Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Default Re: No EEVO ever for me again!

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    From what i've read it seems that people find it harder to remove oils with shampoo and a CO wash is much more effective. I think i've used 'poo once or twice on oiled hair but then conditioned anyway so never noticed a problem.
    That said, i don't use EVOO so can't give specific advice on that, but i remove castor oil with a CO wash and i think that's one of the thickest oils i can think of.
    Troublr is, I can't CO. My hair gets build-up after one try!
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotica View Post
    Troublr is, I can't CO. My hair gets build-up after one try!
    What about using conditioner first to remove the oil....needs to be left on a while to be effective, then rinsing and doing a normal S&C afterwards? I'm not being like "you MUST use oil!" just thinking of ideas so that you have the option if you decide you want to
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

What about using conditioner first to remove the oil....needs to be left on a while to be effective, then rinsing and doing a normal S&C afterwards? I'm not being like "you MUST use oil!" just thinking of ideas so that you have the option if you decide you want to
    Could work. But I think I'm going to stick with the lighter oils for now.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Ah fair enough, like i say i don't use olive oil either, i only tried it once or twice and wasn't impressed...though i'm thinking of trying again as my hair is very different now compared to then and really it would be odd for my hair not to like it as it loves every other oil i've tried.

Type
    1b/F/ii

CO doesn't do anything to remove the oil from my hair. not even when I CO first and then S&C afterwards.

straight up shampoo is the most effective for me. applied repeatedly. which ends up doing more damage that the oil might have done good.

Why are people using cooking oils (Olive Oil, EVOO is a type of Olive Oil -- it's just a branding label by Rachel Ray that is made popular and simply stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil and she gets to charge more for it from what I see on the olive oil shelf), and not carrier oils such as Jojoba, Coconut (the one for hair & skin, not the cooking/salad dressing version), Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Oil and so on....???

Any oiling, if left as a leave-in, should be light.

You can heavily oil with a carrier oil if intended to wash it out within 8 hours or less. In point of fact, though, you don't need a LOT of oil to heavily oil -- just heavier than for a leave-in.

In my demonstrating how to oil, I note most people use way too much oil when intending to leave in. This is the most common comment folks share when they see the demonstration.

Yes, I recognize there will still be folks for whom oiling with a carrier oil won't work, but for heaven's sake: Don't use cooking oils such as olive oil of any kind, nor things such as flax seed oil, or shortening of some kind.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Sorry to hear your hair doesn't like EVOO, Hypnotica! Mine absolutely *hearts* it...

When I do a heavy pre-wash oiling, I use about a teaspoon or two of EVOO. It soaks in, and any residue is easily removed by CWC-ing. I use a light conditioner as the first C, then a diluted liquid shampoo, and finally a heavier conditioner last.

Heidi, I can't speak for everyone, but I like EVOO because it is one of three oils shown to penetrate the hair shaft (the other two being coconut and avocado, if memory serves) - and my hair likes it (unlike coconut and avocado oils)!

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    Why are people using cooking oils (Olive Oil, EVOO is a type of Olive Oil -- it's just a branding label by Rachel Ray that is made popular and simply stands for Extra Virgin Olive Oil and she gets to charge more for it from what I see on the olive oil shelf), and not carrier oils such as Jojoba, Coconut (the one for hair & skin, not the cooking/salad dressing version), Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Oil and so on....???

Any oiling, if left as a leave-in, should be light.

You can heavily oil with a carrier oil if intended to wash it out within 8 hours or less. In point of fact, though, you don't need a LOT of oil to heavily oil -- just heavier than for a leave-in.

In my demonstrating how to oil, I note most people use way too much oil when intending to leave in. This is the most common comment folks share when they see the demonstration.

Yes, I recognize there will still be folks for whom oiling with a carrier oil won't work, but for heaven's sake: Don't use cooking oils such as olive oil of any kind, nor things such as flax seed oil, or shortening of some kind.

heidi w.
    Heidi, i don't understand why you are against using olive oil intended for cooking on the hair? If buying extra virgin olive oil it simply means that it is from the first pressing and is unrefined. It has a long history of use for hair and skin espeially in europe....sure some people don't get on with it....same as some don't get on with just about anything but that doesn't mean that nobody else should use it. I also don't understand you saying only to use coconut oil intended for cosmetic use and not the kind intended to eat. I've used most types of coconut oil and by far find the unrefined gave best results, and the cosmetic use one the worst result.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Heidi, i don't understand why you are against using olive oil intended for cooking on the hair? If buying extra virgin olive oil it simply means that it is from the first pressing and is unrefined. It has a long history of use for hair and skin espeially in europe....sure some people don't get on with it....same as some don't get on with just about anything but that doesn't mean that nobody else should use it. I also don't understand you saying only to use coconut oil intended for cosmetic use and not the kind intended to eat. I've used most types of coconut oil and by far find the unrefined gave best results, and the cosmetic use one the worst result.
    For me too every oils I use has to be for food and unrefined or else it does not go on this hair or skin. And who is racheal ray and what does she have to do with evoo????

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

That is odd, given the amount of evoo that you used. Evoo has been reported to be difficult to wash out following a honey lightening recipe but usually when a tablespoon or more has been used.

I actually had one report that coconut oil was more difficult to wash out of the hair following honey lightening.

Honey lightening on hennaed hair can be tricky, but it has been reported to be quite successful.

Like anything else, there are variables.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2339
    Last edited by ktani; November 11th, 2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: clarification