Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to relax curly hair – My Crown Wrap method

Length
    BSL/35"/TBL?
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How to relax curly hair – My Crown Wrap method

That's a good idea! I've been wanting to try to make my hair straighter, every once in a while, so I'll try this soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sissy View Post
    I have tried Heidi's method and it did work. Here are some pictures:

It definitely made it more relaxed that air drying, which can be seen here:

I realise my hair is uneven and in severe need of a trim I'm getting one soon!

I think your hair looks better just air dried. But either way very nice hair.

Sissy - When you let your hair air dry do you comb it while wet before letting it dry?

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by plainjanegirl View Post
    I think your hair looks better just air dried. But either way very nice hair.
    I second that actually.
    I said the original post that it doesn't flatter hair, but it does make it look relaxed. But better this than any heat styling or chemical relaxing IMO.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    3"/APL/Butt
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

oh in my family they call it a dubi (I don't know how to spell it but its pronounced doobie) I've never tried it before. but I will try it instead of straightening my hair with a straightening iron. I have really think hair so I'm pretty sure it'll work. after I wash my hair whenever we get hot water back in the house (a pipe broke in the basement today) I'm going to give it a try and if it works out well I'll post pics.
    but then again, now that I think about it, I have no bobby pins, I'll try to do it without and just wrap a scarf around it

Length
    3"/APL/Butt
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

really thin* hair (I can't edit my post yet, sorry)

Length
    BSL/35"/TBL?
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Here's my attempt at it:

After wrapping:

Normal day:

After I took it out from being wrapped, it was frizzy and poofy (actually poofier than this picture shows), so it doesn't seem to work for me. If I was going to straighten my hair with a flat iron, though, this might be worth doing to make my hair easier to work through.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rose J. View Post
    Here's my attempt at it:

After wrapping:

Normal day:

After I took it out from being wrapped, it was frizzy and poofy (actually poofier than this picture shows), so it doesn't seem to work for me. If I was going to straighten my hair with a flat iron, though, this might be worth doing to make my hair easier to work through.
    Yeah I can see that. Maybe you took it out before it was 100% dry? It does take ages to dry, and usually the nape area remains little damp at the end. The ends, which are secured above your forehead, should be completely dry.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

My mother taught me something very similar, but instead of pins she used to use the foot part of a cut pantyhose.

But the pins do look easier than the pantyhose - it's hard to get all of your hair in if you don't have anything to help hold them while you get the tight-ish pantyhose on.

Results on my hair were meh... But it's been years since I've trying wrapping my hair like that, and we usually used it in combination with a blow drier - makes the whole thing faster.

Oh! And my mother used to wrap the hair in one direction, and after a while, she'd redo it in the other direction.

The pin method does look easier, but I thought I'd write about another alternative, too.

Hey,
    I do a less fancy form of a crown wrap to make my hair wavey. I am a uber curly hair!

1. Form an all in ponytail with the index finger and thumb of one hand.
    2. With the other hand gently grip the hair and twist it round until you reach near the tips (the hair should remain together when you remove your index finger and thumb).
    3. Bring your twisted hair round itself.
    4. Then push the end through the loop and pull until loop tightens around your own hair.
    5. If you have a lot of ends left over either redo steps 1-4, or redo step 4 on its own until the tips disapear.

This is great for keeping hair out of your face, allowing oil to sink in and for making curly hair straighter. I usually go to work with my hair in one big plait (secured only at the end with a ribbon plaited in and tied at the end) then I do steps 3-5.
    HENNAHEAD&RIBBON-ADDICT