Page 75 of 221 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Yucca Vs. Soapwort Vs. Aritha/Soapnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Just wanted to report that with the foam wash method, really not much "action" is needed. Less is best! Even slight rubbing isn't necessary, I noticed, because my hair actually looks best when I basically just wipe the foam on all over, leave it on 30 seconds, then rinse out!
    Interesting! Good to know actually. I'd probably still massage the scalp when I'll be rinsing it out.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

So for about a week now my hair hasnt been feeling as full as they did. After washing my hair they look pretty clean but they look lifeless and def not fuller. First i thought may my soapnut liquid (made from the whole soapnut) wasnt strong enough so i used powdered soapnut but my hair did not change. May be my liquid wasnt strong enough AND i prob didnt use enough powder? Please advice.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Sorry to hear that! I think maybe you are right, maybe it is not quite strong enough. What is your recipe for the liquid?

I made it a while ago so i dont remember. i know i didnt use 22 soapnuts i used a lot less and i used i think 2 cups of water. I boiled soapnuts in the liquid for about 15 mins and i know if you boil it makes it stronger and thats why i think i used less then 22 soapnuts. I am out of the whole soapnuts but i will try using more powder. Hopefully that will work.

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I've been following this thread with interest for a while.

I have used aritha powder many times, and am fond of it, but I don't like how difficult it is to rinse out all of the herbal bits.

The idea of using a liquid is enticing, but I'm not clear on one thing...

It sounds as if folks use a minimum of five soapnuts per shampoo. How many soapnuts are in a bag? (Lots of places seem to sell them in grams, and I don't have a clue how many soap nuts are in a gram.)

I am a daily shampooer. If, say, there are 25 soapnuts in an order, then they would only last me five days. That wouldn't make much sense to me.

Can someone clarify this for me? (No pun intended.)

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Neoma View Post
    I've been following this thread with interest for a while.

I have used aritha powder many times, and am fond of it, but I don't like how difficult it is to rinse out all of the herbal bits.

The idea of using a liquid is enticing, but I'm not clear on one thing...

It sounds as if folks use a minimum of five soapnuts per shampoo. How many soapnuts are in a bag? (Lots of places seem to sell them in grams, and I don't have a clue how many soap nuts are in a gram.)

I am a daily shampooer. If, say, there are 25 soapnuts in an order, then they would only last me five days. That wouldn't make much sense to me.

Can someone clarify this for me? (No pun intended.)
    The 5 or so Soapnuts make a cup or two of liquid depending on how you make it, and you only use about an ounce or so of liquid per wash (if you use the technique Mellie has in her siggy) I was able to get about 3 cups from my 5 soapnuts by boiling them for 20 minutes, and I really only use about an ounce or two when I washed yesterday. I'm oiling today so we'll see how much I'll have to use tomorrow.
    Lady Ismene of the Silver Spiral in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2010 Goals: WAIST by End of June w/ the help of Indian Herbs and Oils

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Neoma - In general, one batch of soapnut liquid lasts through at least 3 or 4 washes (depends on your recipe/how much liquid you use.) And, if I can estimate right, there's probably at least 100 soapnuts per half pound. Actually, if you are interested, I have some soapnuts that never worked for me, PM me if you'd like!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi_234 View Post
    Millie, about our updating soapnut post -
    I think people who have scalp (and hair) that tends to dryness, they can definitely leave out the lemon juice part. I know I do, and it works for me. I think you should point out that lemon juice is a recommendation (especially for the oily types), as some people don't like lemon juice anywhere near their hair.
    i like it much better without the lemon added too!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post
    The 5 or so Soapnuts make a cup or two of liquid depending on how you make it, and you only use about an ounce or so of liquid per wash (if you use the technique Mellie has in her siggy) I was able to get about 3 cups from my 5 soapnuts by boiling them for 20 minutes, and I really only use about an ounce or two when I washed yesterday. I'm oiling today so we'll see how much I'll have to use tomorrow.
    I like them better when I soak about a handful soapnuts in a pint of water overnight until the mixture looks the colour of black tea. I tried boiling the same amount and they made my hair greasy, I dont know why but soaking overnight works better. I followed Mellies instructions omitting the lemon juice and apply it the same way as she does, she knows her soapnuts! worked great for me, with a pre oil id reccomend leaving the mixture on for 10 minutes before rinsing off.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefeather71 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    Neoma - In general, one batch of soapnut liquid lasts through at least 3 or 4 washes (depends on your recipe/how much liquid you use.) And, if I can estimate right, there's probably at least 100 soapnuts per half pound. Actually, if you are interested, I have some soapnuts that never worked for me, PM me if you'd like!
    Thank you, eaglefeather71 and DolphinPrincess. Your explanations really clarified this for me. I was under the misimpression that you used all of the liquid in one wash.

DolphinPrincess, I will PM you.

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small