last a few seconds since i am now used to it. So maybe just starting slowly and working to get comfortable with them?

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Up-Do's for people with ears that stick out

Hey you beat me to it! I was going to post something similar. Today I have a lazy English braid that is sort of lopped over my stickiest-out ear (I have one 'normal' ear and one that sticks out horribly), but I have to keep redoing the braid because it all keeps falling down. I can't pull the braid tighter because I think it tears my hair. The braid is kinda hanging over my right shoulder (i.e. most protruding ear's side).

I think I am over looking ugly though with updos, and have realized that people rarely see me head on, and probably don't notice my ears much in updos.

I have considered looking into surgery to get the one ear under control, or looking on line for stuff that would pin it back.

I too did not grow my hair long mainly because when I wear it down my ear pokes through my thin, straight hair and people have on occasion pulled my hair over it, saying 'ooh I can't stand that! Your ear is poking through your hair'.

Well, take a look at J-Lo and Kate Hudson. Their ears stick out too.
    Last edited by MsBubbles; January 19th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Length
    20/34/37
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Default Re: Up-Dos for people with ears that stick out

My ears poke out through my hair, too. My right ear, especially, and you can always see it in any of my length pictures. I got over it by decorating my ears. Sometimes, when I wear my hair down, it looks like my hair is pierced because the earrings poke out of my hair further than my ears do.

Length
    ~20"/45"/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I can't disagree with the other posters who encourage you to embrace your ears the way they are. I was never big on updos for myself for a number of reasons including my short neck. I've finally decided that my neck is the length that it is and that's the way I'm made. I will wear my hair up anyway. :-)

But at the same time, I know how hard it can be sometimes. So finding styles that you feel comfortable in and accentuate your favorite features while not drawing attention to your less favorite features is not a bad thing. I also have a flat head shape in back and a fairly angular facial structure. So I feel most comfortable and attractive in updoes that have some softness and fullness to them. That said, I have gotten to the point in life where it doesn't bother me much, so I still do wear it pulled back tightly when I don't have time to fuss with fluffing and arranging. :-) For someone with prominent ears, I would think that some soft fringe around the face and in front of the ears would soften the look. Doesn't even have to be true bangs/fringe. You could just draw out the wispies that tend to occur naturally around most people's hairline. Also, I think some volume along the sides of the head would balance things. Instead of pulled tightly straight back at the sides, make it a bit looser and messier maybe?

Good luck!

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Length
    waist/tbl/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    I got over it by decorating my ears.
    Me too. I never liked my ears, but then I started to pierce them (I've got about 10 ear piercings atm) and suddenly it was fun to show them off.

Account Closed by Member Request

What I am giggling about is, all I could see was "Updo for people with ears" and not the rest of it!

Length
    2"/25"/30
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I was going to ask the same question. Funny I had very short hair for years and got used to my ears, but I had the top kind of puffed out and/or spiked so I felt it balanced off my ears. Now that my hair is long I'm going through the whole I gotta hide my ears thing. I tried decorating. On my birthday this year I added earring hole number 3. I loved it, but in 6 months they kept getting infected and I finally had to let them close up. So much for decorating my ears.

So, I too am interested in answers to this topic.

Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine View Post
    Me too. I never liked my ears, but then I started to pierce them (I've got about 10 ear piercings atm) and suddenly it was fun to show them off.
    You have ten and I can't get a third one ? Life is not fair , I'm going to kill my dh ;and here d is not for dear, guys.

Length
    BUZZ/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

my ears stick out on purpose

(don't mind the zombieface)