Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly hair layered? Growing out dye?

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Curly hair layered? Growing out dye?

Hello everyone!
    I’m new here and a multiple problem case:
    My hair:
    mid back length
    curly
    layered, but no hair cut since march 2010
    highlighted but no dye since july 2010
    dry, damaged, breaking, frizzy, split ends

I moved to the US and couldn’t find a good hairstylist for my curls, so I always looked like a mop.
    The lady who did my highlights fried my hair soooo bad. Now it’s just dry and damaged.
    Back in September I had a bad accident and was on bed rest for months.
    When I finally got up and saw myself in the mirror I got a huge schock.
    My roots looked like a nightmare and no haircut.
    But then I looked closer and realized how soft, shiny and healthy my virgin hair is. And even my natural hair color, a very dark ash blonde started to look appealing. I am dyeing for over 15 years now and already forgot my natural hair color. I kind of like it.
    That was about the time when I found LHC.
    All these pretty ladies with their amazing, beautiful manes made me think: That is the hair I want. Long and healthy.

What kind of cut do you have, when your hair is curly and super long?
    Do you have layers?

I would like to grow out my dye (very light blonde on dark ash blonde, maybe even light brown).
    The roots are bothering me pretty bad. It looks “trashy”, like not maintained at all.
    I am supposed to be a bridesmaid in August at a very fancy, elegant wedding and don’t know what to do now with my hair. I really wouldn’t like to get highlights again or even dye back in my natural color.
    I just don’t want to touch this amazingly healthy virgin hair.

What would you do?

Every response from all you pros out there is highly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Length
    Pixie/SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Default Re: Curly hair layered? Growing out dye?

I'm no pro, but I can tell you what I have for a style, my hair too is long and curly,and VERY thicvk so I understand your need for a style to keep it as polished looking as curly hair can be! My hair is medium texture, porous and very thick. Right now I have 2c/3a/3b curls and it's 1 inch from bra strap length. I have long layers, starting around shoulder length down to the bottom, maybe 3 layers total and grown out bangs that are finally long enough that they look like a face-framing layer. I can't tell you enough how much having long layers has helped my hair's style, without them I get the triangle look going on with it being flat on top and poofy ends! Congrats on finding your way over to the LHC, I'm sure there will be more seasoned long hairs who could help you more, but I HTH!! Posting a picture of your current hair may help too so we can give better input
    3A , Porous, Medium texture, Normal Elasticity. Pixie~Ear Length~Chin~ Nape~CBL (11/30/14)~4 inches until APL~MB~Waist. * 1 Corinthians 11:15 *

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Willow View Post
    I'm no pro, but I can tell you what I have for a style, my hair too is long and curly,and VERY thicvk so I understand your need for a style to keep it as polished looking as curly hair can be! My hair is medium texture, porous and very thick. Right now I have 2c/3a/3b curls and it's 1 inch from bra strap length. I have long layers, starting around shoulder length down to the bottom, maybe 3 layers total and grown out bangs that are finally long enough that they look like a face-framing layer. I can't tell you enough how much having long layers has helped my hair's style, without them I get the triangle look going on with it being flat on top and poofy ends! Congrats on finding your way over to the LHC, I'm sure there will be more seasoned long hairs who could help you more, but I HTH!! Posting a picture of your current hair may help too so we can give better input
    Thanks! Your hair looks really nice! Do you use gel, mousse,...?
    I'll post a picture as soon as I find my camera - promise!

Type
    2a/F/ii

Talking Re: Curly hair layered? Growing out dye?

If you want to even out your hair color I suggest waiting to figure out what that is first, then possibly either coloring your hair one last time or using some sort of henna/indigo combo to cover the chemical dye. Lush has some good henna/indigo pre-mixed dyes. Always be careful and do a strand test to make sure you don't end up with green hair, which can happen when you combine indigo and peroxide.
    I'm really excited for you growing out your dye, it's a long process but it's totally worth it.
    If you haven't already, there are some interesting articles worth reading on this site. I reccomend these:
    Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (and all the articles linked to it)
    Expressions with Henna- Coloring Hair Naturally
    ETA: NaturallyCurly.com has some good articles also: NaturallyCurly.com
    And this is what I consider the curly hair bible (make sure to click next it is 6 pages long): LiveCurlyLiveFree
    Lots of luck on your journey and welcome to LHC!
    Last edited by Roscata; February 13th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roscata View Post
    If you want to even out your hair color I suggest waiting to figure out what that is first, then possibly either coloring your hair one last time or using some sort of henna/indigo combo to cover the chemical dye. Lush has some good henna/indigo pre-mixed dyes. Always be careful and do a strand test to make sure you don't end up with green hair, which can happen when you combine indigo and peroxide.
    I'm really excited for you growing out your dye, it's a long process but it's totally worth it.
    If you haven't already, there are some interesting articles worth reading on this site. I reccomend these:
    Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating (and all the articles linked to it)

And this is what I consider the curly hair bible (make sure to click next it is 6 pages long): LiveCurlyLiveFree
    Lots of luck on your journey and welcome to LHC!
    Thank you Roscata!
    I just went to visit the links. I LOVE the Damaged Hair one.
    There is so much really good information and advice.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyZ View Post
    Thank you Roscata!
    I just went to visit the links. I LOVE the Damaged Hair one.
    There is so much really good information and advice.
    You're very welcome!
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask me and/or add me.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

My hair is at hip and I have lots of layers.
    Have you considered applying a Demi color on your light blonde lengths to blend with your natural dark ash roots ? A Demi color is less damaging than a permanent color and can make the growing out stage easier. I color my hair and I only use a Demi color.
    Either way, good luck to you !

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by UltraBella View Post
    My hair is at hip and I have lots of layers.
    Have you considered applying a Demi color on your light blonde lengths to blend with your natural dark ash roots ? A Demi color is less damaging than a permanent color and can make the growing out stage easier. I color my hair and I only use a Demi color.
    Either way, good luck to you !
    Thanks UltraBella! OMG! Your hair is GORGEOUS!!!!!!
    Well, if I would apply demi color on my blonde lengths, how close do you think it can come to my natural color?
    A friend of mine tried it, and the color turned out green. I wouldn't like green hair.

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

A professional would be able to come very close. The trick is to use a combination of neural and ash tones so you don't end up with the green tone that can occur when you apply straight ash to bleached hair. It's much harder to achieve the desired look on your own and I wouldn't recommend it.

Length
    Pixie/SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Roscata View Post
    AW thank you! You just made my day! I agree with Roscata, if you ever get a chance those are some great sites to check out, all the articles/forum over at naturallycurly.com are very helpful as well! I myself have learned a lot from their website how to take better care of my curls. I do use gel, but my hair can't decide which gel it likes better so I keep going between herbal essences totally twisted and biolage gelee, and I put a little bit of a heavier conditioner (like herbal essences hello hydration) on my hair underneath the gel to act as a moisturizing base. If ya ever need anything or just want to talk I'll be around, feel free to drop me a message!
    3A , Porous, Medium texture, Normal Elasticity. Pixie~Ear Length~Chin~ Nape~CBL (11/30/14)~4 inches until APL~MB~Waist. * 1 Corinthians 11:15 *